Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eddie_Muller

Thanks and acknowledgements on the "Summer of Darkness"

Just stopping in for a quick pop and to bestow my thanks and appreciation on all those at TCM who conjured this "Summer of Darkness" caper and allowed me to take the wheel for nine Friday night spins. The reaction from viewers has been terrific, and I thank all of you who took to time to send a personal note. My sincere thanks to Charlie Tabesh (who's always been my stake horse at TCM), as well as Jennifer Dorian, Shannon Clute, Scott McGee, Sean Cameron, Millie De Chirico, Pola Changnon, Rachelle Savoia, Kendell White—as well as all my friends and associates at TCM (Robert, Ben, Darcy, Genevieve) who always make me feel like part of the team. These folks are the best caretakers that American cinema could ask for. And I know they are motivated by you diehard fans. Cheers!

—Eddie Muller 

• Like 15

Just stopping in for a quick pop and to bestow my thanks and appreciation on all those at TCM who conjured this "Summer of Darkness" caper and allowed me to take the wheel for nine Friday night spins. The reaction from viewers has been terrific, and I thank all of you who took to time to send a personal note. My sincere thanks to Charlie Tabesh (who's always been my stake horse at TCM), as well as Jennifer Dorian, Shannon Clute, Scott McGee, Sean Cameron, Millie De Chirico, Pola Changnon, Rachelle Savoia, Kendell White—as well as all my friends and associates at TCM (Robert, Ben, Darcy, Genevieve) who always make me feel like part of the team. These folks are the best caretakers that American cinema could ask for. And I know they are motivated by you diehard fans. Cheers!

—Eddie Muller 

Czar, thanks to you, the TCM staff and Dr. Edwards!  This was a great combination of several media, and I learned a lot about both film noir and its historical context.  School was never so much fun!  

—Eddie Muller 

Thank you for everything you did to make Summer of Darkness Fridays so special and for the interview you gave on You Tube as part of the TCM course.  I've learned so much about films noir this summer!!  Thank you, too, for all of  work you do to preserve these films for future generaions!!

I wish to thank you and everyone at TCM for both the "Summer of Darkness" and this course.  Everything was fantastic, I willingly put a lot of time into the class enjoying all aspects of it.  I will miss the Daily Doses.  Look forward to the continued forum, and hopefully your continuing to post on occasion.  Thank you all so much for a wonderful viewing and learning experience.

• Like 3

I will just copy/paste what I wrote on my "Closing Arguments"...

Even though I consider myself a film buff, film noir was an area that I hadn't fully explored. I enrolled on this course to challenge myself to learn more about it, and with the help of Dr. Edwards' concise and accessible lectures, and his effective selection of readings, I learned more not only about film noir, but about film in general. This also gave me the chance to see a couple of classics I had never seen. Even though I didn't have access to TCM or efficient online viewing to see as many films as I wished, I still managed to see four films, all of which ranged from pretty good to great (Detour, The Big Sleep, The Stranger, and Out of the Past). The latter, I could see becoming one of my all-time favorites.

Also, the careful look at film noir influences, visual motifs, etc. helped me to appreciate those traits more carefully not only in film noir, but in all films. Looking at things that might seem simple, but really carry more weight than what one might think, like a camera movement, or the use of light/shadows. 

Finally, on a more personal note, the course came perhaps at the perfect time for me. For the past 3 months or so, I've been dealing with a lot of personal and health issues at home, that kept me from interacting the way I would've wanted. But the course was therapeutic in how it helped me take my mind from things for just a while at least. Like Edwards' said in Lecture 5 about noir, it was a way for me to "process the trauma of the day's events... if only for an hour or two".

I thank Richard Edwards, Eddie Muller, the whole community, TCM, and Canvas for an excellent course.

• Like 4