Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What was the first western movie to show blood from being gunshot?

Kid Dabb

I do not know the answer to this, so it goes here in Information, Please!

What was the first WESTERN (cowboy) movie to show blood from being gunshot?

Many westerns had shoot-outs and gunfights with people catching bullets all over the place. They would clench up, freeze and drop, twist around, maybe even fly backwards, but for a long time we never saw any bullet holes or blood - just dry clothing and dead bodies.

I'm going to take a wild guess from a Variety review that's still accessible online--there were innumerable Silent westerns, but Variety said this one had "a corking gun battle"--"The Covered Wagon" (1923), directed by James Cruze.

BTW--You might want to post your question in the "Silents" forum, since I'm pretty sure your answer is a silent movie--JMO. :)

I'm going to take a wild guess from a Variety review that's still accessible online--there were innumerable Silent westerns, but Variety said this one had "a corking gun battle"--"The Covered Wagon" (1923), directed by James Cruze.

BTW--You might want to post your question in the "Silents" forum, since I'm pretty sure your answer is a silent movie--JMO. :)

Thank you.

:)

Even in older sound westerns it was a long time before I can remember seeing bloody gunshot wounds so I thought I'd start here in the general population and branch out later.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings