Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DeMilleBuff32

Why isn't The Sign of the Cross (1932) On DVD Yet?

As a fan of classic spectacle and everything DeMille, why hasn't this PreCode gem been officially released on DVD yet? In the early nineties, Universal paid milions to have this film restored, so what's keeping them from putting it on disc?

I am a bit worried, that if Universal DOES in fact put it on disc, it will be a in a cheap set, on a compressed, and barebones disc. Hopefully it will get the special edition treatment, in a two disc set, including both versions of the film (the 1932 uncut verion, and the 1944 WWII re-issue), a good film historian's commentary, and maybe that "Cecil B. DeMille American Epic" Documentary produced for Turner Classic Movies last year.

What do you guy think? If Universal won't give it the deluxe treatment, then hopefully a company like Kino, or Criterion can lease this film, and give it a DVD release that will do it Justice!

For those who want a good Criterion release, suggest it here:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/ask_form.asp

Please support The Sign of The Cross , and do what you can, to have it finally released on DVD!

I agree that this classic should see a release. You never know. Universal has leased films to Criterion and Kino before so, like you, I'll be keeping my fingers metaphorically crossed. Incidentally, it was to comment on this film that I initially became involved with these boards. It was near the beginning of the summer, I think, but it sure seems longer than that now.

I think Universal should release a box set of DeMille films including SAMSON & DELILAH. Unfortunately Universal seems not to give damn about releasing many classics from the Paramount pre-48 library.