Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Stars Rate One Another

EugeniaH

A few minutes ago I was reading a blog and I saw John Wayne's opinions of the 5 best movie stars and 5 best movies of all time...

The two questions that come up repeatedly on this board is, "Who is your favorite actor?" and, "What is your favorite movie?"  It would be interesting to discuss the choices of the stars themselves, I thought.

Of course, I don't know how many of us are knowledgeable of who / what the stars themselves liked, so this thread may not go anywhere but, if nothing else, for interest's sake, here is what John Wayne said:

do3qqu.jpg

121dilv.jpg

• Like 1

The stars he picked I have no disagreement--except Lionel Barrymore.  I would have picked his brother John instead.

The films--I would love to know what year this list is from.  If list is from late 60's-early 70's, I think I get why he put A Man for All Seasons as best film of all time--Paul Scofield, its' star, received an Oscar & Lots of critical praise for the film--Gone With the Wind would have been an automatic choice back then.  The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse--depends on which version he meant. If he meant the silent 1921 version, I can sort of see that.  If he meant the 1962 sound version--no ******* way!!  That was one of the 60's biggest bombs, critically & financially--the film had poisonous word of mouth!  Then it looks like he put down his 2 best films to finish the list.  JMO :)

Gary Cooper's favourite star was Ronald Colman.

While they were contrasting in both personas and screen roles, Cooper did have an understated acting style not that dissimilar to Colman.

Based on that list of John Wayne's pick of the top 5 films of all time, I find it interesting that his pick for his two best films would be my pick, as well.

• Like 1

Stewart Granger's favourite star was Errol Flynn, calling him "the greatest star the film industry ever produced."

Granger can be seen, briefly, during the early '50s, as Flynn's heir apparent as the screen's top screen swashbuckler.

film lover: I checked the blog again (called "Stars and Letters" - I love reading it), and it says that "The People's Almanac" sent letters to Academy Award winning actors asking them to name their own favorites.  This was in 1977.

Tom, thanks for your posts.  I'm glad that others here know of the stars' favorites, because I find the topic interesting.

As for my own opinion, Spencer Tracy is my favorite actor (Wayne put him at #1), so John and I are simpatico.

• Like 2

Thanks, starlite!

This doesn't really qualify as "favorite", but there's a story that after a screening of "Sunset Boulevard", Barbara Stanwyck was so moved that she walked up to Gloria Swanson in tears and kissed the hem of her dress.  

film lover: I checked the blog again (called "Stars and Letters" - I love reading it), and it says that "The People's Almanac" sent letters to Academy Award winning actors asking them to name their own favorites.  This was in 1977.

Tom, thanks for your posts.  I'm glad that others here know of the stars' favorites, because I find the topic interesting.

As for my own opinion, Spencer Tracy is my favorite actor (Wayne put him at #1), so John and I are simpatico.

Thanks for sharing about the blog Eugenia.  It's fascinating.  I love the letter from Joseph Breen where he's appealing to the president of Fox to see what he can do about those in the VIP sections of the theater (presumably friends of the stars and studio employees, he says) hissing and cat-calling at the screen when the Production Code seal is shown.  He says that this negativity is creating the impression that the work of the Production Code is unworthy of support and not to be taken seriously.  Lol.

I do love how formal old letters are.  Breen's closing salutation on his letter says:  "With assurances of my esteem, I am cordially yours, Joseph Breen"

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings