Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

November Schedule -- Norma Shearer as SotM!

Capuchin

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2015-11-01

One of my favorites! A lot of her greatest roles.

Totally agree about Shearer.   This is one of the better schedules I've seen in many months, even with 95% of them repeats.  The highlights are the first two nights of the Shearer films, with all silents on the 3rd and then all pre-codes one the 10th.   Outstanding!  Don't miss especially the first night's first two films, Lady of the Night and Lady of Chance.  For anyone who mainly knows the bland goody two shoes actress from the Breen Code era, these two movies will be a revelation, and even though TCM has shown them several times before, I believe this is the first time we've had them back-to-back in prime time.

The other must-see is on the last night of the month, where we're (finally) getting Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy, plus his The Music Room and a documentary on his life and work.  The Apu Trilogy had been scheduled previously, but then cancelled for one reason or another.   All in all we're getting fewer clinkers than almost any month in recent memory, and many Grade A favorites that haven't been run into the ground.  I only wish I knew where to find some amnesia pills so that they'd all seem like premieres. B)

• Like 2

That's wonderful to look forward to!  About 10 years ago I started seeing Norma Shearer films; Smiling Through '32, Lady of Chance, The Last of Mrs. Cheney '29, , Riptide, etc.  In each film the talented and lovely Norma delivers a timeless performance.  My mom's personal favorite was Smiling Through with Norma and Leslie Howard, Fredric March, O..P. Heggie, etc.  This sensitive story was beautifully portrayed by Norma and her co-stars.

Norma was soon added to my Favorites list.  Today I try to watch as many as I can.  We Were Dancing was a wonderful early 40's title I believe.  I think it was one of her last films, but could be mistaken.

Nice schedule. I haven't seen many of the Norma Shearer films and look forward to them. Glad to see the Apu Trilogy scheduled; The Music Room is not one of my Ray favorites, but it's good that he's getting exposure on TCM. So much more of him in the wings!

I think John Huston's best films came very late in his career. Wise Blood which will be screened in November is one of his very best.

Other highlights for me is the absolutely mad Make Mine Mink (though in the listing, the main actors are not mentioned. An uncredited actor is actually mentioned but not the leads -- Athene Seyler, Hattie Jacques, Terry Thomas, and Elspeth Duxbury. (Billie Whitelaw is the one lead listed, and the always brilliant Kenneth Williams, who has a supporting role).

And thanks no doubt to popular demand, Bella Darvi fans can rejoice that The Egyptian, greatest of all epics, will be shown again.

And two meaty, always welcome films are on the bill on the same day: Green Dolphin Street and Ship of Fools. 

Some unusual silents on the bill as well -- I'm looking forward to them.

And I'm glad that two Jack Garfein films will be shown. I missed Something Wild the last time around. 

• Like 1

The November 2015 looks good. I found six films that I would consider film noirs. THE PROWLER 1951-11/7/15,  THE SECRET FURY 1950 -11/12/15, KISS OF DEATH 1947 - 11/16/15, EXPERIMENT IN TERROR 1962 - 11/21, LURED 1947 -11/23/15, and SHIELD FOR MURDER 1954 - 11/24/15.The only noir that I haven`t seen is LURED. THE SECRET FURY is directed by Mel Ferrer, and SHIELD FOR MURDER is co-directed by Edmond O`Brien. It is nice that KISS OF DEATH will be shown to honor Coleen Gray, but TCM may show some of movies before November.

Scanning prime time, mostly...

I've not seen a lot of these early Norma Shearer films, so the choice is good for me.

I'm happy, too, to see Wise Blood (1979). A very interesting film which I missed the first half of last time it was on.

On the 12th they've put together an intriguing prime time. Come Back, Africa (1959) is another one I regrettably missed last time.

I finally get to see Kiss of Death (1947), as well. Long overdue to view that one.

A lot of silent films are getting quality time slots this month- like a whole evening of Douglas Fairbanks films which includes the premiere(?) of The Black Pirate (1926), an early color film which looks fun.

At first I was a bit disappointed that it seemed most all the month's Imports are dedicated to the work of Fellini and Masina (even though I love their films,) since they get featured quite frequently on TCM, so far as foreign film makers go, but then I saw The White Sheik (1952) scheduled and that made up for it- I've been dying to see that!

Etc, etc, etc...

• Like 1

A dozen or so films airing in prime time during the month that I haven't seen and am interested in checking out:

THE GREAT SINNER (MGM, 1949) - A Dostoyevsky adaptation that I imagine is probably going to be pretentious and heavy-handed, but an early Ava Gardner role and a very strong supporting cast (Walter Huston, Frank Morgan, Melvyn Douglas, Ethel Barrymore, Agnes Moorehead)

ROMANOFF AND JULIET (Universal, 1961) - I'd never before heard of this comedy written, directed by and starring Peter Ustinov as the head of a postage-stamp country who tries to play matchmaker between the son of the Soviet ambassador and the daughter of the American ambassador for his own political advantage. Sounds like it be good fun. With Sandra Dee, whom we don't see enough of on TCM.

GRAND ILLUSION (Distributed in US by Continental Dist., 1937) - I know, I know. One of the most universally praised films of all time. I keep missing it somehow during its periodic TCM airings. Definitely going to try to catch it this time.

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (20th Century Fox, 1945) - As an adolescent, I read practically everything Agatha Christie ever wrote, and this one was one of my favorites. Looking forward to seeing this film adaptation with Walter Huston, Barry Fitzgerald, Louis Heyward and Judith Anderson. I already know who the murderer is (unless they changed it for the movie, which has been known to happen), but hopefully that won't deter my enjoyment of the film.

MARIE: A TRUE STORY (MGM, 1985) - Another film I've never heard of, but I don't think I've ever seen anything with Sissy Spacek I didn't like.

WISE BLOOD (New Line, 1979) - Directed by the great John Huston, who also acts in the film along with Ned Beatty, Harry Dean Stanton and future voice of Chucky Brad Dourif. Looks like one of those offbeat, cult (pun partially intended) 70s films. Another one I had never heard of.

THE STRANGE ONE (Columbia, 1957) - I  haven't figured out this film's connection with the night's other films, which all seem to be about prostitution. But I'm intrigued by the one-sentence plot description. Ben Gazarra as a military academy student who has unnatural influence over his fellow cadets. Looks like it could be one of those gripping dramas confined to a tight, specific setting.

KISS OF DEATH (20th Century Fox, 1947) - Was this one not part of the two-month Film Noir Fridays Fest? While I'm certainly aware of the scene with giggling, evil Richard Widmark and an old lady in a wheelchair - maybe I've seen it in a documentary? - looking at the cast and plot description, I certainly can't remember ever having seen the actual movie.

STRANGERS MAY KISS (1931) and SMILIN' THROUGH (1932) (both MGM) - Two pre-Code Norma Shearer movies I have never seen. If they're anything like THE DIVORCEE, A FREE SOUL or PRIVATE LIVES, I imagine I will enjoy them, i.e., fast-paced, snappy dialogue, full of scandalous, suggestive behavior. The first with her frequent co-star Robert Montgomery, the second with both Frederic March and Leslie Howard.

POINT BLANK (MGM,1967) - Another one of the most-praised movies of all time that has still eluded my viewing. Definitely try to catch it this time.

THE PRINCE OF TIDES (Columbia, 1991) - I'm not sure what the connecting theme is in this night of unusually modern films, but it's the only one of the three prime time films that night that I haven't seen before. Looking at some of the comments on imdb, I would have to say that reaction to this film has ben highly divisive, but nearly everyone seems to think Nick Nolte gives a great performance.

DESK SET (20th Century Fox, 1957) - The only Tracy-Hepburn film I've yet to see, probably because it was made at Fox. If TCM has ever shown it before, I'm unaware of it.

Also, I've never seen the second and third films in the Apu trilogy. I'm sadly pretty provincial and sometimes struggle to stay awake during films that show me life in a culture completely foreign to the world I know. But I saw PATHER PANCHALI in a film class I took in college and really enjoyed it, so I will try to give the other two a shot.

All in all, looks like a promising month!

• Like 1

Overall a much better month than October.  And nice choice with Norma Shearer too.   b.  Montreal, Quebec.

There are lots of my old favourites on this schedule plus some that I am looking forward to seeing for the very first first time.

Nov 1.  Toritlla Flat (1942).  Wonderful comedy with a tremendous supporting cast doing some of their career best work.  Frank Morgan, Akim Tamiroff, Allen Jenkins, Sheldon Leonard and John Quaylen.

Fists in the Pocket (1965).  Good film.

Nov 3.  The Hunters (1958) and The Angry Hills (1959).  Two Mitchum films I have wanted to see.

Nov 10.  Private Lives (1931).  Missed this one the last time it was on.

Nov 12.  The Connection (1962) and Come Back, Africa (1959).  

Nov. 16.  Hell's Heroes (1929).  Hoping for a good print of this.

Nov 19.  The Black Pirate (1926).  Good early Technicolor film.

Nov 21.  They still haven't run out of Batmans?

Cat Ballou (1965).  Great Jane Fonda western with lovely minstrel score.

Nov 23.  Boris Karloff day!  Just wish they weren't the same old same olds.  Has Boris every been star  of the month?

The Wrong Box (1966) Very funny Bryan Forbes film with support from my favourites, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore

Nov 24.  Merrill's Marauders (1962).  Haven't seen this one since I was a kid.

Nov 26.  National Velvet (1945).  But will it be on in Canada?

Nov 27.  North by Northwest (1959).  What a surprise!

Nov 29.  The Professionals (1966).  One of my favourite westerns.

Satyricon (1969) and The White Sheik (1952).  Two really good Fellinis.

Nov 30.  The Silver Chalice (1954).  Pre nose-job Paul Newman film.  The story goes he took out an ad in LA telling people not to watch this film when it premiered on television.  Naturally everyone then tuned in.

The Apu trilogy.  Pather Panchali is an essential.  Poetry on film.  An incredible Ravi Shankar score.  One of the best juvenile performances in film by Umas Das Guptas and an equally great twilight performance by Chunibala Devi.  Heartbreaking film.

I'm a fan of all of the other Ray films too but record Pather Panchali!

• Like 1

Scanning prime time, mostly...

I've not seen a lot of these early Norma Shearer films, so the choice is good for me.

I'm happy, too, to see Wise Blood (1979). A very interesting film which I missed the first half of last time it was on.

On the 12th they've put together an intriguing prime time. Come Back, Africa (1959) is another one I regrettably missed last time.

I finally get to see Kiss of Death (1947), as well. Long overdue to view that one.

A lot of silent films are getting quality time slots this month- like a whole evening of Douglas Fairbanks films which includes the premiere(?) of The Black Pirate (1926), an early color film which looks fun.

At first I was a bit disappointed that it seemed most all the month's Imports are dedicated to the work of Fellini and Masina (even though I love their films,) since they get featured quite frequently on TCM, so far as foreign film makers go, but then I saw The White Sheik (1952) scheduled and that made up for it- I've been dying to see that!

Etc, etc, etc...

You mentioned the Fairbanks Sr. film and besides The Black Pirate there are a few others of his being shown that day. I totally stoked because I haven't seen some of them for some reason.

The White Sheik is one of my two favorite Felliini films (with Amarcord). It's a sweet, funny story about newlyweds and the "Fumetti." It was Fellini's first solo film and the first time he worked with Nino Rota -- a great score.  I have the DVD but am glad that many other people will be able to enjoy it on TCM.

TCM is showing another one--I guess I wasn't the only one to stay up for "New Moon" (1930) LOL

"Sweet Kitty Bellairs" (1930) is airing November 5th at 6:00 a.m. E.S.T.--A Warner Bros. Pre-Code musical in two-strip/tone Technicolor--score is good, leads can sing--we'll find out if 3rd billed Walter Pidgeon can sing--film is barely over one hour (63 minutes), but the term "floperetta" was coined circa 1930--because studios had swamped the public with musicals, & all musicals were failing financially--regardless of quality.  Because of early Technicolor & score, this ranks as a must-see/record.  :)

Edit:  In my 1995 copy of "A Song in the Dark", Barrios says this exists only in black&white--this must be a restoration I haven't heard of.

sapphiere--"Lured" (1947) is So worth watching .Catch it if you can.

• Like 1

OH, NO. Another TCM regular. How many times has she been SOTM? (and constantly on air any other time) Not a fan. Oh, well, hopefully there'll be other stuff to watch...............

I may watch some of the silents. Those might be interesting.

OH, NO. Another TCM regular. How many times has she been SOTM? (and constantly on air any other time) Not a fan. Oh, well, hopefully there'll be other stuff to watch...............

Once,  way back in September of 1999.      At least there are some silent and pre-code films. 

I realized that Norma Shearer was previously chosen as a SOTM. Now that makes two in a row David Niven and Norma. In 2013-2014 I pouted for a long time when Tyrone Power wasn`t chosen for his 100th birthday in May  2014.Linda Darnell and George Sanders should be chosen over a previously picked star. Slowly I began my own Tyrone collection. I was foolish being off the boards for something that is out of my control. The General Discussion board is my favorite, and I am happy that I have come back. My Raymond Burr site has had many kind comments, and I am very appreciative. My fellow posters are knowledgeable, kind, sharing, and I learn something new everyday. My only question is will TCM the appreciation of Norma narrated by Janet Leigh. Norma saw Janet`s photo at her photo`s ski lodge that he managed. Janet gave such a nice tribute. I would not mind hearing the piece again. 

• Like 1

I realized that Norma Shearer was previously chosen as a SOTM. Now that makes two in a row David Niven and Norma. In 2013-2014 I pouted for a long time when Tyrone Power wasn`t chosen for his 100th birthday in May  2014.Linda Darnell and George Sanders should be chosen over a previously picked star. Slowly I began my own Tyrone collection. I was foolish being off the boards for something that is out of my control. The General Discussion board is my favorite, and I am happy that I have come back. My Raymond Burr site has had many kind comments, and I am very appreciative. My fellow posters are knowledgeable, kind, sharing, and I learn something new everyday. My only question is will TCM the appreciation of Norma narrated by Janet Leigh. Norma saw Janet`s photo at her photo`s ski lodge that he managed. Janet gave such a nice tribute. I would not mind hearing the piece again. 

Oh, I've no doubt they'll be using Leigh so as to save money.......

• Like 1

DESK SET (20th Century Fox, 1957) - The only Tracy-Hepburn film I've yet to see, probably because it was made at Fox. If TCM has ever shown it before, I'm unaware of it.

That's one I've been waiting for. It's not a premiere -- must have been shown ages ago.

. My only question is will TCM the appreciation of Norma narrated by Janet Leigh. Norma saw Janet`s photo at her photo`s ski lodge that he managed. Janet gave such a nice tribute. I would not mind hearing the piece again.

I wouldn't mind seeing a montage done to modern music like they did for Crawford when she was star of the month in January.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings