Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Although I didn't get a chance to see as many films noir as I would've wanted during #NoirSummer, one thing that the course did do was to pique my interest about many, many films. I mean, I'm sure I will check out In a Lonely Place soon after Eddie Muller's enthusiastic thumbs-up!  :D

One of the sources for that curiosity were the Daily Doses. With most of those short clips, I found myself intrigued as to what would happen next, and I'm sure I will check out most of those sooner or later.

So to keep it contained to a certain amount of films, choose your five favorite films from the 32 Daily Doses that we learned about during the course. Maybe that can help me or others choose which ones to check first.

M

La Bete Humaine

The Letter

Dark Passage

Laura

Murder, My Sweet

Ministry of Fear

Mildred Pierce

Gilda

The Killers

Border Incident

The Big Sleep

Out of the Past

The Mask of Dimitrios

The Postman Always Rings Twice

The Third Man

Kiss Me Deadly

The Hitch-Hiker

Caged

D.O.A.

Strangers on a Train

Too Late for Tears

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers

99 River Street

Kansas City Confidential

The Narrow Margin

Beware, My Lovely

Elevators to the Gallows

The Asphalt Jungle

Desperate

Brute Force

Criss Cross

The ones in Bold are the ones I'm most curious about, and italics are the ones I've seen.

Although I didn't get a chance to see as many films noir as I would've wanted during #NoirSummer, one thing that the course did do was to pique my interest about many, many films. I mean, I'm sure I will check out In a Lonely Place soon after Eddie Muller's enthusiastic thumbs-up!  :D

One of the sources for that curiosity were the Daily Doses. With most of those short clips, I found myself intrigued as to what would happen next, and I'm sure I will check out most of those sooner or later.

So to keep it contained to a certain amount of films, choose your five favorite films from the 32 Daily Doses that we learned about during the course. Maybe that can help me or others choose which ones to check first.

M

La Bete Humaine

The Letter

Dark Passage

Laura

Murder, My Sweet

Ministry of Fear

Mildred Pierce

Gilda

The Killers

Border Incident

The Big Sleep

Out of the Past

The Mask of Dimitrios

The Third Man

Kiss Me Deadly

The Hitch-Hiker

Caged

D.O.A.

Strangers on a Train

Too Late for Tears

99 River Street

Kansas City Confidential

The Narrow Margin

Beware, My Lovely

Elevators to the Gallows

The Asphalt Jungle

Desperate

Brute Force

Criss Cross

The ones in Bold are the ones I'm most curious about, and italics are the ones I've seen.

The Big Sleep

Strange Love of Martha Ivers

Out of the Past

Laura

Criss Cross

But I recommend all of these films.  One just has to find the time even if it takes years.

The Daily Dose definitely piqued my interest and guided which movies I watched first. MANY of them I've alread seen and love so I'm rating my faves (BOLD) as the ones I HADN'T seen yet. And ones I love but had already watched in italics. I still have a full DVR and a lot of Noirs yet to watch!!! I haven't seen many from the last 2 weeks because of a busy schedule and no TV time.

M

La Bete Humaine

The Letter

Dark Passage

Laura

Murder, My Sweet

Ministry of Fear

Mildred Pierce

Gilda

The Killers

Border Incident

The Big Sleep

Out of the Past

The Mask of Dimitrios

The Third Man

Kiss Me Deadly - I was dying to watch this one and my DVR went out during a storm and didn't tape. It's on my list to watch asap.

The Hitch-Hiker - I was set to watch this and then decided it sounded too scary - I guess I was feeling lame that night!

Caged

D.O.A.

Strangers on a Train

Too Late for Tears

99 River Street

Kansas City Confidential

The Narrow Margin

Beware, My Lovely

Elevators to the Gallows

The Asphalt Jungle

Desperate

Brute Force

Criss Cross

Of the ones I've actually seen, I'd rank them thusly (a ranking that is to do with favorites, not how "noir" they are):

The Big Sleep

M

The Killers

Stranger on a Train

Out of the Past

Dark Passage

The Third Man

Kiss Me Deadly

Elevator to the Gallows

The Asphalt Jungle

Laura

DOA

Mildred Pierce

Of the movies in the doses I haven't seen, I'm most interested in:

Ministry of Fear

Beware My Lovely

The Hitch-Hiker

Too Late for Tears

Criss Cross

Desperate

The Letter

I've seen all but two of the movies (in italics). The ones in bold are the ones I liked best. Starred* are the ones I've seen prior to Summer of Darkness.

M

La Bete Humaine

The Letter

Dark Passage*

Laura*

Murder, My Sweet

Ministry of Fear

Mildred Pierce*

Gilda*

The Killers*

Border Incident

The Big Sleep*

Out of the Past*

The Mask of Dimitrios

The Postman Always Rings Twice*

The Third Man*

Kiss Me Deadly

The Hitch-Hiker*

Caged

D.O.A.*

Strangers on a Train*

Too Late for Tears*

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers*

99 River Street*

Kansas City Confidential*

The Narrow Margin

Beware, My Lovely

Elevators to the Gallows

The Asphalt Jungle*

Desperate

Brute Force

Criss Cross

My top 5 daily doses of the entire course are

Laura

The Letter

D.O.A.

Strangers on a Train

Too Late For Tears

M

La Bete Humaine

The Letter

Dark Passage

Laura

Murder, My Sweet

Ministry of Fear

Mildred Pierce

Gilda

The Killers

Border Incident

The Big Sleep

Out of the Past

The Mask of Dimitrios

The Third Man

Kiss Me Deadly

The Hitch-Hiker

Caged

D.O.A.

Strangers on a Train

Too Late for Tears

99 River Street

Kansas City Confidential

The Narrow Margin

Beware, My Lovely

Elevators to the Gallows

The Asphalt Jungle

Desperate

Brute Force

Criss Cross

I find this to be an impossibly tough question -- tougher than any question found on any quiz or final in our course! I love all of these films (that I have watched so far; I have not yet watched Caged or Brute Force) but for different reasons.

But, colt pistol to my head, I'd have to select: The Killers, Dark Passage, Gilda, Beware My Lovely, and Kansas City Confidential.

A note about Gilda: prior to this course, even though I had seen the film, I had not given much thought to the use of jazz music in films noir, so that stayed with me.

And a final comment, prior to this course, I avoided films with boxers and boxing. That just didn't interest me. But The Set Up changed all that for me. I know it's not a Daily Dose, but that film and Robert Ryan's performance impressed me so much that I wanted to say, if you haven't seen it, you should.  :) 

That's a tough ask, but the five below would be appropriately discussed in any conversation about the greatest films ever made. In my order of preference...

1. The Killers
  2. Out of the Past
  3. The Postman Always Rings Twice
  4. The Third Man
  5. Strangers On a Train

Favorite that I had not seen before: The Mask of Dimitrios.

Archived