Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Star by Any Other Name

CaveGirl

No, to paraphrase Shakespeare's line...in Hollywood they would NOT smell as sweet.

Despite her immense dancing skills, I have trouble believing Hollywood would have at first believed that Tula Finklea would have made it big onscreen, though as the sensuously sounding Cyd Charisse she went far in the annals of film musicals.

And though it is quite high-toned sounding, Spangler Arlington Brugh [or was it Arlington Spangler Brugh?] would have taken up too much space on a marquee opposite Greta Garbo in "Camille" which is why it was changed to the more temperate Robert Taylor probably.

Please entertain me with your favorites, as I'm a bit bored today, just like George Sanders was on the day he wrote his suicide note. Have no fear, I shall not off myself as it would make too many folks happy methinks.

- Cary Grant's real name was Archibald Leach.  That's definitely my favorite one.  

- Joan Crawford was Lucille LeSueur.  (The folks at MGM didn't like her last name because it sounded like "le sewer".)

- John Wayne was Marion Morrison.  It's not a bad-sounding name, but somehow I can't imagine John Wayne being called "Marion". 

My personal favorites are:

HAROLD SCHERER( Rock Hudson)

ARTHUR ANDREW KELM( Tab Hunter)

of course, the unforgettale;

WILLIAM HENRY PRATT( Boris Karloff)

And MY VERY favorite---

JETHRO BODINE( Beef Jerky!)  :D

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings