Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who was in all 5 films?

Jessica Tandy.....TopBilled.....you're making it too easy with the pics.

Next:

ACT ONE (1963)

THE PRODUCERS (1967)

BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID  (1969)

WHAT'S UP DOC (1972)

BEER (1985)

12 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

Jessica Tandy.....TopBilled.....you're making it too easy with the pics.

LOL...my goal is to advertise good movies and I want people to see CAMILLA (1994). :) 

(At least I didn't make it easier by mentioning COCOON or DRIVING MISS DAISY. Right?)

• Like 1

JOHNNY  WHITAKER   next:  Tunes  of  Glory  1960     Tom  Jones  1963       They  Shoot  Horses,  Don't  They  1969     X,Y  and  Z  1972      Superman II  1980

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

LOL...my goal is to advertise good movies and I want people to see CAMILLA (1994). :) 

(At least I didn't make it easier by mentioning COCOON or DRIVING MISS DAISY. Right?)

BTW, when I was a practicing veterinarian , Alfred Uhry, the Pulitzer, Tony and Oscar winning author of DRIVING MISS DAISY was a regular client.  I knew him before DMD hit it big . He had cats.  He lived in NYC but had a weekend home in the NW hills of CT. I remember him being  very modest and soft spoken; as unpretentious as you could imagine. He's still alive at 84. 

Another screenwriter client was Earnest Tidyman, Oscar winner for THE FRENCH CONNECTION and the Richard Roundtree, SHAFT series. He had two little Jack Russell Terriers that had regular names for public purposes, but in our office (he insisted I put it on their records) he would refer to them as "Sex and Violence." True story. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, MrMagoo said:

BTW, when I was a practicing veterinarian , Alfred Uhry, the Pulitzer, Tony and Oscar winning author of DRIVING MISS DAISY was a regular client.  I knew him before DMD hit it big . He had cats.  He lived in NYC but had a weekend home in the NW hills of CT. I remember him being  very modest and soft spoken; as unpretentious as you could imagine. He's still alive at 84. 

Another screenwriter client was Earnest Tidyman, Oscar winner for THE FRENCH CONNECTION and the Richard Roundtree, SHAFT series. He had two little Jack Russell Terriers that had regular names for public purposes, but in our office (he insisted I put it on their records) he would refer to them as "Sex and Violence." True story. 

Great anecdote(s). Thanks for sharing. Love reading this kind of stuff!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Great anecdote(s). Thanks for sharing. Love reading this kind of stuff!

I actually only met Tidyman once. He died not too soon after I started practicing. He had a an executive assistant who often brought the dogs in. 

Interestingly, the EA was a local woman and aspiring writer trying to get started back in the 80's. Her name was Joan Barthel and she wrote the book "A Death in Canaan" which was based on a true story about a teenager, Peter Reilly, tried for the murder of his mother.  He was initially found guilty but became a cause celebre for such notables as Arthur Miller, Richard Widmark  (both of whom I met briefly at some point) and Mike Nichols who got him a new trial and an eventual acquittal. 

The book was turned into a TV movie of the same name starring Stephanie Powers (as the author), Brian Dennehy and Conchata Ferrell. The trial was held in Litchfield, CT. One of my other clients was the foreman of the original jury that convicted him....and boy....he did not like talking about it. 

15 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

I actually only met Tidyman once. He died not too soon after I started practicing. He had a an executive assistant who often brought the dogs in. 

Interestingly, the EA was a local woman and aspiring writer trying to get started back in the 80's. Her name was Joan Barthel and she wrote the book "A Death in Canaan" which was based on a true story about a teenager, Peter Reilly, tried for the murder of his mother.  He was initially found guilty but became a cause celebre for such notables as Arthur Miller, Richard Widmark  (both of whom I met briefly at some point) and Mike Nichols who got him a new trial and an eventual acquittal. 

The book was turned into a TV movie of the same name starring Stephanie Powers (as the author), Brian Dennehy and Conchata Ferrell. The trial was held in Litchfield, CT. One of my other clients was the foreman of the original jury that convicted him....and boy....he did not like talking about it. 

I just looked and the 1978 TV movie you mentioned starring Stefanie Powers was never released on home video. I'd like to see it. 

Apparently Arthur Miller wrote a play based on Peter Riley's case, which later served as the basis for the movie EVERYBODY WINS (1990).

I found this news blurb from November 24, 1976:

Three years ago Peter Riley of Canaan, Connecticut, was charged with the murder of his mother and was convicted of manslaughter. Area residents, including playwright Arthur Miller and director Mike Nichols, began a legal battle to have the evidence reviewed. Riley was cleared today.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I just looked and the 1978 TV movie you mentioned starring Stefanie Powers was never released on home video. I'd like to see it. 

Apparently Arthur Miller wrote a play based on Peter Riley's case, which later served as the basis for the movie EVERYBODY WINS (1990).

I found this news blurb from November 24, 1976:

Three years ago Peter Riley of Canaan, Connecticut, was charged with the murder of his mother and was convicted of manslaughter. Area residents, including playwright Arthur Miller and director Mike Nichols, began a legal battle to have the evidence reveiewed. Riley was cleared today.

A DEATH IN CANAAN was fairly well received, as I recall. I think it garnered an Emmy nomination.

The murder, trial, book and movie all occurred before I arrived in Litchfield County. Ms. Barthel was working for Tidyman even though she had already published the book.  Such is the life of a writer. I did not know her very well either. She wrote another book about another murder in California that was also turned into a tv film, A DEATH IN CALIFORNIA. Interesting how she didn't continue the series. I'm sure there is at least one lurid murder in every state she could detail. 

I see where she helped Rosemary Clooney write her autobiography.  She has authored a handful of other books.

Any movie with Dennehy and Farrell in it couldn't be bad. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

A DEATH IN CANAAN was fairly well received, as I recall. I think it garnered an Emmy nomination.

The murder, trial, book and movie all occurred before I arrived in Litchfield County. Ms. Barthel was working for Tidyman even though she had already published the book.  Such is the life of a writer. I did not know her very well either. She wrote another book about another murder in California that was also turned into a tv film, A DEATH IN CALIFORNIA. Interesting how she didn't continue the series. I'm sure there is at least one lurid murder in every state she could detail. 

I see where she helped Rosemary Clooney write her autobiography.  She has authored a handful of other books.

Any movie with Dennehy and Farrell in it couldn't be bad. 

Now you have me interested in this case.

Here's a fascinating article published by the New York Times. It was after Riley's conviction in 1973 (they call him Reilly in the article) and before his conviction was overturned in 1976. The article is dated December 15, 1975:

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/12/15/archives/arthur-miller-turns-detective-in-murder-playwright-digs-into-the.html

1 hour ago, cinemaman said:

JOHNNY  WHITAKER   next:  Tunes  of  Glory  1960     Tom  Jones  1963       They  Shoot  Horses,  Don't  They  1969     X,Y  and  Z  1972      Superman II  1980

Susannah York

Next:

THE HEART WITHIN (1957)

SINK THE BISMARCK (1969) first movie I ever saw at a drive in

BLOW UP (1966)

CAMELOT (1967)

GANGS OF NEW YORK (2002)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Now you have me interested in this case.

Here's a fascinating article published by the New York Times. It was after Riley's conviction in 1973 (they call him Reilly in the article) and before his conviction was overturned in 1976. The article is dated December 15, 1975:

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/12/15/archives/arthur-miller-turns-detective-in-murder-playwright-digs-into-the.html

It is a great story. As I recall, almost everyone thought Reilly was innocent and had been coerced. My client, the jury foreman, obviously voted to convict which is why he got quite agitated when it came up in a conversation once and I learned the hard way not to pursue that again.

Reilly's attorney, Catherine Roraback, was quite famous for defending controversial causes. As your article states, she was lead attorney in Griswold vs. Connecticut which led to the "Right of Privacy" decision by the Supreme Court and she defended the Black Panthers. 

The Roraback family is well established in Litchfield County, CT. I knew many of her relatives, as well. 

Connecticut is known for some pretty wild murders. This one, the wood chipper murder (great scene in FARGO lifted from that case)and the recent Dulos murder/disappearance/suicide from last year, which is still unsolved.

38 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

DAVID  HEMMINGS   next:  The  Public  Enemy  1931      G-Men  1935      The  Roaring  Twenties  1939        What  Price  Glory  1952     Ragtime  1981

James Cagney. I just watched THE ROARING TWENTIES. 

Next: I'm really going obscure here.....some WWII era make ya feel good movies

DIVE BOMBER (1941)

NAVY BLUES (1941)

THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON (1941)

CAPTAINS OF THE CLOUDS (1942)

AIR FORCE (1943)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Next: I'm really going obscure here.....some WWII era make ya feel good movies

Gig Young  (Clever choice of films, I didn't remember that he was in any of those.  That took some digging!)

Suddenly (1954)

Torch Song (1953)

Member of the Wedding (1952)

Bride by Mistake (1944)

Hitler's Children (1943)

Good one. Someone mentioned THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY so I went with some of his early, smaller role films. I'm not sure I saw any of them. You did good. 

My first run through your list came up empty. Gotta get to work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Gig Young  (Clever choice of films, I didn't remember that he was in any of those.  That took some digging!)

Suddenly (1954)

Torch Song (1953)

Member of the Wedding (1952)

Bride by Mistake (1944)

Hitler's Children (1943)

Nancy Gates. Not someone I think of much.  I might have seen that Sinatra/Hayden movie.

Next:

BACHELOR IN PARIS (1952)

NORMAN CONQUEST (1953)

BETRAYED (1954)

THE CROOKED SKY (1957)

OPERATION CROSSBOW (1965)

• Like 1

Anton Diffring

Next:  

Billion Dollar Brain (1967)

Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Alex in Wonderland (1970)

Animal House (1978)

Six Degrees of Separation (1993)

16 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Anton Diffring

Next:  

Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Animal House (1978)

You're good.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Anton Diffring

Next:  

Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Animal House (1978)

Donald Sutherland. The Animal House and Kelly's Heroes were the key. I particularly liked him in EYE OF THE NEEDLE (1981) Underappreciated in my opinion.

Next:

THE VIRGIN SOLDIERS (1969)

JUST A GIGOLO (1978)

THE HUNGER (1983)

THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST (1988)

THE PRESTIGE (2006)

• Like 1