Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

22 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I  saw A Summer Place only once many years ago, so I don't recall too much about it,

except that much of it was unintentionally funny, as many of those 1950s teenagers in

trouble flicks were. The song was pretty nifty.

I always wished Sandy's beau in the film had been Tab Hunter instead of old boring Troy Donahue!

8 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

There was a huge difference in their ages, but I remember Mac was a good guy and good influence on Rachel and Ada ( Constance Ford) was all for their marriage. Bill Hayes played Doug Williams and his real life wife was Susan Seaforth Hayes who played Julie Williams were on Days of Our Lives. I don't remember sexpot twins and which soap they were on but Deidre Hall who played Dr. Marlena Evans, a psychiatrist, on Days of Our Lives had a real life twin named Andrea Hall and there was a storyline for a long time that had them on the show together.

Couldn't agree more Vautrin, the 2 shows were a lot of fun :)

Yes he was, though he was a little on the uptight side as I recall. Yes, Williams was the name. I had

forgotten. I also remember Dr. Marlena Evans, one of the best looking psychiatrists ever. With a

little help from the internet I have found the teenage sexpot, though I got the details wrong. She

was one of the Landers' sisters, who were not twins. She appeared on Somerset, the spin off of

Another World, which ran from 1970 to 1976. One of the transplant characters from Another World

was Lahoma Vane, played by Ann Wedgeworth. She was sort of a blue collar semi-vixen who did

and said the most outrageous things, but with a twinkle in her eye. I thought she was one of the

kookiest characters on the NBC soaps, down to her name. Like sand through the hourglass, so

are the days of our lives. Whatever.

LAHOMA VANE? LOL! Looks like Fear Thy Neighbor is history. I hought it was odd there were no promos for its return. Maybe they had a few leftover episodes from the last season, so they showed them. Weird!

7 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Ann Wedgeworth was a wonderful actress. She won the Tony as Best Actress for the Broadway show Chapter Two. She was married to Rip Torn at one point. Excellent actress and yes I remember her on the soaps. There was a thread on the site about Ann Wedgeworth after she passed away.

I think she was also on Laverne & Shirley in the last season(s) or so when the gang moves from Milwaukee to LA. I think she played one of their neighbors?

13 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Ann Wedgeworth was a wonderful actress. She won the Tony as Best Actress for the Broadway show Chapter Two. She was married to Rip Torn at one point. Excellent actress and yes I remember her on the soaps. There was a thread on the site about Ann Wedgeworth after she passed away.

DIed far too young. I thought she should've got a supporting Oscar nomination for playing Patsy Cline's mother in Sweet Dreams.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think she was also on Laverne & Shirley in the last season(s) or so when the gang moves from Milwaukee to LA. I think she played one of their neighbors?

Ann Wedgeworth was on Season 4 of THREE'S COMPANY, which was the first season that Don Knotts appeared as Mr. Furley (who was the new landlord after the Ropers sold the building).   Ann Wedgeworth's character Lana, a 40ish divorcee, was interested in Jack Tripper while Lana was pursued by Mr. Furley. Lana was only in 9 episodes.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

If we are talking about wooden coat hangers and abortions, I hope no one brings up another clothing item, namely hatpins, and Frank Sinatra's mother who was supposedly known as Hatpin Dolly if I recall correctly, in her neighborhood where there were many wayward women in the same trouble as Carol Lynley.

Loved the part of BD where Brandon's mommy wants to give him the book on you-know-what!

I've heard that Ole Blue Eyes' mother was an abortionist though I've never looked very deeply

into the matter. I guess if it's in one of the well-researched biographies it's probably true. I

think Marsha Hunt was playing one of those stereotypical well-meaning mothers who have too

many things to do to follow through.

8 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I always wished Sandy's beau in the film had been Tab Hunter instead of old boring Troy Donahue!

My opinion is you've seen one teen idol you've seen them all, though I do admit that Tab Hunter is

a better name than Troy Donahue.

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

LAHOMA VANE? LOL! Looks like Fear Thy Neighbor is history. I hought it was odd there were no promos for its return. Maybe they had a few leftover episodes from the last season, so they showed them. Weird!

With that name you can almost guess what the character might be. She was a hoot in that role.

She played a similar type of character in other places, but I don't think she ever outdid Lahoma.

Several nights ago they ran the three episodes from this season, if you can call it a season. That

was a strange end even for ID. I hope it will come back some time in the future. 

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

and when it went off the air, the host on SIRIUS CLASSIC RADIO came on and mentioned that the actress was none other than MARSHA HUNT, who is apparently still alive at 101!

Just off the top of my head, Lorna, I think there are 4 Centenarians still with us from what many here would consider the "Golden Age" of Hollywood.  Besides Marsha Hunt, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, and Norman Lloyd are still alive.  I would hazard a guess that within any 2-week block of programming on TCM, you can find at least one movie with any one of these 4 actors or actresses in the cast.  If there are any other men and women over 100 years old from that time period with connections to Hollywood films, their numbers have to be understandably low. 

• Like 2

Blue+Denim.jpg

this is shaped almost like an LP COVER...

it's also not a very good layout. You have the FACE of the GORGEOUS LEAD (and known name and "the draw") OBSCURED, the colors are ALL-AROUND HIDEOUS, there is the "AURTHUR" thing, and then there is all that VERBIAGE.

DON DRAPER would be incensed.

Now, DO THE WHOLE THING IN SHADES OF BLUE, make BRANDON BAREFOOT AS WELL, and show me THAT GORGEOUS CREAM-CHEESE FACE OF HIS or you are ALL SO ****ING FIRED by FOUR.

PS- AND SISTER MARY FRANCIS: SPELL "ARTHUR" RIGHT AND SEND SOMEONE TO GET A DAMN DICTIONARY BECAUSE IT'S 1959 AND GOOGLE HASN'T BEEN INVENTED. CHRIST ON A CRACKER, MAN, I THOUGHT YOU WENT TO YALE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

She had some great lines in that movie, I paraphrase from memory "You're just too mean to live lately" and "It's a hard bed you laid now lie in it", with an accent of course.

LOL. I remembered she had some choice lines, but I'd forgotten what they were......

On 9/10/2019 at 10:30 AM, speedracer5 said:

The 90s are currently having a renaissance, which I'm here for.  I'm actually considering buying a pair of Docs at the Dr. Marten store in downtown Portland.  I always wanted them in middle school (in their 90s heyday) and never got them.  

Since I'm also all caught up in '90210' there's a lot of denim on denim action, which I appreciate. Will the Texas Tuxedo make a comeback?

I think I still have a pair of Guess overalls.

• Like 1

I meant to bring this up a while back, but I will always remember Angela Lansbury private screening with Robert Osborne where he asked her, of course, about the filming of ALL FALL DOWN (I’m slightly hesitant to bring it up, because for a while there that movie seems like it showed up every weekend on TCM it hasn’t been on the schedule in a while and I’m certainly not complaining)

annyhoo, Os asked her about WARREN BEATTY and- In her absolutely fabulous veteran of stage and screen and British-born manner- she basically very politely says “yeah, **** him” But then he asked her about BRANDON DeWILDE And she lit up and her tone of voice changed and she sounded almost reverent as she talked about how much everyone on the set absolutely adored him.

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I see what you mean. Who the Hell spells it “Aurthur”?

With the way people's names are spelled these days, there is probably some poor fool out there named "Arthur" whose name is spelled "Aurthur." 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I meant to bring this up a while back, but I will always remember Angela Lansbury private screening with Robert Osborne where he asked her, of course, about the filming of ALL FALL DOWN (I’m slightly hesitant to bring it up, because for a while there that movie seems like it showed up every weekend on TCM it hasn’t been on the schedule in a while and I’m certainly not complaining)

annyhoo, Os asked her about WARREN BEATTY and- In her absolutely fabulous veteran of stage and screen and British-born manner- she basically very politely says “yeah, **** him” But then he asked her about BRANDON DeWILDE And she lit up and her tone of voice changed and she sounded almost reverent as she talked about how much everyone on the set absolutely adored him.

I think a lot of ladies had the **** him attitude regarding Beatty--both literally and figuratively. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Both BLUE DENIM and ALL FALL DOWN are adapted from works by James Leo Herlihy, who also wrote the novel MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

I was surprised to find out that Carol Lynley  appeared in the original Broadway production of BLUE DENIM.

But, yeah, a lot of people involved with the movie adaptation of ALL FALL DOWN apparently had issues with Warren Beatty. Producer John Houseman tells the story that on the last of location shooting in Key West the production made a secret agreement with the local police to keep Warren Beatty overnight in a jail cell while the rest of the company returned to California. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I think I still have a pair of Guess overalls.

Lol. Back in the day, I used to own overalls, shortalls, and I believe even an overalls dress (shorter dress).  I just hope JNCO jeans stay far far away.  They were hideous then, they're hideous now.  I'm eagerly awaiting the return of Hypercolor shirts and jam pants. 

One of the best things about watching 90210 is all the denim--a lot of Texas Tuxedos, I believe also known as Canadian Tuxedos? The last episode I watched featured Dylan wearing not one, not two, but THREE pieces of denim.  He was sporting jeans, a denim shirt, and a denim jacket. CLASSIC.

I still have my red Chucks from 7th grade--they still fit too! Alas, none of my other middle school clothes would fit, if I still owned them.  

I am not happy about the return of tiny backpacks. I have a Kavu rope sling bag, which is kind of a tiny backpack, but you can actually fit things in it. 

• Like 1