Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best nose jo...I mean rhinoplasty in Hollywood

Calling Anjelica Huston sexy and beautiful is political correctness gone haywire. This coming from YOU is especially surprising.

Beauty IS subjective, so it's best to let someone thinking Ms. Huston as attractive go by.  After all, there ARE some in here who think BARBARA STANWYCK was 'cute and sexy".

Kind of reminds me of the scoff:  "She's got a SEXY FACE-----it's ALL [...]"

Sepiatone

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for language

By "jolie laide", I thought you meant that Angelina Jolie got laid...........

I really am laughing out loud !    (I don't do LOLs.)

Anjelica 's looks certainly do not fit the traditional idea of female beauty. But she's one of those women who is strong and confident and interesting, and she knows it. That can make a person attractive.

Another non-traditionally attractive actress is Meryl Streep. Same thing applies to her.

Beauty IS subjective, so it's best to let someone thinking Ms. Huston as attractive go by.  After all, there ARE some in here who think BARBARA STANWYCK was 'cute and sexy".

I thought Barbara Stanwyck was really pretty in her pre-code films and I even found her pretty in some of her later films-- usually the ones where she has longer hair.  When she got the same matronly hairstyle in the 1950s that many of her contemporaries also had, she started to look more mature.  Also, by the end of the 1950s, she was in her 50s, so I would expect her to look older, but I think she still had a pretty face.

I can see the "cute and sexy" label being applied to the Barbara Stanwyck of the late 1920s-early 1930s.  As her career went on, I think she moved from being "cute" to being "pretty."  I can imagine that the "sexy" label doesn't just apply to her looks, but her whole film persona.  I can see how her persona may be considered "sexy."  I even thought she was pretty when she was the matriarch on "Big Valley," even though she was in her 60s by then.  Even with her white hair, Barbara Stanwyck, I thought aged well-- which is amazing considering that she was a heavy smoker.  I don't know if Barbara got "work" done in her later years, but if she did, it was well done. She had a great figure her entire life too-- there was never a "What happened to Barbara Stanwyck? She gained 100 lbs!" period in her career, unlike someone like Shelley Winters. 

• Like 2

I thought Barbara Stanwyck was really pretty in her pre-code films and I even found her pretty in some of her later films-- usually the ones where she has longer hair.  When she got the same matronly hairstyle in the 1950s that many of her contemporaries also had, she started to look more mature.  Also, by the end of the 1950s, she was in her 50s, so I would expect her to look older, but I think she still had a pretty face.

That matronly hairstyle that they all had for a while was an absolute crime against women.  Jane Wyatt in "Father Knows Best," and all the older stars when they appeared as guests on shows like"Playhouse 90." It was so unflattering I've seen it make Gene Simmons and Ingrid Bergman look bad. It wasn't until I started watching old classics that I found out how beautiful these  women  really were. 

Barbara Stanwyck got the worst of our bad first impressions because, when we saw her on TV as kids, she was usually playing a "western" woman and the directors seemed to think a woman couldn't run a ranch without taking long strides in cowboy boots, and generally stomping around like John Wayne.  Joan Crawford does it in her westerns, too.  My mother kept telling my brothers and me that Stanwyck was a great, versatile actress but we didn't believe her.  Now, I've seen her be soft and heart breaking in "Stella Dallas," funny and adorable in "The Lady Eve," cunning and sexy in  " Double Indemnity," and I know she can be just as beautiful as she wants to be.  She reminds me of that line in "Tootsie," where Dustin Hoffman tells the casting director, "You want tall?  I can be tall!"

That matronly hairstyle that they all had for a while was an absolute crime against women.  Jane Wyatt in "Father Knows Best," and all the older stars when they appeared as guests on shows like"Playhouse 90." It was so unflattering I've seen it make Gene Simmons and Ingrid Bergman look bad. It wasn't until I started watching old classics that I found out how beautiful these  women  really were. 

Barbara Stanwyck got the worst of our bad first impressions because, when we saw her on TV as kids, she was usually playing a "western" woman and the directors seemed to think a woman couldn't run a ranch without taking long strides in cowboy boots, and generally stomping around like John Wayne.  Joan Crawford does it in her westerns, too.  My mother kept telling my brothers and me that Stanwyck was a great, versatile actress but we didn't believe her.  Now, I've seen her be soft and heart breaking in "Stella Dallas," funny and adorable in "The Lady Eve," cunning and sexy in  " Double Indemnity," and I know she can be just as beautiful as she wants to be.  She reminds me of that line in "Tootsie," where Dustin Hoffman tells the casting director, "You want tall?  I can be tall!"

I'm assuming you are referring to Jean Simmons the actress and not Gene Simmons the bassist from Kiss (his hair looks bad no matter what "style" lol) ;)  I agree about the hairstyles though.  I was watching a Gene Tierney movie yesterday, it might have been Whirlpool and she had that same awful hairstyle.  While her face was still gorgeous, it made her look like she was in her 40s, when she was probably barely 30.  I believe she might have had the same terrible hairstyle in Black Widow which I watched most of prior to Whirlpool.  There was an actress in that movie who had the ugliest hairstyle.  She was the actress playing the young ingenue who ends up the murder victim.  She had this tight curly hairstyle, reminded me of a smaller version of Harpo Marx's wig.  Ick!

I wasn't born when Big Valley was new.  I think the first film I saw Stanwyck in was Double Indemnity.  I loved her in that and have been trying to see all her films as they air on TCM.  I loved her versatility, in everything from Double Indemnity to Sorry Wrong Number to Stella Dallas to Ball of Fire.  I always thought she possessed a unique beauty--even in Double Indemnity where her beauty is more on the cheap tawdry side, but I could see why Fred MacMurray would be interested in her.  Recently, Stanwyck's precodes have been a revelation to me.  I loved Baby Face.  I've also watched a couple others, and even if the film is kind of hokey, Stanwyck's performance is always intriguing. 

I was watching a Gene Tierney movie yesterday, it might have been Whirlpool and she had that same awful hairstyle.

That's exactly who I was talking about!  I got the first name right and the last name wrong.  Sorry.  With my terrible memory for names, it's all a guessing game for the reader.

That's exactly who I was talking about!  I got the first name right and the last name wrong.  Sorry.  With my terrible memory for names, it's all a guessing game for the reader.

I agree about some of those hairdos.  Now normally I don't pay attention to such things but sometimes I find myself asking 'what year was this made,,, because this actress looks older,'   and I find out the movie wasn't made that many years after a movie I know well (e.g. Laura),   I now know to blame the hairdo!     (well sadly sometimes it is the alcohol).

This hairdo thing occurs in reverse;   e.g.  I saw Princess O'Rourke and was surprised how cute Jane Wyman was.  Before this I had seen her in only films from the 50s with that helmet hairdo and I wasn't impressed.     Where some hairstylist trying too hard in the 50s?  I only ask because I find the 40s style to be very appealing to my eye.   

• Like 1

Even the lovely Ida Lupino got stuck with the odd weird hairdo now and again. But I've heard - and  you probably already know this, Andrea- that Ida had a scar on her temple that she was self-conscious about  (an accident on a bicycle when she was a kid?) and so often requested that she wear her hair in a style that would cover it.

• Like 1

I'm assuming you are referring to Jean Simmons the actress and not Gene Simmons the bassist from Kiss (his hair looks bad no matter what "style" lol) ;)  I agree about the hairstyles though.  I was watching a Gene Tierney movie yesterday, it might have been Whirlpool and she had that same awful hairstyle.  While her face was still gorgeous, it made her look like she was in her 40s, when she was probably barely 30.  I believe she might have had the same terrible hairstyle in Black Widow which I watched most of prior to Whirlpool.  There was an actress in that movie who had the ugliest hairstyle.  She was the actress playing the young ingenue who ends up the murder victim.  She had this tight curly hairstyle, reminded me of a smaller version of Harpo Marx's wig.  Ick!

I wasn't born when Big Valley was new.  I think the first film I saw Stanwyck in was Double Indemnity.  I loved her in that and have been trying to see all her films as they air on TCM.  I loved her versatility, in everything from Double Indemnity to Sorry Wrong Number to Stella Dallas to Ball of Fire.  I always thought she possessed a unique beauty--even in Double Indemnity where her beauty is more on the cheap tawdry side, but I could see why Fred MacMurray would be interested in her.  Recently, Stanwyck's precodes have been a revelation to me.  I loved Baby Face.  I've also watched a couple others, and even if the film is kind of hokey, Stanwyck's performance is always intriguing. 

The WHIRPOOL hairstyle was probably intentional. This wasn't a fashion show--she was playing a disturbed character.

I can see the "cute and sexy" label being applied to the Barbara Stanwyck of the late 1920s-early 1930s.  As her career went on, I think she moved from being "cute" to being "pretty."  I can imagine that the "sexy" label doesn't just apply to her looks, but her whole film persona.  I can see how her persona may be considered "sexy."  I even thought she was pretty when she was the matriarch on "Big Valley," even though she was in her 60s by then.  Even with her white hair, Barbara Stanwyck, I thought aged well-- which is amazing considering that she was a heavy smoker.  I don't know if Barbara got "work" done in her later years, but if she did, it was well done. She had a great figure her entire life too-- there was never a "What happened to Barbara Stanwyck? She gained 100 lbs!" period in her career, unlike someone like Shelley Winters. 

Compared to Anjelica, Stanwyck WAS cute and sexy.

I dont think Stanwyck had work done. She used that rubber band method to pull her face back like Lucy did in her later years.....

• Like 2

I think Michael Jackson went to Mexico for his work, and Cher went to God. Cher was hotter in her 50's than many many 20 year olds.

Cher at 52 years old on youtube with a close up. Almost unbelievable.

CHER - Believe [Live at Top Of The Pops 1998]

I do not agree with the idea of people altering their faces just because they think they don't fit a certain arbitrary societal aesthetic as to what "beauty" is. If everyone who had what is considered an "imperfect" nose underwent rhinoplasty, then we'd have a boringly homogenous world full of flawless faces that all look the same.

Michael Jackson wished you were right, 1000 times.

The WHIRPOOL hairstyle was probably intentional. This wasn't a fashion show--she was playing a disturbed character.

So there is a specific hairstyle for disturbed characters that are well off (she was married to a doctor)????   

I didn't know that!     Oh, and she wore a similar hairstyle in Black Widow where her character was a rich actress.   But hey we know all rich actresses are disturbed characters.     

• Like 1

WAIT! Are we talkin' "Charles Lane", as in that grumpy and lemon-faced guy who tells old man Potter that George Bailey is hornin' in on his business to such a degree that he better be wary of him? THAT guy?

Gee, I gotta wonder why he even bothered with the nose job?

(...I mean, it's not like the guy looks-wise was exactly leading man material otherwise, ya know!)

Yes sir, THAT Charles Lane.  Here he is in THE BOWERY (1933) and a shot from late 30's-early 40's after his nose job.

charles_lane_nosejob.jpg

• Like 1

I am not in the least "politically correct". I've always felt this way about the pressure on people, especially women, to alter their faces in order to conform to a bland, standardized concept of beauty. And if you'd read my post carefully, you would have seen that my whole point was that women  (and men) can look attractive and yes, sexy, even if they look different from everybody else. That was why I mentioned that concept of the "jolie laide".

Here's a pic of the lady looking pretty darn good- of course, I think this shot might have been for a fashion shot.

anjelica.jpg

You once expressed surprise that I did not find Warren Beatty attractive. I still don't- I'd take Tommy Lee Jones over Mr. Beatty any day.

What can I say? It's as much about how a person projects themselves, their personality, their eyes, whether they have an intelligent-looking face  or not ( now please don't go "You think Warren Beatty looks dumb?" because I don't...) - things like that count as much if not more for me than traditional good looks.

But then, I've always thought Richard Widmark was sexy. 

You appear to have been more influenced than most by the "Eye of the Beholder" episode of TWILIGHT ZONE.

• Like 1

Katherine Helmond was scary in "Brazil".

Warren Beatty might not look dumb, but Milton Armitage did as Dobie Gillis's nemesis.

Beatty is not really classically handsome. He has rather unusual features. His look is more "ultra-cool" than handsome.

• 4 years later...