Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newbie with 2 questions

mrcracker

Hello fellow fans!

2 big things on my mind today:

1) Is there any way to see exactly which films are currently in the TCM library? I see a schedule, but that's not what I want...

2) Does anyone know how to get specific information on hard to find movies? For example, if I wanted to see "A House Divided" Directed by William Wyler starring Walter Huston, how would I do that? I've looked at the IMDB, but it doesn't give the information I want such as: Is it available, anywhere? Is it lost completely? Has it ever been released on video in the USA?

Thanks!!!

Stuart

Welcome, Mrcracker!

One can do an investigative study of films on the IMDB, but if I am wanting to purchase one I usually do a perfunctory check at Movies Unlimited and their website, as they have multitudes of titles and more seemingly than anyone and I've been buying from them for eons. I don't know their exact connection to TCM but they seemed to be the place that was supplying the films advertised for sale by TCM. Someone here who knows the exact connection between the two will probably elucidate it for my benefit.

I also get catalogs from Kino, Criterion and others but admittedly some rare films which are not as famous are not available from any of the above.

I have some books which detail the histories of all the films of each of the giant movie companies, and their availability or if they are lost but my books are probably all out of print, even though the information is still mostly valid. Doesn't IMDB still have the icons for films on dvd and tape and where they are sold anymore?

I just get online and google any and all info on a film I want, and I usually find it whether on Ebay or other places. One can usually tell it is a bootleg from the cover illustrations on the jewelcase. 

Just curious...what particular films are you looking for? Best of luck!

Thanks CaveGirl!

I'll definitely check out that site... Just as an example, 3 movies which I cannot verify whether there is any availability or not are:

A House Divided 1931 Walter Huston/William Wyler

State Fair 1933 Will Rogers

Unholy Partners 1941 Edward G. Robinson

I don't know about the first one, but I would be shocked if the last 2 are unavailable. So my question would be how would one go about watching these 2? Is there a way or maybe just not...

Thanks again,

Stuart

Hello fellow fans!

1) Is there any way to see exactly which films are currently in the TCM library? I see a schedule, but that's not what I want...

2) Does anyone know how to get specific information on hard to find movies? For example, if I wanted to see "A House Divided" Directed by William Wyler starring Walter Huston, how would I do that? I've looked at the IMDB, but it doesn't give the information I want such as: Is it available, anywhere? Is it lost completely? Has it ever been released on video in the USA?

Thanks!!!

Stuart

There isn't a way to know what films TCM currently has under lease (which is how I define 'library') that I know of (we have been looking for an inside to get this info for years now!).    It is assumed that TCM can quickly lease most of the films owned by their parent Time Warner,  which is why TCM tends to show a lot of Warner Brothers,  MGM,  the Paramount films that MGM purchased and RKO films.    Universal, Columbia and 20th Century Fox films are harder to come by (e.g. the classic Universal horror films,  Fox noirs from the 40s,   early Columbia films),  especially since these studios have deals with other stations  (sometimes an exclusive type deal).    

Hello fellow fans!

Thanks!!!

Stuart

Stuart, a newbie is only allowed ONE question. 

Kidding. kidding. kidding.

Stuart, a newbie is only allowed ONE question. 

Kidding. kidding. kidding.

To paraphrase Mantan Moreland in King of the Zombies, "Can Stuart help it if he's loquacious?"

Btw, Stuart, I think the 1933 State Fair has been shown on TCM.

State Fair (1933) was shown this past June, & seems to get yearly showings. Can't find a DVD.

Unholy Partners (1941) was shown in 2010 & 2014--no dvd available, at least through TCM.

A House Divided (1931) has never been shown (I'm going from the TCM review section) & no DVD through TCM exists.

Thank you so much film lover!! I had no idea there was a review section. That would aid my searching pleasure immensely :) so, I'm getting the distinct impression there isn't really one source where one can go to nail down these 2 questions... Interesting and surprising!

Thanks again film lover!! I've been a movie fan for 35 years and I never really satisfied my curiosity so excuse my ignorance, but... Let's just say with A House Divided (1931)... If someone was hellbent on seeing it is there some central register in LA or like the Smithsonian that has details on it?

I would try Amazon or Ebay--I just struck out with the UCLA film archive--for all I know A House Divided (1931) is a Lost film--this is not my area of expertise, though--For a basic question like is it available to view somewhere--I would email TCM.  Surely they know if it's a lost film or not.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings