Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

time to end my TCM ...

I reallly am considering cancelling my TCM station here in Toronto, Canada

with my cable package in order to have TCM I need to have a lot of stations that I don't watch

also TCM just keeps showing the same movies all the time and the website is also not great

and the ulimtate insult is when they advertise a certain movie on facebook and it is not even shown here in Canada

I remember last summer when they focused on Faye Dunnaway

instead of the movie selections they had on the US schedule here in Canada they had one movie on 3 times in one day at different times

there has been talk that someday we will be able to choose the stations we want but how long will that take

I agree with you kas. I cut my cord to cable 3 years ago. For some of us, it's just not worth the money. My recorder is workin' over someone else's house for "must see" TCM. Many times, movies discussed here are available at my local library.

Typically, I record 5-6 movies a month... this month only TWO selections. After awhile, you've seen them all.

I agree that TCM does show the same movies too many times and features the same actors way too many times.  I think SUTS is one of their worst programming disasters.  August is the month that I watch TCM less than any other and I am probably home as much or more.

SOTM is not much better.

For me to eliminate TCM from cable, would have to eliminate the channels that I do watch.  

As for being able to select channels to which we want to subscribe?  Not in my lifetime.  

• Like 3

it's tcm's fault because they never show Hot Spell(1958) or The Flame Barrier(1958) or the UK cut of William Cameron Menzies' Invaders From Mars....

and by failing to do so they have done full justice to the whole of American cinema...

slackers! :) 

I hope they will show the UK version of Invaders from Mars.  Does it have extra footage?  I too like Hot Spell and hope they will show it.  Have not seen The Flame Barrier yet. Would like to see it too!

About 3 nights ago an out of state friend sent me Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde  '41 with Spencer Tracy, Lana Turner and Ingrid Bergman.  It was the UK version and had added footage (we hadn't seen in years!).  In this film we have Mr. Hyde grimacing in the mirror at Dr.Jekyll early on (when his experiment of turning good into evil begins to work) and toward the end when the police are about to catch him.  It turns out the original film ran for nearly 2 hours, but is almost never shown in its entirety.  Although this was a transfer from an old VHS and was not very good quality, I watched with rapt attention.  IT was great to see this version that was complete!

• Like 1

I agree that TCM does show the same movies too many times and features the same actors way too many times.  I think SUTS is one of their worst programming disasters.  August is the month that I watch TCM less than any other and I am probably home as much or more.

SOTM is not much better.

For me to eliminate TCM from cable, would have to eliminate the channels that I do watch.  

As for being able to select channels to which we want to subscribe?  Not in my lifetime.  

Though TCM is annoyingly repetitive at times, it would be hard to top them now.  AS I once wrote in a magazine article, "It would be a dreary world were it not for TCM".   At one time we had many classic films out there to watch on varying channels  All this changed in the 80's and we were lucky to have AMC.  When they fell by the wayside, TCM took over and show the fine films we hope to see for the most part.   I do remember that TCM was initially not a pay channel on our "tier of channels" - lol . This means the media tried to make us believe that Cinemax and HBO topped TCM.  To quote Shakespeare, "Methinks not!"  I am sorry, but even as a teen in the 70's I never liked the newer films.   (There were exceptions, of course).  As a friend expressed it, when the censorship was taken from the films, the romance dissipated as well.  So the 70/s became often blatant with casual sex scenes and violence.  This I do not mind if it is handled tastefully, but no - in many cases I cannot find that it is!   (I am a pre-code 30's fan now too!) Pre-codes handle these issues in a better manner, I feel. So today I consistently love older films of the 30's and 40's - many are superb classics, and of course the 50's as well.    In the 60's I found some gems to watch while still in school, but not many.  The Valley of the Dolls type film was not for this high school Sophomore!    Later in the workplace most of my co-workers saw the new stuff, but I went home to watch the classics on Million Dollar Movie Channel 9.

Now we pay separately for Fox Movie Channel which is $16 a month plus TCM.  This gives us the broader span to watch.

To quote the magazine (FIlms of the Golden Age) I subscribe to, ":Once a Classic Film Fan, Always a Classic Film Fan"). There is something about these films that can never be topped!  (Of course I am very opinionated as you can see -- NOT).

• Like 1

with my cable package in order to have TCM I need to have a lot of stations that I don't watch

also TCM just keeps showing the same movies all the time and the website is also not great

and the ulimtate insult is when they advertise a certain movie on facebook and it is not even shown here in Canada

I remember last summer when they focused on Faye Dunnaway

instead of the movie selections they had on the US schedule here in Canada they had one movie on 3 times in one day at different times

there has been talk that someday we will be able to choose the stations we want but how long will that take

For about the past 6 weeks or so, TCM as carried by Rogers Cable here in Cambridge, Ontario has had numerous quirks of momentary pixellations and what I can only describe as partial screen outages (like a couple of inches here and there popping up at any location on the screen). I record movies for my collection - have been doing so for years without this sort of thing. Now, many recordings I consider to be ruined because of these recent flaws in the cable feed.

With about 10 of the channels now record-blocking (started in May), there's becoming less and less reason to keep cable.

But I will really feel the loss of TCM if I do cut the cord - some of what they show is very hard to come by (or very expensive comparatively-speaking).

SOTM is not much better.

I was kinda thinking I was the only one who loathed SUTS. Leafing through the August schedule one morning page after page I kept saying "No. Nope. Nothing there." I did watch some of Groucho's day the other night.

You have to vote with your wallet to get their attention. Over 600,000 are cutting the cord here in the U.S. a year. And now so many streaming alternatives are popping up, its hard to keep track of them. Cable companies are making deals they would never make before just to keep customers any way they can.

You may just have to do it.

At one time we had many classic films out there to watch on varying channels 

I have more channels playing classic film now than I have ever had. And on free t.v. MOVIES, Getv, The Works, GRIT. Then TCM had the good sense to join SlingTV so I don't have to pay $80 to watch a few channel I actually like.

Then there is Watch TCM so if a movie shows early in the morning, I can watch it anytime at my leisure. I think TCM is at the forefront and now at a reasonable price. Its a Win/Win for me.

• Like 1

i'm not cutting TCM but i'm interested in streaming alternatives. Youtube is a good resource, but does any one know of any other online subscription services that shows classic. i am interested in knowing/adding/subscribing if any one knows of any good ones

it's tcm's fault because they never show Hot Spell(1958) or The Flame Barrier(1958) or the UK cut of William Cameron Menzies' Invaders From Mars....

and by failing to do so they have done full justice to the whole of American cinema...

slackers! :) 

You tell 'em nip-baby!

You tell 'em nip-baby!

my bad...but you know what I meant.  they HAVE NOT done justice to the whole of cinema...

and I bet you THIS. should tcm ever honor William Cameron Menzies, they will show the shorter and inferior US version of Invaders From Mars.

why?

because it will be a lot easier for tcm slackers to get the shorter inferior US print than the UK print.

even though the UK print is better, that will mean nothing to tcm. :D

Yeah ND, and let's not forget TCM screwin' us all around all these years by never showin' HOW THE WEST WAS WON in that there whole Smilebox format TOO!!!

LOL

;)

my bad...but you know what I meant.  they HAVE NOT done justice to the whole of cinema...

Well, tell 'em anyway!

and I bet you THIS. should tcm ever honor William Cameron Menzies, they will show the shorter and inferior US version of Invaders From Mars.

why?

because it will be a lot easier for tcm slackers to get the shorter inferior US print than the UK print.

even though the UK print is better, that will mean nothing to tcm. :D

Harrumph!  Well, all I can say is typical!  After going to all the effort to bring us a Summer-long festival of film noir, after bringing us the history of film series, with around a hundred or so of films from around the world and through time, after bringing us the movies of Merchant and Ivory, after bringing us rarely seen movies of favorite actors even in this month of retreads, after putting together different series to appeal to different viewing tastes, such as silent, underground, and international movies, TCM can't get one measly little movie from England?  Well, as I said, harrumph!

• Like 1

KaslovesTCM (but apparently not anymore it seems),

Obviously, only you can decide whether to end your cable/satellite services, as you're the one who pays the bill.  However, for me personally, I would be lost without TCM (well I guess I did do without for a few years, but I was always sad when I saw what I was missing when perusing the guide on the TV).  Now that I've had it a few years, I've been a pretty happy camper.

While I know some films are shown more frequently than others, this does not bother me.  It may depend on what type of film viewer you are.  Some people can't bear watching a film more than once a year it seems and there are others whom I've noticed don't see the need to watch the film again once they've seen it.  I, for one, divide my viewed films into four categories: 1) loved it! Will watch it over and over, multiple times a year (maybe multiple times a month or week!) depending on how much I loved it; 2) Films that are part of a tradition and are typically only watched on an annual basis as they're tied to a specific holiday or event (i.e. Planes Trains and Automobiles is my family's Thanksgiving movie); 3) Films I enjoyed, but don't feel the need to watch it again; 4) Films I hated and do not want to watch again.

I may have a different perspective on TCM's viewing tendencies due to age.  I'm a bit younger than many on this board, so there are a lot of films that are old news to some, but brand new to me.  I also have to work during the day, so I'm unable to watch TCM during the day.  I rarely watch TCM live, I typically have to DVR and get back to it later.  When some films are played more often than others, to me, it isn't a big deal, because I probably wasn't going to be able to watch it anyway.  Plus, if during the times when I can watch TCM during primetime, and what is scheduled doesn't interest me, I have a ton of stuff on the DVR to catch up on, or I can watch movies I own. 

With SUTS, it doesn't bother me that days are devoted to specific stars.  While there are stars that I enjoy and am happy to see a whole day of their films, I am more interested in the films themselves.  I look at the schedule each day and see what films sound interesting.  Many times, the film I record isn't because of the SUTS honoree that day, it's because the film features another person that I like.  I don't see an issue with honoring the "biggies" like Bogart, Hepburn, Cagney, etc. often, because these are the names that are most likely to be known to the most layman old movie watcher.  Someone who has heard of Bogart, but has never seen any of his films, might see Casablanca scheduled one night and decide to finally watch the classic film he/she has heard of their whole life.  While some may watch it and not visit TCM again for years, another person might get the bug and start seeking out TCM more often.  I also like that TCM features lesser known character actors and supporting players, as they are important to film and many times have provided the most memorable moments of classic films. 

For me, there is almost always something I'm interested in.  There are particular genres and stars that I don't particularly care for, but I would never say that TCM shouldn't show them.  Just because TCM hasn't shown The Perfect Specimen with Errol Flynn (which I'd love to see), it doesn't mean that I'd abandon the whole channel.  I'm sure that TCM doesn't go out of their way to not show a particular film.  It'd be interesting to see TCM Programmer's wish lists.  Who knows, maybe there is some other Errol fan like me who is a programmer and every month tries to schedule The Perfect Specimen, but to no avail.  You never know. 

There are a ton of other sources for classic film if TCM isn't showing what you want to see at that moment.  Fox Retro Channel (or whatever it's called) shows movies early in the morning and they don't have commercials, but they have a high amount of repeats.  Way more than North By Northwest airing once a month (or once every other month) on TCM.  HBO Go (HBO's streaming service) often times has classics listed in their movie catalog.  Netflix by mail (and streaming too, but there aren't a high turnover of classics on there) is a great source for DVDs, provided the film is in print.  If the film isn't in print, I have to think that TCM is probably the best source.  Amazon Prime has a ton of movies streaming.  Other than that, for the most obscure of films, one would probably have to visit a film festival or a special theater showing or something.

• Like 4

Yeah ND, and let's not forget TCM screwin' us all around all these years by never showin' HOW THE WEST WAS WON in that there whole Smilebox format TOO!!!

LOL

;)

Dargo, I hope this doesn't come across as a dumb question...

But I notice that others have referred to the "smilebox" format.  Can you tell me what the smilebox format is?

For that matter, I've noticed some disdain for what some refer to as the "Letterbox" shorts.  Are people referring to the movie trailers that TCM sometimes shows in between films?

But I notice that others have referred to the "smilebox" format.  Can you tell me what the smilebox format is?

For that matter, I've noticed some disdain for what some refer to as the "Letterbox" shorts.  Are people referring to the movie trailers that TCM sometimes shows in between films?

HI Speedy, and not a dumb question at all.

The "Smilebox" format is a digital transfer technique which takes the old Cinerama three camera film projection system such as this...

bigger_screens_a_l.jpg

...and then digitally combines it into a format which appears to the viewer as just as the following still of Robert Preston in the movie HOW THE WEST WAS WON here...

smiley%20large%20how%20the%20west%20was%

...and thus attempting to give the viewer the illusion of depth, and in almost a 3-D effect.

Personally, I don't see any great advantage in viewing any movie in this manner, and would think for it to be at all a pleasing experience, one would almost have to be seated directiy in front of a rather large television screen and which would encompass almost the entire field of vision of the viewer.

I would think any other viewing method than this and in this format, I would probably find to be somewhat distracting, although I have to admit that I've never actually watched a movie on TV or even in a movie theater in this format. 

HI Speedy, and not a dumb question at all.

The "Smilebox" format is a digital transfer technique which takes the old Cinerama three camera film projection system such as this...

bigger_screens_a_l.jpg

...and then digitally combines it into a format which appears to the viewer as just as the following still of Robert Preston in the movie HOW THE WEST WAS WON here...

smiley%20large%20how%20the%20west%20was%

...and thus attempting to give the viewer the illusion of depth, and in almost a 3-D effect.

Personally, I don't see any great advantage in viewing any movie in this manner, and would think for it to be at all a pleasing experience, one would almost have to be seated directiy in front of a rather large television screen and which would encompass almost the entire field of vision of the viewer.

I would think any other viewing method than this and in this format, I would probably find to be somewhat distracting, although I have to admit that I've never actually watched a movie on TV or even in a movie theater in this format.

Thanks Dargo! I don't think I'd want to watch in that format either. It might look okay on those new curved TVs that are coming out.

Oh, and in regard to your second question here...I think the disdain you're probably referring to here is solely about that Letterbox short featuring noted directors such as Scorsese and Pollack explaining to us why Letterboxing is preferable to the Pan and Scan method when movies filmed in CinemaScope and other wide screen formats are shown on television, and with the general disdain for it stemming from the fact that TCM every so often seems to it show it way too often as a filler between films.

Oh, and in regard to your second question here...I think the disdain you're probably referring to here is solely about that Letterbox short featuring noted directors such as Scorsese and Pollack explaining to us why Letterboxing is preferable to the Pan and Scan method when movies filmed in CinemaScope and other wide screen formats are shown on television, and with the general disdain for it stemming from the fact that TCM every so often seems to it show it way too often as a filler between films.

Oh. I don't think I've ever seen that short. What is the letterbox format? I'm glad there wasn't disdain for the old movie trailers. I rather enjoy those.

• Like 1

Oh. I don't think I've ever seen that short. What is the letterbox format? I'm glad there wasn't disdain for the old movie trailers. I rather enjoy those.

Here's the TCM "Letterbox" short I was referencing, Speedy...

I'll tellya....if I could afford cable, I'd love to have TCM. NO COMMERCIALS and no interruptions during the movie alone is worth it. I would happily watch whatever they're showing.

But money is the deciding factor.

That, and the fact I only have cable for TCM-the rest I never watched so therefore I don't miss it.

• Like 1