Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alan Arkin honored on August 21 during Summer Under The Stars

HoldenIsHere

I'm looking forward to Alan Arkin's day on August 21 during this year's Summer Under The Stars.

I'm especially excited about seeing for the first time LITTLE MURDERS, adapted by Jules Feiffer from his play.

The play lasted only 7 performances on Broadway but was subsequently successfully produced in London by the Royal Shakespeare Company. After the London run, the play was revived Off-Broadway, directed by Alan Arkin. Feiffer won an Obie  Award for this production, which ran for 400 performances.

The film adaptation was also directed by Arkin.

I'm also interested in seeing FULL MOON HIGH, which also stars Alan Arkin's son Adam Arkin.

The movie also features the last movie performance of Elizabeth Hartman (except for her voice work in THE SECRET OF NIMH). 

Of course, WAIT UNTIL DARK and THE HEART IS A LONELY HUINTER are airing on Arkin's day.

I wish TCM was also airing LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE as part of the tribute.

07roch600.1.jpg

• Like 2

What a day!

Even though we in Canada do not get the excellent 'Cooperstown' (1993) - I can't believe TCM is not able to show that little-known entry up here - there are no less than 9 titles I'm set to record - and that doesn't include 'Wait Until Dark' or 'The Heart is a Lonely Hunter', his greatest (probably) performances being those, because I already have them.

With Alan Arkin, Michael Caine, Warren Oates and George C. Scott honoured this year, it's been one of my favorite SUTS years - SUTS being something I'm not usually all that hepped-up about.

• Like 1

Yes, HEARTS OF THE WEST is a great movie that TCM introduced me to.

Jeff Bridges is so cute in this one. Playing a writer - and something of a rube - as he's being carried out, wounded, on a stretcher, he's reciting "the room lit up with gunfire", already writing about it out loud.

I've always found Jeff to be a likeable actor. Very much enjoyed watching his work right from the very beginning of his career.

• Like 1

Jeff Bridges is so cute in this one. Playing a writer - and something of a rube - as he's being carried out, wounded, on a stretcher, he's reciting "the room lit up with gunfire", already writing about it out loud.

I've always found Jeff to be a very likeable actor. Very much enjoyed watching his work right from the very beginning of his career.

Well, he's cuter than Donald Trump.

• Like 1

I've always found Jeff to be a likeable actor. Very much enjoyed watching his work right from the very beginning of his career.

Yes, Jeff Bridges is a very good actor even in his early work in movies like THE LAST PICTURE SHOW.

I think he is the baby in THE COMPANY SHE KEEPS starring Jane Greer. 

Every movie that I have seen Alan Arkin in I liked. he played three characters in WAIT UNTIL DARK 1967 Roat Jr, Roat. Sr. and the villainous Roat. When Roat leaped across the dark room at Audrey Hepburn,it was truly scary. he was impressive in the HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER,LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, AND ARGO. Two movies which I haven't seen are POPI 1969, FREEBIE AND THE BEAN 1974. Popi supports his two boys by working three jobs, but they are still stuck living in the ghetto. The boys see gangs do violence, and they are soon victimized. Popi comes up with a far fetched plan to give the boys a better life. FREEBIE AND THE BEAN interests me of something of favorite British Irish actor said in a interview. Peter`Toole said that when his wife Sian Phillips left she wrote a note saying that he had to see this new movie FREEBIE AND THE BEAN. The note said there was tomato sauce or ketchup in the film, and it was hilarious.Peter saw the movie, and he loved it. Shortly he flew to Hollywood and attended a party with a friend. A fellow at the party showed Peter a script he wrote, and he told him he wanted him to star in his film. Peter told him to get in touch with his agent. Peter left the party with his friend, and he told him about the persistent script guy. The friend said "DDin`t you know that was the director Richard Rush who director FREEBIE AND THE BEAN? Peter rushed back into the party and told Richard not to even think of giving the part of the eccentric director in THE STUNT MAN 1980 to anyone else. The STUNT MAN is a classic, and the movie earned Peter his six Academy Award nomination. So I figure I will enjoy this movie of SF cops Alan Arkin and James Caan trying to get the goods on a numbers racketeer. Valerie Harper and the late Alex Rocco costar. 

• Like 1

Every movie that I have seen Alan Arkin in I liked.

Yeah, if he's in it, there's always gonna be something to like. He's incapable of giving a bad performance.

Tomorrow is, hands down, the best - the highlight day of SUTS 2015. Hope you all have about 22 hours worth of room on your recorders. Get it all - It's worth it.

• Like 1

Yeah, if he's in it, there's always gonna be something to like. He's incapable of giving a bad performance.

Tomorrow is, hands down, the best - the highlight day of SUTS 2015. Hope you all have about 22 hours worth of room on your recorders. Get it all - It's worth it.

I totally agree with you. My highlight was Patricia Neal and today Alan Arkin two versatile actors on stage and screen. Whenever I click on the TCM site to the star of the day, I cannot get to the site. So I am adding my own comments. Alan won a Tony for the comedy ENTER LAUGHING a semi autobiographical play by Carl Reiner. Alan directed the Off Broadway play LITTLE MURDERS, which he also directed for the big screen. The second comedy he directed for Broadway was THE SUNSHINE BOYS, and he was nominated for a Tony.Alan made his movie debut in THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING 1966, and he won the Golden Globe Globe award for best actor in a comedy or musical.In 1968 Alan won the NY Film Critics Circle award for THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER. The Kansas City Film Critics Circle Award gave him the best actor award for POPI in 1969.A film that I wish TCM would have scheduled is GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS 1992. David Mamet wrote the screenplay for the ensemble cast including Alan, Jack Lemmon, Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, and Alec Baldwin. The movie takes place in a high pressured real estate office where the only word is SELL!A movie that I never heard of THIRTEENCONVERSATIONS ABOUT ONE THING 2001 earned Alan another best supporting actor  award from the Boston Society Of Film Critics.Happy to report that Alan has a new movie coming out in November 2015, and a second film to be released in May 2015. You can`t keep a good actor down.

I watched Alan Arkin in four films yesterday. In WAIT UNTIL DARK 1967 he played three different characters a father, son, and the mastermind. All these men looked different and sounded different. The creepiest was Roat who killed two people with his knife Geraldine. Now it was time to kill Audrey Hepburn. He almost succeeded, but blind Audrey found her own knife. She stabs Roat with the knife, and you think that he is dead. But he leaps forward with the knife still trying to do away with Audrey. I found this scene very frightening. The next movie was THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER1968. Alan plays the deaf mute John Singer who works as a engraver in a jewelery store. John can read lips, and he has a deaf mute friend. His friend is simple minded, and he doesn`t think before he does something even if it is bad. Soon the friend is sent to a state hospital three hundred miles away. John is heartbroken, but a kind person tells him that he should be able to find employment in the city where his friend is now living. John rents a room with a poor family with three children. The oldest child is a daughter in high school, she resents giving up her room. John discovers the girl loves music, and he buys a record player and a few albums. Mick loves listening to the music, and she and John become friends. John also becomes friends with the local doctor, and he helps him translate with a deaf mute patient. John visits his friend in the hospital, and they go out to dinner. John becomes disgusted with his friend because he keeps eating and they need to get back to the hospital on time. The next time John visits his friend, he is told that he died. John does not seem to be able to get over his death, and maybe that is the reason the movie ended on a somber note. Without speaking a word, I thought Alan was very believable as a deaf mute. The next movie I watched was POPI 1969. maybe Alan has a facility with accents, because his Spanish accent was as good as his Russian accent in THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING 1966. Abraham Rodriquez, Popi works three jobs trying to make a better life for his two young sons. Recently the three men are living in a slum apartment in Spanish Harlem. Conditions on the street are terrible, and the boys are harassed. They soon start doing bad things themselves. Popi comes up with a far fetched plan. They will travel by bus to Miami, and he will put the boys on a motorized rowboat headed to open water. Popi thinks that the boys will soon be found and rescued. They will only speak Spanish, and say they are from Cuba. Popi wants the boys to have a better life, and he wants a good family to adopt them. When some time has passed and Popi has not heard of the boys being rescued, he becomes very distraught. Finally, word comes that the boys were found, and they are in the hospital. Popi uses every conceivable disguise and method to see his boys. When the event finally happens, the boys plead with Popi that they only want to live with him. Popi realizes that his sons are right, and he truly loves them. They go back to the same apartment in the same neighborhood. The relationship with Alan and his sons was convincing though rough at times. The last movie was THE IN LAWS 1979. This movie was a comic caper which I found amusing especially in the chase scenes. All four of these roles showed the versatility of Alan Arkin.

I just read this, and I have to emphatically agree. I love Jeff Bridges, he's one of my favourite actors living today. He's been in so many good movies, and he makes everything he's in, better.

Two that come to mind off the top of my head : The Big Lebowski (of course ! one of his most famous and popular roles,he so clearly had a lot of fun making this one)  and Crazy Heart .

• Like 1

I just read this, and I have to emphatically agree. I love Jeff Bridges, he's one of my favourite actors living today. He's been in so many good movies, and he makes everything he's in, better.

Two that come to mind off the top of my head : The Big Lebowski (of course ! one of his most famous and popular roles,he so clearly had a lot of fun making this one)  and Crazy Heart .

So many good Jeff movies.

'The Fabulous Baker Boys' (1989) is a favorite.

• Like 1

How I miss the days of the made for TV movie. Many times they were better than the movie released in theatres. Such is the case with COOPERSTOWN 1993 a movie made for TNT. I am a baseball fan anyway, and I really enjoyed this film. Alan Arkin  was perfectly cast as a retired pitcher in the big leagues, He pitched for sixteen years and won a MVP and Rookie OF THE YEAR awards. But he has been a bitter man for thirty years, because his he gave up a home run in the ninth inning and his team lost their only chance to go to the World Series. Harry blamed his best friend Raymond who was traded to another team. He believed that Raymond gave his new teammates the signals to watch for what type of pitch Harry was going to throw. When Harry reads that Raymond is elected to the Baseball Hall OF Fame, he becomes very angry. His wife, nicely played by Hope Lange, tries to reason with him. The phone rings, and Harry starts on a journey to rediscover his life.A very nicely made baseball movie. I maybe in the minority, but I did enjoy FREEBIE AND THE BEAN 1974. What I did not remember correctly came from the making of THE STUNT MAN dvd. Peter O`Toole`s wife said that it had tomato soup in the film, and Peter should see the film for the direction. I saw the tomato soup scene during a chase with Bean and a crook. In my opinion Alan and James Caan were a good team.

Let me know what ya think.  When I saw it about 40 years ago I thought it was a right stinker.

I've watched a bit of LITTLE MURDERS and like what I've seen so far.

I'll try to remember to post again after I've seen the entire movie.

One thing that struck me is the female lead Marcia Rodd (someone I'm not familar with) sounds a lot like Liza Minnelli.

I've watched a bit of LITTLE MURDERS and like what I've seen so far.

I'll try to remember to post again after I've seen the entire movie.

One thing that struck me is the female lead Marcia Rodd (someone I'm not familar with) sounds a lot like Liza Minnelli.

It kills me that his hobby includes taking pictures of dog ****. And his emotional vacancy - when people beat him up he just takes it, figuring they'll eventually get tired and then leave him alone.

New York in the 60's and 70's was becoming notorious for its episodes of senseless violence - this movie plays on that quite well. As black comedies go, this is way at the front of the list for me.

• Like 1

yeah, it IS a weerd film, but I liked it too. Just gotta be open to that type of humor. ;)

"It's a movie about people driven to insanity and desperate acts of violence by the simple experience of living in a large American city.
It falls somewhere within the category of satire, but Arkin has been careful to keep the satire within very tight and self-consistent boundaries. This isn't the kind of satire that lets up occasionally, that opens a window to the merely ridiculous (as "Dr. Strangelove" did), so that we can laugh and relax and brace ourselves for the next stretch of painfulness."

-Roger Ebert

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings