Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Case of the Missing Apostrophes

lydecker

At the risk of being attacked by anyone under 40 and/or being labelled the dreaded "Grammar/Punctuation Police" I have to say that most of the SUTS bios (haven't read them all but have read all through Raymond Massey Day) fail to use apostrophes when dealing with possessives.  Massey's bio has a zillion mistakes in this regard and so does Menjou's. If whoever wrote/proofed the Massey and Menjou bios were writing this post the last sentence would have read (incorrectly): "Masseys bio has a zillion mistakes and so does Menjous." Oh, well. You'd think a big company spending a ton of money on its website might be able to properly proof punctuation on SUTS bios but, as we have all learned, "proofing" and/or correct use of punctuation and grammar is a lost art, much like the silent film. 

Lydecker

• Like 2

And here I THOUGHT this thread o' yours was gonna be about that Perry Mason episode where the lexicographer was beaten to death with a Funk & Wagnall dictionary!!!

(...yeah, I think it first aired in '59 during Season 3)

;)

As someone under 40, I am not going to attack you Lydecker.  I am in complete agreement that people's writing skills these days are abysmal.  A company like TCM should really strive to present well written and accurate information.  To me, a poorly written article, (like the much maligned "Are They Really Stars?" article that we ripped apart) undermines the credibility of the information or opinion presented.  Since newspapers have gone by the wayside, if you read a lot of the online versions of these publications, you will see many horribly written (and punctuated) articles.  It's quite sad really.  (Now for my "kids, get off my lawn!" moment...) Many technology dependent teenagers and 20-somethings these days feel that proper writing isn't important as "[their] phone has auto-correct" or whatever.  Too bad auto-correct doesn't fix punctuation. 

Even though I own an iPhone and a tablet, I do know how to write and spell without needing the assistance of either device.  I think it's a shame how dependent upon technology this new generation (we're no longer in the Millennial generation, it's generation Z now) is and how they don't seem to care about learning how to do things without it.  I will agree that many of these recent technologies have been really great (where would I be without DVR?), but they've also been a detriment to society as well.  There's something to be said for being able to do things manually (tell time on an analog clock, use pen and paper to solve math problems, write a note, count back change, read a real book, etc.).  

My biggest pet peeve related to apostrophes is when people "over-apostrophe" and add one to every word ending in a 'S.'  An apostrophe does not denote plural! Ugh. 

• Like 5

At the risk of being attacked by anyone under 40 and/or being labelled the dreaded "Grammar/Punctuation Police" I have to say that most of the SUTS bios (haven't read them all but have read all through Raymond Massey Day) fail to use apostrophes when dealing with possessives.  Massey's bio has a zillion mistakes in this regard and so does Menjou's. If whoever wrote/proofed the Massey and Menjou bios were writing this post the last sentence would have read (incorrectly): "Masseys bio has a zillion mistakes and so does Menjous." Oh, well. You'd think a big company spending a ton of money on its website might be able to properly proof punctuation on SUTS bios but, as we have all learned, "proofing" and/or correct use of punctuation and grammar is a lost art, much like the silent film. 

Lydecker

And don't even get me started on the grammar and punctuation of some of today's "news" websites...

As someone under 40, I am not going to attack you Lydecker.  I am in complete agreement that people's writing skills these days are abysmal.  A company like TCM should really strive to present well written and accurate information.  To me, a poorly written article, (like the much maligned "Are They Really Stars?" article that we ripped apart) undermines the credibility of the information or opinion presented.  Since newspapers have gone by the wayside, if you read a lot of the online versions of these publications, you will see many horribly written (and punctuated) articles. 

Quite a few online articles are "published" without enough proofing.

Many times I see duplicated and missing words or even entire phrases or sentences written twice.

I've also seen instances where I tell the writer was taking his or her sentence in one direction and then changed the approach but  failed to go back and remove all remnants the original attempt. 

And here I THOUGHT this thread o' yours was gonna be about that Perry Mason episode where the lexicographer was beaten to death with a Funk & Wagnall dictionary!!!

(...yeah, I think it first aired in '59 during Season 3)

;)

Well, I was going to write about that PM episode but got distracted.  I am sure Errol Stanley Gardner did pen The Case of Missing Apostrophe or was it The Case of the Missing Semi-Colon???

Well, I was going to write about that PM episode but got distracted.  I am sure Errol Stanley Gardner did pen The Case of Missing Apostrophe or was it The Case of the Missing Semi-Colon???

LOL

Close anyway, but actually I think in Season 4 there WAS an episode titled "The Case of The Missing Colon", but it of course had nothin' at all to do with either proper punctuation, spelling, syntax or grammar in general.

And as I recall the guilty party turned out to be...wait for it...Lt. Tragg's personal proctologist.

(...word is this was actor Ray Collins' least favorite episode, and for obvious reasons)

• Like 1

Years ago, I put "excellent poofreading skills" as a requirement for a position we had open. More than two dozen applicants, not one of them caught it.

It's incredibly difficult to proofread your own writing because your brain automatically adds any words you out.

Years ago, I put "excellent poofreading skills" as a requirement for a position we had open. More than two dozen applicants, not one of them caught it.

It's incredibly difficult to proofread your own writing because your brain automatically adds any words you out.

Did you point out the "poof" versus "proof" to the person you hired for the position? 

LOL

Close anyway, but actually I think in Season 4 there WAS an episode titled "The Case of The Missing Colon", but it of course had nothin' at all to do with either proper punctuation, spelling, syntax or grammar in general.

And as I recall the guilty party turned out to be...wait for it...Lt. Tragg's personal proctologist.

(...word is this was actor Ray Collins' least favorite episode, and for obvious reasons)

I was going to say "The Case of the Missing Period" but thought better of it.

• Like 1

Very true. That's why many people proofread their own writing by reading it backwards, or having someone else proofread for them.

Very true. That's why many people proofread their own writing by reading it backwards, or having someone else proofread for them.

Absolutely.  You can't proofread your own stuff  --  you can miss some giant error again and again.  Proofreading always requires a "new set of eyes."

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings