Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GREASE sing-a-long

HoldenIsHere

Hi everyone!

I went to see Grease Sing Along last night in NYC and I must say I had an amazing time! Everyone was so into it and that created a memorable experience for me. I brought a group of friends with me, some of which weren't familiar with the movie. I wasn't sure how they would respond to it but they absolutely loved it. They were singing and laughing! We didn't want it to end! This was a great idea TCM and I hope this will not be the last time Grease Sing Along will be in theaters!

Sherrell ????

Has anyone attended (or plans to attend) a showing of the GREASE sing-a-long Fathom event?

I saw that at least one theater in my area showed it today and will showing it again this week.

I admit that I'd be more likely attend a GREASE 2 sing-a-long. 

What is a sing along? The audience sings along with the singing on screen? Droll.

Personally Holden, I wouldn't attend a GREASE II screening regardless of HOW much I was paid!

The whole "sing-along" idea seems OK, and probably appeals to those whose natures were too tame to get into the whole "ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW" mayhem.

But if they start doing this with other musicals, it could get traumatic.   Imagine......

A whole theater full of widely contrasting voices of questionable quality robustly trying to sing along with "Some Enchanted Evening"!  :wacko:

The surrounding populace might start running for cover thinking a SIREN is warning of an approaching tornado!

Now, GREASE is a movie I at first thought I'd never care for, but I like it OK I guess.  It's one of my wife's favorites and I never squirm when she mentions a desire to watch it(like I do when she wants to watch "Bring It On" AGAIN!), but my thought is that for ME to sing along with it is gross disrespect!  :)

Sepiatone

The idea of a movie sing-along is bad....GREASE being the choice of movie shown is even worse. I really dislike everything FATHOM has promoted this far.

I went to the JAWS and I liked it. & I would definitely have going to see INDEMNITY but was not able to. They only have one showing one time in my local theater.

► Last week I went to the store, bought some Poppin' Fresh dough and a cookie sheet and had my own sing-a-long to "pre-GREASED". 

In 1998, I went to a theater and watched 'GREASE' for its 20th Anniversary re-release.  Not a sing-a-long back in '98, but most enjoyable.

Personally Holden, I wouldn't attend a GREASE II screening regardless of HOW much I was paid!

Seriously?

I can't wrap my head around that one.

For a million dollars ---even for $10,000 ---- I would attend a screening of FOREST GUMP and I totally and completely loath and despise that movie. 

• Like 1

The whole "sing-along" idea seems OK, and probably appeals to those whose natures were too tame to get into the whole "ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW" mayhem.

But if they start doing this with other musicals, it could get traumatic.   Imagine......

A whole theater full of widely contrasting voices of questionable quality robustly trying to sing along with "Some Enchanted Evening"!  :wacko:

The surrounding populace might start running for cover thinking a SIREN is warning of an approaching tornado!

Now, GREASE is a movie I at first thought I'd never care for, but I like it OK I guess.  It's one of my wife's favorites and I never squirm when she mentions a desire to watch it(like I do when she wants to watch "Bring It On" AGAIN!), but my thought is that for ME to sing along with it is gross disrespect!  :)

Sepiatone

How about some of the Joe Pasternak musicals which are largely classical or operatic? Can you envision how sing-alongs would sound?

I went to the JAWS and I liked it. & I would definitely have going to see INDEMNITY but was not able to. They only have one showing one time in my local theater.

OH yeah Lorna, I ALSO went to the JAWS movie screening when they had them recently!

The only problem was I thought that IT was gonna be a "song-along" kind'a thing TOO.

(...'cause when I started making those tuba-like sounds in the notes of F and F-sharp out loud in the theater while the movie was playing, you wouldn't BELIEVE the dirty looks I got from those sitting around me)

;)

• Like 4

As much as I enjoy watching Grease (I know many here dislike this film, but I don't care, it's one of my favorites), I cannot bring myself to watch the sing-a-long version.  It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people sing along to the music in the theater when I'm trying to watch the movie.  I realize that if it's a sing-a-long version, I'd have to get over my pet peeve, so it's better I do not purchase a ticket.  When I saw Singin' in the Rain a couple years ago, the person right behind me kept quietly singing the words to all the songs--which was annoying enough.  What made it worse was that the person didn't know all the words to the songs. 

I feel like I would just end up incredibly irritated and it'd be better for my psyche to not subject myself to this.

I've liked quite a few of the Fathom offerings this year, I saw Rear Window, Jaws, and Double Indemnity.  I'm planning on going to see Roman Holiday in November. 

• Like 1

When I sawSingin' in the Rain a couple years ago, the person right behind me kept quietly singing the words to all the songs--which was annoying enough.  What made it worse was that the person didn't know all the words to the songs. 

Yes, we went to a screening of MY FAIR LADY and someone off to the side of us sang through the entire movie. Oy! So annoying.

I've liked quite a few of the Fathom offerings this year, I saw Rear WindowJaws, and Double Indemnity. I'm planning on going to see Roman Holiday in November. 

I've recently seen those screened in 35mm.  So many titles are available on 35mm, I don't know WHY Fathom prefers digital presentations. Oh right, it's easier for them....not necessarily better for the audience.

The only problem was I thought that IT was gonna be a "song-along" kind'a thing TOO.

(...'cause when I started making those tuba-like sounds in the notes of F and F-sharp out loud in the theater while the movie was playing, you wouldn't BELIEVE the dirty looks I got from those sitting around me)

How AWESOME would an actual JAWS singalong be?

Like, when the score starts in, they run a scroll along the bottom of the screen with a bouncing ball over the words "dunh-uh....dunh-un-uhhh...DUNTON TONTON dunton ton ton ton ton ton...") and the audience follows along.

Conversely, if you ever want to hardcore prank someone, hire a marching band to follow them around playing the JAWS theme, preferably in the formation of a shark and wearing grey and white.

How AWESOME would an actual JAWS singalong be?

Like, when the score starts in, they run a scroll along the bottom of the screen with a bouncing ball over the words "dunh-uh....dunh-un-uhhh...DUNTON TONTON dunton ton ton ton ton ton...") and the audience follows along.

Conversely, if you ever want to hardcore prank someone, hire a marching band to follow them around playing the JAWS theme, preferably in the formation of a shark and wearing grey and white.

I'm surprised someone hasn't written JAWS: THE MUSICAL.

Seriously?

I can't wrap my head around that one.

For a million dollars ---even for $10,000 ---- I would attend a screening of FOREST GUMP and I totally and completely loath and despise that movie. 

I'm of a mind that people who use phrases like "loathe and despise" have continually wiped their b u t t s with too much ALUM to enjoy much out of life.  ;)

But, I don't care much for animal abuse in movies, and GREASE II beat a dead horse WAY too much to be amusing.

By the way....For the Grease "sing-a-long"---Did they re-edit the movie to include a bouncing white ball?  :P

Sepiatone

I'm of a mind that people who use phrases like "loathe and despise" have continually wiped their b u t t s with too much ALUM to enjoy much out of life. 

But, I don't care much for animal abuse in movies, and GREASE II beat a dead horse WAY too much to be amusing.

There were no horses in GREASE 2.

You still haven't explained how you couldn't be paid any amount of money to attend a screening of the movie.

I just can't grasp that.

PS. What is ALUM anyway????

Why?

JAWS is about a great white shark laying claim on an island community (Amity.)

FUNNY GIRL is about a great white woman laying a claim on an island community (Manhattan.)

and both will devour anything that gets in their path.

You make a very excellent point.

And the JAWS theme is melodically similar to the opening horns of "Don't Rain On My Parade."  

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings