Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An Overlooked Great Actor; Robert Ryan! // A Superb Overlooked Great Actress Ida Lupino!

I am glad to see that others also like I Walk Alone.  I really think it is underrated too!  I was really impressed by the story and the lovely musical score. Interestingly enough, several of the actors were fairly new to the acting arena - Douglas, Lancaster, Corey, etc.  Wendell Corey fits well into the story as Kirk's brother who feels anger with Kirk's actions.  Christine Miller turns in a good performance as Kirk's wealthy girlfriend.  I do really think that the nightclub band should have been given credit, as their music was very stirring and greatly enhanced the setting.  Later the song Heart and Soul became a popular Rock and Roll song by Jan and Dean.  (But the film has the very best rendition of the song, though it is instrumental).

Liz. Scott, who died recently, was really a very good actress.  I was quite impressed by The Company She Keeps where she plays a probation officer who helps Jane Greer (a former shoplifter) - her character into getting paroled from jail and getting a new job.  Unexpectedly, her relationship with her own fiancee becomes in jeopardy when he meets Greer!  She played this with finesse and authentically true emotions. I too think Liz Scott's stories where she plays an evil person are even better; Two of a Kind, Too Late for Tears,  Bad for Each Other, The Stolen Face, etc.  Though she is good in every performance that I have seen; You Came Along. I Walk Alone, Martha Ivers, etc. I agree that The other acting style is even better for her!  She will long be remembered as a great actress of film noir of the 40's and 50's.

I promised to look up the title of the good film with Dane Clark and Alexis Smith.  IT is Whiplash.  Besides having an interesting storyline, it possesses a very good musical score in a nightclub where Alexis Smith's character is employed.

Just a quick assessment of No Man of Her Own '50.  I  first saw this film when I was in my early 20's and really enjoyed it.  Barbara Stanwyck was outstanding in this film as a woman betrayed and Lyle Bettger was great as the bad guy.  The wonderful cast in addition; John Lund, Phyllis Thaxter, Henry O'Neill, Jane Cowl, Esther Dale, Richard Denning - to name

Somehow my sentence cut off; as you can guess, I was about to say, "To name a few".  What a unique story - a whole family - The mother-in-law (who is severely ill with a heart condition) confessing to the murder of an evil man harrassing Barbara's character.  WHo Killed Stephen Morley?  The denouement is very intrguing.  We do not have all of our questions answered, but the motive for murder becomes very clear, I found the book eventually which is called "I Married a Dead Man" by the talented Cornell Woolrich. 

• Like 2

Often overlooked when films and actors/actresses are evaluated is the great Robert Ryan.

He is superbly menacing (in Caught, Beware, My Lovely)  or seemingly implacable  in Deep Valley, On Dangerous Ground,  etc.  In the latter two films we see a sensitive side of Mr. Ryan that is seldom revealed!

In each film he uniquely portrays his part, making the film very special.  In Deep Valley he is a police officer searhing for a killer (Dane Clark) who is Ida's boyfriend.  She is hiding him.  On Dangerous Ground has Ida as a blind girl who tries to help her brother who may be accused of murder.  We see Mr. Ryan going from indifferent police officer doing his job routinely, to an attitude tinged with sympathy and ultimately with a deep love for lovely Ida who is blind and cares deeply about her brother.

I have admired Ida Lupino for many years too!  I saw all of these wonderful 40's and 50's films on TV as a child and was profoundly impacted by her talents as well.  In the film Roadhouse we see her hired as a singer in an out of the way Road House restaurant.  The owner and boss is Richard Widmark who goes insane when she suddenly marries his assistant, potrayed by the mild-mannered and handsome  Cornell Wilde. It seems Mr. W.'s character had fallen in love with Lily (Ida) too and was ready to pop the question as well!  Celeste Holm shines here as the secretary  who desperately tries to save Lily (Ida's character) and her husband.  But it soon is clear that in the out of the way hunting spot he is out of control with his gun collection; intending to shoot them both dead.  (Of course he cleverly pulled out all of the phone cords from the walls.  Too bad cell phones were not in existence yet in the late 40's!  If she had had a cell and could call 911, the denouement of the film might have been less catastrophic).

In Women in Prison she portrayed a vicious prison warden who fatally kicks Audrey Totter's character because she had been married to her old boyfriend and was pregnant!  Ultimately she loses her sanity and imagines the girl is still alive.  Not surprising that Ida became the first woman director of films in America!  There are other great performances of Ida; too numerous to mention here.  In recent years I have seen her earlier films for the first time.  In several comedies (late 30's - 40's) she was a blonde and in others a selfish brunette.  The Hard Way illustrates this factor; in this film Ida tears her sister's (Joan Leslie) marriage apart and causes ultimate disaster.

Why do you think they're overlooked? By whom are they overlooked?

Not by those with a brain who love classically classic movies.

We know they're both wonderful. And catch them every chance we get.

I am glad to see that others also like I Walk Alone.  I really think it is underrated too!  I was really impressed by the story and the lovely musical score. Interestingly enough, several of the actors were fairly new to the acting arena - Douglas, Lancaster, Corey, etc.  Wendell Corey fits well into the story as Kirk's brother who feels anger with Kirk's actions.  Christine Miller turns in a good performance as Kirk's wealthy girlfriend.  I do really think that the nightclub band should have been given credit, as their music was very stirring and greatly enhanced the setting.  Later the song Heart and Soul became a popular Rock and Roll song by Jan and Dean.  (But the film has the very best rendition of the song, though it is instrumental).

Liz. Scott, who died recently, was really a very good actress.  I was quite impressed by The Company She Keeps where she plays a probation officer who helps Jane Greer (a former shoplifter) - her character into getting paroled from jail and getting a new job.  Unexpectedly, her relationship with her own fiancee becomes in jeopardy when he meets Greer!  She played this with finesse and authentically true emotions. I too think Liz Scott's stories where she plays an evil person are even better; Two of a Kind, Too Late for Tears,  Bad for Each Other, The Stolen Face, etc.  Though she is good in every performance that I have seen; You Came Along. I Walk Alone, Martha Ivers, etc. I agree that The other acting style is even better for her!  She will long be remembered as a great actress of film noir of the 40's and 50's.

I promised to look up the title of the good film with Dane Clark and Alexis Smith.  IT is Whiplash.  Besides having an interesting storyline, it possesses a very good musical score in a nightclub where Alexis Smith's character is employed.

Just a quick assessment of No Man of Her Own '50.  I  first saw this film when I was in my early 20's and really enjoyed it.  Barbara Stanwyck was outstanding in this film as a woman betrayed and Lyle Bettger was great as the bad guy.  The wonderful cast in addition; John Lund, Phyllis Thaxter, Henry O'Neill, Jane Cowl, Esther Dale, Richard Denning - to name

Lizabeth Scott was an outstanding actor, better than most in her era.

It's an outrageous shame that TCM didn't interview her when she was alive.

Lizabeth Scott was an outstanding actor, better than most in her era.

It's an outrageous shame that TCM didn't interview her when she was alive.

There's a long 1996 interview with Lizabeth Scott on YouTube, broken up into 8 parts.  Here's the first part, with links to the rest on the side, along with links to several of her best movies:

Robert Ryan and Ida Lupino are both great, and greatly appreciated here on the TCM website. They get plenty of TCM love, all year every year, with many of each actor's films shown often on the channel. That they have not been featured as SOTM, if true, is rather surprising, considering their popularity from fans, and the availability of enough of their movies on TCM to be feasible.

I was going to add that I too hope FOX relents and we can see these fine movies on TCM. Come to think of it, Richard Conte reminds me of John Garfield too! OF course there are variations too, but I see what you mean. I am a fan of both, but prefer RIchard. Cry of the CIty was another good film noir with Richard, The only one I have not seen yet is 13 Rue Madeleine! One to look forward to! Best Regards

Another great noirish 20th Century Fox film with Richard Conte, HOUSE OF STRANGERS (1949), will be on FMC the next couple of ::mornings: Friday @ 10 am est, and Saturday @ 8 am est.

Imho Conte's best starring role, it has him pitted against his three brothers by their father, Edward G. Robinson, self made immigrant banker, takes the fall for him, and is jailed. Very good drama, with an outstanding cast, and Richard Conte and Susan Hayward's scenes together sizzle with their palpable sexual chemistry.

• Like 1

There's a long 1996 interview with Lizabeth Scott on YouTube, broken up into 8 parts.  Here's the first part, with links to the rest on the side, along with links to several of her best movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLLnXobNUc

Why thank you, Andy. Never knew about that one.

An even bigger SHAME ON YOU to TCM, they could have done the same with Ben M. Heck, even I would have even put up with RO, if that was her choice.

Another great noirish 20th Century Fox film with Richard Conte, HOUSE OF STRANGERS (1949), will be on FMC the next couple of ::mornings: Friday @ 10 am est, and Saturday @ 8 am est.

Imho Conte's best starring role, it has him pitted against his three brothers by their father, Edward G. Robinson, self made immigrant banker, takes the fall for him, and is jailed. Very good drama, with an outstanding cast, and Richard Conte and Susan Hayward's scenes together sizzle with their palpable sexual chemistry.

I just read this reminder 15 minutes before the show began, and give yourself a gold star for mentioning it.  I saw it long ago and totally agree with your take on the film's merits.

• Like 1