Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lucille Ball's Film Work

I know that this is Lucille Ball's thread but in an earlier post "Speedracer5" stated that Producer William Asher was Elizabeth Montgomery's second husband. Actually he was her third husband.

Her first husband was Fred Cammann and the marriage was very brief. Then she married actor Gig Young. After divorcing Young she married William Asher.

• Like 1

I know that this is Lucille Ball's thread but in an earlier post "Speedracer5" stated that Producer William Asher was Elizabeth Montgomery's second husband. Actually he was her third husband.

Her first husband was Fred Cammann and the marriage was very brief. Then she married actor Gig Young. After divorcing Young she married William Asher.

Thanks! I didn't realize she was married before Gig Young!

I wonder why Elizabeth couldn't find the right man to be married to?

After her divorce from William Asher, Elizabeth Montgomery lived with an actor named Robert Foxworth for over 20 years.

They legally married in 1993, two years before her death.

Here are interviews with Elizabeth Montgomery and Robert Foxworth from 1992.

• Like 1

As for your question;  well I was much too young for her!    :blink:     No TCM the last 3 weeks so I'm looking forward to that when I return this weekend.

• Like 1

NEXT TIME I MARRY starring Lucille Ball is scheduled to air on TCM on September 16.

It's an RKO movie from 1938.

I've seen this movie before.  It's an okay movie, but there is a funny scene in the film that is a precursor to The Long Long Trailer.  In Next Time I Marry, Lucy has a very funny scene in the back of a camper.  It's easily the funniest scene in the film.

Afte her divorce from William Asher, Elizabeth Montgomery lived with an actor named Robert Foxworth for over 20 years.

They legally married in 1993, two years before her death.

Here are interviews with Elizabeth Montgomery and Robert Foxworth from 1992.

This is the Robert Foxworth that was the second Brady dad, and a regular on Knot's Landing (I think), right?

Last week I watched two "new" Lucille Ball flix.  The Magic Carpet, set in the Middle East, was (to me) so bad that I turned it off about a half hour into the movie.  I saw only one scene with Ball so I couldn't exactly say whether or not she was particularly good.  By that point my eyes had glazed over so that I had trouble finding the remote control...  The second movie, Her Husband's Affairs, was little better.  The plot was thin (an oddball scientist invents a hair remover, which does away with razors), and star Franchot Tone, as an advertising man married to Ball, was about as funny as a lead balloon.  Ball probably would have shone brighter with a more fitting co-star.

• Like 1

I was just musing the other day---

Her "I LOVE LUCY" sitcom debuted the same year I did!

And, I can't recall any time when that show WASN'T on TV SOMEwhere in the last 64 years!

Even MY KIDS grew up watching it!  My daughters are just as familiar with many of the "classic" episodes as ANY long time fans!

And, when you consider that the show WAS actually filmed, not taped( don't think it existed then) NOR "kinescoped",  Lucille Ball's "filmwork" is a much longer period than the OP probably intended to represent!

Sepiatone

Not Knots Landing. He was a regular on Falcon Crest. (the Jane Wyman nighttime soap)

Oops, my bad. Guess I got my 1980s nighttime soaps mixed up. Don Murray was the guy in Knot's Landing. I probably thought that one first because Donna Mills made a.strong impression on me, although now that I think about it, Ana Alicia on FC did also.

Last week I watched two "new" Lucille Ball flix.  The Magic Carpet, set in the Middle East, was (to me) so bad that I turned it off about a half hour into the movie.  I saw only one scene with Ball so I couldn't exactly say whether or not she was particularly good.  By that point my eyes had glazed over so that I had trouble finding the remote control...  The second movie, Her Husband's Affairs, was little better.  The plot was thin (an oddball scientist invents a hair remover, which does away with razors), and star Franchot Tone, as an advertising man married to Ball, was about as funny as a lead balloon.  Ball probably would have shone brighter with a more fitting co-star.

I don't know if you saw my comments re: The Magic Carpet, I posted them a few weeks ago.  If it makes you feel any better about Ball's involvement in this film, just know that she only did it for the money and to finish out her contract with Harry Cohn at Columbia.  She followed the advice of the wise Desi Arnaz who told her she should do the film, because nobody will watch it anyway.  It took 1 week to shoot, she made a quick $85k and got out of her contract. 

I just bought a Lucille Ball 4 film collection from Bi-Mart, which might be the same collection that you're watching.  It came with Her Husband's Affairs, Miss Grant Takes Richmond, The Fuller Brush Girl and The Magic Carpet.  It was only $5, I couldn't resist.  Now I have two copies of Miss Grant Takes Richmond, lol.

• Like 1

I don't know if you saw my comments re: The Magic Carpet, I posted them a few weeks ago.  If it makes you feel any better about Ball's involvement in this film, just know that she only did it for the money and to finish out her contract with Harry Cohn at Columbia.  She followed the advice of the wise Desi Arnaz who told her she should do the film, because nobody will watch it anyway.  It took 1 week to shoot, she made a quick $85k and got out of her contract. 

I just bought a Lucille Ball 4 film collection from Bi-Mart, which might be the same collection that you're watching.  It came with Her Husband's Affairs, Miss Grant Takes Richmond, The Fuller Brush Girl and The Magic Carpet.  It was only $5, I couldn't resist.  Now I have two copies of Miss Grant Takes Richmond, lol.

Sorry that I'm even questioning you about this, but you're telling me she made $85,000 for a quickie made at the end of her contract at Columbia? That doesn't seem possible.

Sorry that I'm even questioning you about this, but you're telling me she made $85,000 for a quickie made at the end of her contract at Columbia? That doesn't seem possible.

Yes. That's the figure I've read in multiple sources. I believe it was the amount of money she was owed per her contract. Cohn figured she'd turn down "The Magic Carpet," then he could fire her and save the remaining sum. Lucy & Desi outsmarted him though by having Lucy accept the role.

• Like 1

Ha, we have the same DVD!  I bought it to replace my own faulty "Miss Grant" disc, and decided to add a few more movies to the mix.  The price was good, even if the other movies were so-so.  (And yes, I did remember your comments on "Magic Carpet".  Glad she got something out of that dud!)  :)

Ha, we have the same DVD!  I bought it to replace my own faulty "Miss Grant" disc, and decided to add a few more movies to the mix.  The price was good, even if the other movies were so-so.  (And yes, I did remember your comments on "Magic Carpet".  Glad she got something out of that dud!)  :)

Lol.  It was a really good deal and I've found that Mill Creek Direct (who put out this boxed set, plus boxed sets of other Columbia/Sony shows like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie) is putting out a really good, inexpensive product.  I already had a copy of Miss Grant Takes Richmond that I bought from Warner Archives and I bought this set the other day because I wanted to see The Fuller Brush Girl again.  I haven't seen Her Husband's Affairs or The Magic Carpet, but I'm sure Lucy will be the highlight.

I think Miss Grant Takes Richmond is one of the funnier films in Lucy's pre-I Love Lucy film career.  It's also interesting because William Holden is billed second to Ball, and perhaps at the time, that would be accurate.  I'm not sure if this had been made after Holden won his Oscar, if he'd be first billed.  Both Ball and Holden's character names are in the title.  It's hard to gauge who was a bigger star at the time in 1949.  Holden is only a year away from his star-making turn in Sunset Boulevard and Ball is only two years away from starting work on the immortal I Love Lucy.  It's funny to think in five short years after 'Miss Grant' that Holden would be guest starring as himself on Ball's sitcom.  I really liked Ball and Holden together, they have a great rapport.  I wish they had made more films together.  At least we have Miss Grant Takes Richmond and the "LA at Last!" episode of I Love Lucy

Miss Grant Takes Richmond is also hilarious for how much innuendo is in the film.

MAN (to Peggy Donato): It's Dick [Richmond].  Are you in?

PEGGY: I'm always in for Dick.

LOL!

My favorite part of 'Miss Grant' is when Lucy and the other women move around the strings (not realizing that these are the guides for the men pouring cement for the foundation) mapping out the layouts for the different homes in the subdivision.  Woman A says that her bathroom is too small, so she and Lucy move the strings to make the rooms bigger.  Woman B wants a larger kitchen, they move the strings.  Woman C wants a larger bedroom.  They move the strings.  So on and so forth and pretty much all the layouts for the homes are overlapping when Lucy and the women are finished.

• Like 2

Oops, my bad. Guess I got my 1980s nighttime soaps mixed up. Don Murray was the guy in Knot's Landing. I probably thought that one first because Donna Mills made a.strong impression on me, although now that I think about it, Ana Alicia on FC did also.

They used to show KNOTS LANDING reruns on SoapNet in the early 2000s.

Poor Valene  . . .

I bought a recent book last year, about the many outstanding movies of that exceptional year,1939. Among the many acknowledged classics, they also selected FIVE CAME BACK, a popular film often shown on TCM. This B film, is relatively unheralded, although its stature has grown in recent years. I also bought a similar book back in 1989, in time to celebrate the 50th anniversary of these films. No FIVE CAME BACK in sight, and in fact, it paid short shrift to many acknowledged film classics. The more recent book is much more inclusive.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...