Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

marvel burns itself with new fantastic four reboot

NipkowDisc

obviously the film is for teens and juveniles but marvel finally has blowtorched it's own behind with this one. you fool around with a franchise's origins too much and eventually you will screw up and screwing up with the younger demographic, contemporary hollywood's core audience, is a terrific feat. screwing up with today's smartphone-wielding younger demo is a pretty good screw-up.

marvel productions lets some know-it-all kid re-imagine the fantastic four and it woan even work with the smartphonics. very outstanding. :lol: the fantastic four was already bent outta shape with the earlier films. why re-imagine the fantastic four for a demographic that was never really familiar with it's comic book origins in the first place? :huh: today's incompetent hollywwood foul-ups continue to proceed with the assumption that the younger demographic will never be interested or capable of appreciating 20th century american society as it was decades ago so they have to contemporize everything and now they have rebooted what they had previously contemporized.

today's smartphone kiddies were never really familiar with the fantastic four in the first place.

1961, the world's greatest comic magazine begins...

Reed Richards, brilliant middle-aged scientific genius with some graying hair builds a rocketship prototype manned by himself, his best friend and pilot Ben Grimm, his young wife Sue and her kid brother Johnny Storm. think joe cartwright with blonde hair. :D

cosmic ray exposure, fantastic powers gained and a resolve to use their new powers contructively and altruistically against the backdrop of 1960s NYC. their main guidance, the wisdom, judgment, foresight and scientific genius of Reed Richards. That WAS the fantastic four of yesteryear.

but stan lee got old and off into the hands of hollywood buttwipes it went. this is what you get when you write off generations of older film and TV viewers. you kill a little bit more of past americana. but to continue the pattern of dumbing down anything and everything, even todays comic book superheroes hafta be authority-disrespecting impetious-minded twentysomethings...even Reed Richards!

I'm sick of it. :angry:

So, pray tell what is the new spin on it?

As I won't be rushing to see it you might as well finish your story.

the spin is that it is bombing at the box office very badly. :D

for starters the human torch is now black.

nick fury ain't enough for the political correctists.

In your OP you spent some time telling us the Origin story and I thought you would then tell us how they had changed that for the worse.

One thing I cannot understand with all these superhero movies is that every second one seems to be a reboot and we go right back to square one with yet another origin story.  Now that is boring, boring, boring.  Do we need to see how Batman Begins every 8 years?  Why not just get on with it with your new cast?

Is his sister Black too, or does she spend the entire movie being invisible?

Don't you view the box office failure as good news as it relates to your overall POV about current movies?

e.g. that this bomb may be a tipping point that will lead to the bozos making films to make more adult \ better films?

Of course there were articles about the film Jack Carter when it bombed a few years back,  hoping this would lead to change. 

As we have discussed Hollywood has always milked the cow until the cow is bone dry and than goes on to find a fresh cow (rinse and repeat).      So maybe the superhero film is starting to run on empty.   If true,  that would be good news to me. 

In your OP you spent some time telling us the Origin story and I thought you would then tell us how they had changed that for the worse.

One thing I cannot understand with all these superhero movies is that every second one seems to be a reboot and we go right back to square one with yet another origin story.  Now that is boring, boring, boring.  Do we need to see how Batman Begins every 8 years?  Why not just get on with it with your new cast?

todays Hollywood stupes do not know or care about the past history or chronology of past American television shows and they certainly do not care about established comic book character histories or story development. it's all meaningless to them as all they wanna know is pc captain planet-esque or teenage ninja turtle-ish horse dung. because they are a group of foul-ups who do not care if intelligence or continuity is behind anything they churn out. they're idiots!...and they doan care. why should they raking in the moolah they are?

they couldn't get back to basics even if they wanted to because they simply would not know how to.

imagine putting Mr. Kotter's remedial level sweathogs in charge of the jet propulsion laboratory. :lol:

the Hollywood studios have fallen into the hands of people who oughta be doing trash pickups and scraping up dog doo from parking lots. nepotism? who knows? :huh:

todays Hollywood stupes do not know or care about the past history or chronology of past American television shows and they certainly do not care about established comic book character histories or story development. it's all meaningless to them as all they wanna know is pc captain planet-esque or teenage ninja turtle-ish horse dung. because they are a group of foul-ups who do not care if intelligence or continuity is behind anything they churn out. they're idiots!...and they doan care. why should they raking in the moolah they are?

they couldn't get back to basics even if they wanted to because they simply would not know how to.

imagine putting Mr. Kotter's remedial level sweathogs in charge of the jet propulsion laboratory. :lol:

the Hollywood studios have fallen into the hands of people who oughta be doing trash pickups and scraping up dog doo from parking lots. nepotism? who knows? :huh:

I'm speculating the lack of star power and poor reviews could be partially to blame for the box office failure. It also is up against another sequel of "Mission Impossible" which has a mega star (Tom Cruise) and it received better reviews.

While I'm not a huge fan of "Captain Planet," it's a children's cartoon from the early 90s, I don't know what that has to do with new superhero movies. While I prefer the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" cartoon from the 80s, in all fairness, TMNT was a comic book before it was ever a cartoon or movie.

NipkowDisc: It appears that you are pointing fingers at the wrong studio. Fantastic Four (2015), just like the previous two movies in that franchise plus those in the X-Men franchise, is the product of 20th Century Fox and not Marvel Studios. So far the latter has done well with the characters that they control.

obviously the film is for teens and juveniles but marvel finally has blowtorched it's own behind with this one. you fool around with a franchise's origins too much and eventually you will screw up and screwing up with the younger demographic, contemporary hollywood's core audience, is a terrific feat. screwing up with today's smartphone-wielding younger demo is a pretty good screw-up.

marvel productions lets some know-it-all kid re-imagine the fantastic four and it woan even work with the smartphonics. very outstanding.

Hate to ruin your fun but, Marvel had nothing to do with it. Its Marvel characters but, Fox produced this turkey, they are the ones taking the bath. I guess this loss balances out the profits from that last debate :lol:

Marvel studios would never bomb this badly. 

I just heard on the radio the other day how "Today is a golden age for dramas on television" .Too bad some would rather rip Hollywood rather than praise those who are making good stuff.

Hate to ruin your fun but, Marvel had nothing to do with it. Its Marvel characters but, Fox produced this turkey, they are the ones taking the bath. I guess this loss balances out the profits from that last debate :lol:

Marvel studios would never bomb this badly. 

I just heard on the radio the other day how "Today is a golden age for dramas on television" .Too bad some would rather rip Hollywood rather than praise those who are making good stuff.

yeah, a golden age for drama with teens and twentysomethings. older generational people were written off like 30 years ago. :D

• Like 1

yeah, a golden age for drama with teens and twentysomethings. older generational people were written off like 30 years ago. :D

Actually (Rikki and the Flash 2015) was for "older generational people" and it made $7 million, mostly older women. It will make a profit.

But, we'll pretend that didn't happen :P

I cried my eyes out that this happened, lol.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/11/kate_mara_s_fantastic_four_wig_a_tribute.html

this was a pretty funny article on slate about the really awful wig they slapped on the female lead who had to return for extensive reshoots after she had cut her hair. it's pretty funny.

ps- any of you who have seen the film: is it true that Jamie Bell and Michael B. Jordan have almost no lines in the movie?!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/11/kate_mara_s_fantastic_four_wig_a_tribute.html

this was a pretty funny article on slate about the really awful wig they slapped on the female lead who had to return for extensive reshoots after she had cut her hair. it's pretty funny.

ps- any of you who have seen the film: is it true that Jamie Bell and Michael B. Jordan have almost no lines in the movie?!

I think she looks hotter in that awful wig. :)

Speaking as someone who not only read the comics but also has been a comic book geek since childhood, I was not thrilled that another Fantastic Four film was made.  I liked the movie that was made in 2005.  This, in my opinion, was just like the reboot of the Batman and Spiderman movies.  Every few years they redo these superheroes backstories over and over.  At least "Guardians of the Galaxy" was original. 

Also, as bad as this new Fantastic Four movie is, it cannot be any worse than the 1979 version of "Captain America".

Speaking as someone who not only read the comics but also has been a comic book geek since childhood, I was not thrilled that another Fantastic Four film was made.  I liked the movie that was made in 2005.  This, in my opinion, was just like the reboot of the Batman and Spiderman movies.  Every few years they redo these superheroes backstories over and over.  At least "Guardians of the Galaxy" was original. 

Also, as bad as this new Fantastic Four movie is, it cannot be any worse than the 1979 version of "Captain America".

Give it time, they might reboot "Guardians of The Galaxy" with a gun wielding opossum. :angry:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings