Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Psychopaths We Have Loved

Not a psychopath, but George Macready has an uncredited role in Wilson,  as William McCombs, Woodrow Wilson's campaign manager at the 1912 Democratic Convention. It's an early, uncharacteristic role for Macready, and he plays it very well. It's fun to see him prancing around the convention floor during the Wilson demonstration. That convention segment is the best political convention scene in any movie. But no psychopaths involved.

Macready is probably a sociopath in one of his best film roles as General Paul Mireau in Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory (1957).

His facial scar adds a very nice touch to the part too.

In fact, Strangers on a Train suffers dreadfully whenever he disappears for too long.

What, Bogie, you mean you're not just fascinated by Farley Granger in that film? ;)

Yeh, the Hitchcock touches, combined with Rober Walker's brilliant performance, are what make Strangers on a Train worthy of a few viewings. This film gave Walker a touch of film immortality, if only among Hitchcock fans, that I suspect he would not have with only his usual more earnest and wholesome screen image.

• Like 1

What, Bogie, you mean you're not just fascinated by Farley Granger in that film? ;)

Yeh, the Hitchcock touches, combined with Rober Walker's brilliant performance, are what make Strangers on a Train worthy of a few viewings. This film gave Walker a touch of film immortality, if only among Hitchcock fans, that I suspect he would not have with only his usual more earnest and wholesome screen image.

So those not normally into Hitchcock are pretty much unaware of Walker's performance? It's not as if this is some obscure film.

So those not normally into Hitchcock are pretty much unaware of Walker's performance? It's not as if this is some obscure film.

In a nit picky mood, are you, DGF?

Those who are not normally into Hitchcock probably haven't seen it - so yes, I'd say they're probably pretty much unaware of Walker's performance.

Having heard of a movie doesn't mean being familiar with it.

608619790202789af1d33d6b3e4eb3201_zpsy7i

Robert Montgomery cast against type as the Irish accented charming psychopath in Night Must Fall. He's carrying something around in that hat box that he hides, and it ain't a derby or homburg, folks.

James Cagney, a friend of Montgomery's, would play this same role in a wartime radio presentation.

Speaking of Robert Montgomery and "psychopaths" ; he plays a good one in RAGE IN HEAVEN,  part of the Ingrid Bergman day coming up (Friday into Saturday morning). I don't think that a lot of people know about this film, it is a good one.

• Like 1

Speaking of Robert Montgomery and "psychopaths" ; he plays a good one in RAGE IN HEAVEN,  part of the Ingrid Bergman day coming up (Friday into Saturday morning). I don't think that a lot of people know about this film, it is a good one.

According to Elizabeth Montgomery, at one point Robert Montgomery (her father) was considered for the role of Samantha's father on BEWITCHED.

This casting was decided against and the role was played by English actor Maurice Evans.

Walker's performance as Bruno wasn't much creepier than his performance as John in the much more obscure My Son John, although the true psychopaths surrounding that film might have been the screenwriter and the studio who pitched it as anything other than a black comedy.

john_13.jpg

Portrait of a man swearing to his own mother over a Bible that he's not a dirty Commie

• Like 2