Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Missing Stars of The Month from Top 50 all-time

MovieMadness

I found the list of the AFI 50 greatest all-time stars, and went down that list and compared it to who has been SOTM at TCM. As best as I can tell these are the ones left on the list that have not been star of the month (individual recognition) other than James Dean (who doesn't have enough movies).

Marlon Brando

Marilyn Monroe

Mae West

Lillian Gish

Mary Pickford

If someone doesn't have enough movies, why not have co-stars of the month so you can fit two in just to give them that recognition?

PS Monroe out due to suicide like Sanders?

I found the list of the AFI 50 greatest all-time stars, and went down that list and compared it to who has been SOTM at TCM. As best as I can tell these are the ones left on the list that have not been star of the month (individual recognition) other than James Dean (who doesn't have enough movies).

Marlon Brando

Marilyn Monroe

Mae West

Lillian Gish

Mary Pickford

If someone doesn't have enough movies, why not have co-stars of the month so you can fit two in just to give them that recognition?

PS Monroe out due to suicide like Sanders?

Nice work.

Monroe was a 20th Century Fox star so that might explain it (or if not the suicide theory it must be the Kennedy clan).    Mae West doesn't have enough films.   Gish and Pickford were silent film stars and TCM just doesn't give those stars their due.    

Brando is the big surprise here.     

These are from SUTS thread:

Brando had a SUTS day in 2005, 2008, 2011 & 2014

Marilyn Monroe had a SUTS day in 2012

Nothing for Sanders or Boyer under SOTM or SUTS.

Yes I did see those, but they are only a day. Maybe they should do SOTM for the bigger stars and SUTS for the ones who can't be SOTM.

I never would have guessed Marilyn and Brando were never Stars on the month. I must be nuts, lol. Sanders gets a million winks for not being SOTM even though he plays a supporting PITA in most of those films. There has to be a reason, and I don't think suicide.. In interviews he even says his PITAness hurt his standing. And between him, Brando and Marilyn I bet 99.965% of the general public would know who Brando and Marilyn were before Sanders.

However, all three deserve to be SOTM, especially Brando and Marilyn. I would like Sanders to be as well, I only bring him up because it is obvious he deserves it as well regardless of the warts.

• Like 1

Nice work.

Monroe was a 20th Century Fox star so that might explain it (or if not the suicide theory it must be the Kennedy clan).    Mae West doesn't have enough films.   Gish and Pickford were silent film stars and TCM just doesn't give those stars their due.    

Brando is the big surprise here.     

Monroe also did not have that many films. I agree that Brando is a head-scratcher. I think HE may be the most legendary (and influential) actor ever.

Monroe also did not have that many films. I agree that Brando is a head-scratcher. I think HE may be the most legendary (and influential) actor ever.

Monroe was in over 24 films (more if one was to count the real early ones where she has a bit part),  so that is borderline for enough films for STOM.    Have both Brando and Monroe as duet SOTM as 'icons of the 50s'.  

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings