Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

So A Bat Flew Into My House The Other Evening . . .

Amazing Cappy, that you caught one & was bitten by it. Stuff of nightmares!

It was surprising, and a bloody nuisance, but not really frightening. He was just biting the fleshy bit between thumb and hand, probably because I was squeezing him too hard before I realized what was happening. It was kind of what might happen with a tiny kitten.

The real question is, what happens now?

If you die from a bat bite, you come back as a vampire. But what if it doesn't kill you? I know if you survive being bitten by a werewolf, you change into one at the next full moon. Is there a similar rule for bats? There have been many full moons and a few blue moons since then, with no effect. I've even been, technically, dead (heart and lungs stopped for valve replacement) but, to date, no fangs or lusting after the pale necks of beautiful virgins (well . . . no more than before I was bitten). What does it take for a bat bite to kick in, or am I waiting in vain?

If you die from a bat bite, you come back as a vampire. But what if it doesn't kill you? I know if you survive being bitten by a werewolf, you change into one at the next full moon. Is there a similar rule for bats? There have been many full moons and a few blue moons since then, with no effect. I've even been, technically, dead (heart and lungs stopped for valve replacement) but, to date, no fangs or lusting after the pale necks of beautiful virgins (well . . . no more than before I was bitten). What does it take for a bat bite to kick in, or am I waiting in vain?

Just consider yourself lucky.

Unless you've been holding out on us. Have you ever found yourself reaching out with your tongue to suck in a flying insect? Or have you ever had a compulsion to crawl through someone's window and stick to their wall? How about hanging out in a cave upside down? Has this become one of your recent hobbies that you don't particularly like to talk about because people might think you're, well, a little batty?

Fess up, Capuchin. You're among friends here.

Unless you've been holding out on us. Have you ever found yourself reaching out with your tongue to suck in a flying insect? Or have you ever had a compulsion to crawl through someone's window and stick to their wall? How about hanging out in a cave upside down? Has this become one of your recent hobbies that you don't particularly like to talk about because people might think you're, well, a little batty?

The key point here is I don't feel those compulsions any more now than I did before. 

As for hanging in a cave -- one of my favorite designs was an underground house using preformed culvert sections. Imagine a 30' diameter concrete pipe 36' long. Bury it so one end is exposed. Close off that end with a glass wall. About 8' from the bottom, put in a floor. That's your main living space (about 1,000 square feet). 11' above that, build a second floor extending 16' from the back wall. That's your master suite (about 400 sq. ft.). It's open to the floor below (stout railing, but no wall).

I loved to imagine what it'd be like having a hammock strung across the opening and watching the sunset through that huge wall of glass.

Double post. Maybe that should have been the

second one. Wish we could just delete posts

completely when that happens.

If there is ever a post you wish deleted, you can just submit a report, and we will be happy to take care of that for you. 

It was surprising, and a bloody nuisance, but not really frightening. He was just biting the fleshy bit between thumb and hand, probably because I was squeezing him too hard before I realized what was happening. It was kind of what might happen with a tiny kitten.

LOL. I think you'll be fine.....

Just consider yourself lucky.

LMREO. Yes, those would be telltale signs..............

Maybe I'll try that next time.

I thought that report button was to report people. Good to know.

If there is ever a post you wish deleted, you can just submit a report, and we will be happy to take care of that for you. 

If I ever want a bat that flies into my house deleted, any chance I can report him to you, as well?

Nope, I thought not. If only the real world could be as easily remedied, at times, as the on-line one.

• Like 1

Funny coincidence.....

Not long before seeing this thread here yesterday, I watched a Tiger's game in which Detroit shortstop Jose Iglesias swung at a pitch(and missed) and the bat slipped OUT OF HIS HANDS and flew into the seats!

So, I was at first unsure if the OP was referring to the nocturnal flying rodents, or a LOUISVILLE SLUGGER!  B)

Sepiatone

I guess you can report yourself if you make an error.

One just needs to be careful when using the 'report' feature that they want only a POST deleted and not the entire THREAD.

When trolls post spam (e.g. buy illegal passports here),   in 'valid' threads,  I have reported it but a few times a moderator deleted the entire thread.  So one should make it clear they only want that post deleted  (well unless one wants an entire spam thread deleted).

I knew it would happen....yes a BAT FLEW INTO MY HOUSE LAST NIGHT.

BAT.jpg

It was tough confining him to a single room, because of the open floor plan on the 1st floor. He obviously tired of flying in a circle so landed on my "indirect lighting" (for movie viewing!)

Beams & doorways thwart a bat, they generally stay near the ceiling and this guy was NOT going out the open doors....mosquitoes were coming in....I called Mr Tiki.

I had my leather riding gloves and ladder waiting for him-I thought the bat was dead-he hung there without moving. (I kept throwing dog toys at him trying to scare & guide him out) Mr Tiki got up on the ladder and gently grabbed him, walked out the door & released him!

My hero!

Yes, bat houses are expensive, but generally made in the USA out of cedar wood- I think worth every penny. (Tractor Supply Co $30) I bet you could find plans online....they are a simple box.

Nothing is sealed in my house, I'm sure the little guy squeezed in through a tiny space in the attic, which is screened open for ventilation. But he looked big to me-classic bat face with big ears!

• Like 1

You're fortunate, TikiSoo, that the bat was out in the open like that for you to see (though he may have been hidden for a while).

Finding a bat that is hidden is the hard part (in fact, it can be murder!).

I assume that your husband was wearing thick gloves of some kind when he handled him. I have found on the three occasions in which a bat got into my house that a thick towel was very effective in handling them. None of them bit me and all three flew away unharmed once outside.

I read that the bones in a bat's wings are quite fragile. That's why i didn't try to knock him to the ground with the towel when he flew by me.

BAT.jpg

It was tough confining him to a single room, because of the open floor plan on the 1st floor. He obviously tired of flying in a circle so landed on my "indirect lighting" (for movie viewing!)

Beams & doorways thwart a bat, they generally stay near the ceiling and this guy was NOT going out the open doors....mosquitoes were coming in....I called Mr Tiki.

I had my leather riding gloves and ladder waiting for him-I thought the bat was dead-he hung there without moving. (I kept throwing dog toys at him trying to scare & guide him out) Mr Tiki got up on the ladder and gently grabbed him, walked out the door & released him!

My hero!

Yes, bat houses are expensive, but generally made in the USA out of cedar wood- I think worth every penny. (Tractor Supply Co $30) I bet you could find plans online....they are a simple box.

Nothing is sealed in my house, I'm sure the little guy squeezed in through a tiny space in the attic, which is screened open for ventilation. But he looked big to me-classic bat face with big ears!

WOW. Glad there was a happy ending for all!

I read that the bones in a bat's wings are quite fragile.

Worst thing I ever saw was a poor bat stuck to a roll of flypaper. I tried my best to release him without hurting him. Ended up cutting the roll. He managed to fly away but I always worried about that poor thing.

I NEVER use sticky traps because of that horror.

BAT.jpg

My hero!

What an adventure!  Hats off to brave Mr. Tiki!  I'm happy it ended well for everyone.

You're dead and you just don't know it. I think this may have happened to a few other posters here as well. Maybe you can be interred with some other Capuchin monks who've kicked the bucket.