Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EL CID of Anthony Mann:

Palmerin

when will TCM show this movie?

When it was shown in two parts on a weekend by a station of Fort Lauderdale in 1980, the presenter did not understand the role of the Infanta Urraca, played by Genevieve Page, and he identified her as the Queen.

What, you never heard of EL CID, one of Charlton Heston's most famous roles?

It was on some time in the past several years, but does not get shown a lot.  I think one reason is the length of the movie.

I would rather see the Private War of Major Benson (later remade as Major Payne) which has not been on for many, many years.

I saw this movie when it came out.  Went to see it mostly because I missed out on going to the show to see BEN HUR when IT came out.

As I was only 10 years old when CID hit the screens, I fear I dozed through much of it, as I had NO idea who El Cid actually WAS!  I just wanted to feel like a big shot going to see such a supposedly "grown up" movie!  ;)

Saw it a few times since over the years, and it IS a good 'un!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

OK, I don't mind asking dumb questions (Google was only limited help, as Geraldine Page couldn't have played a Spanish infant).  I saw the movie when I was 15 on television, so I'm sure I missed some political intrigue.

I know a/an Infanta is relative to the Queen (reigning Queen?)  I have no idea what role she plays in Spanish nobility (Heck, I have trouble with British nobility, LOL)

So what is a/an Infantas' role in Spanish nobility?

OK, I don't mind asking dumb questions (Google was only limited help, as Geraldine Page couldn't have played a Spanish infant).  I saw the movie when I was 15 on television, so I'm sure I missed some political intrigue.

I know a/an Infanta is relative to the Queen (reigning Queen?)  I have no idea what role she plays in Spanish nobility (Heck, I have trouble with British nobility, LOL)

So what is a/an Infantas' role in Spanish nobility?

The heir to the throne is the Prince of Asturias, Gerona and Viana; all the other sons and daughters of the monarch are Infantes and Infantas=royal children. In EL CID Urraca and her brothers are all Infantes, as the Principality of Asturias did not yet exist.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings