Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Giallo and Bava

GordonCole

Uncertain who Giallo is.  "Mill of the Stone Women" (1965?) was directed by a Giorgio Ferroni.  I do love Mario Bavas' work--Black Sunday (1961) & Black Sabbath especially--Barbara Steele was marvelous in the 1st, Boris Karloff in 2nd.  Black Sunday was shown in Oct. 2014, Black Sabbath not since 2008 (according to User Reviews Section of TCM).

Wondering if TCM has ever had a Giallo fest. Would be fun to see some of the stuff from Bava, Argento and even Franju, plus more recent fare. Any fans here? "Mill of the Stone Women" would be a great addition to the lineup.

i'm a fan. I haven't seen a huge number of Bava and Argento films, but I have seen several. May we add Lucio Fulci to this list?  

filmlover:  'Giallo' is not a person; it's a kind of genre-name for Italian-made suspense/horror movies from the '60s, '70s and '80s as near as I can tell.

As for LUCIO FULCI he directed some very gory movies that TCM may not wanna show.  At least in un-cut versions.  Yow!  (Not that I'd object, of course).

'Character development' wasn't a priority in the Fulci films I've seen (THE GATES OF HELL, THE BEYOND, NEW YORK RIPPER).  What was a priority was loads of blood and guts!   

In THE GATES OF HELL (aka:  "City of the Living Dead") there's this girl who vomits up her intestines sitting in a Jeep while being entranced by a dead priest who's come back to life.  Good old Lucio!   

• Like 1

When I think of Lucio Fulci, the first things that come to mind are Dr. Freudstein and the maggots in The House by the Cemetery.  Fulci did indeed have a unique style, and I'd like to see more of his films. I'd particularly like to see Beatrice Cenci, based on the same (true) story that moved Percy Bysshe Shelley to write his five-act play The Cenci and Alberto Ginastera to write an opera, Beatrix Cenci, both of which I've seen.

I don't remember if I've seen Fulci's Demonia, it sounds familiar. Demonic nuns who were tortured return centuries later to seek revenge. (I was going to post a photo, but they're too horrible).

In THE GATES OF HELL (aka:  "City of the Living Dead") there's this girl who vomits up her intestines sitting in a Jeep while being entranced by a dead priest who's come back to life.  Good old Lucio!   

Yeah.  I've been waiting to see that.

Wondering if TCM has ever had a Giallo fest. Would be fun to see some of the stuff from Bava, Argento and even Franju.

Not really. Once in a very blue moon TCM has shown the odd one - usually on Underground - but it's like pulling teeth to get them to show any kind of quantity of such product.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Black Sabbath (1963) was shown after midnight on Friday the 13th appropriately enough. What they programmed was the re-edited AIP import that played theaters and not Bava's original version I Tre Volti Della Paura/The Three Faces of Fear. It was an excellent print, beautiful color and audio. No scratches, spreckles, just perfect. I tried to copy it to a DVD but my provider ATT puts a block on TCM.

if I was programming for tcm you'd get a real mario bava treat...

his first film 'caltiki ll mostro immortale', which big professed cinemaphiles tcm have never shown, followed by black sunday.

:D

Nip, what do you think of "Blood and Black Lace"?

and tcm never shows any of k. gordon murray's mexican horror imports either.

they call themselves cinema aficionadoes?

some of chubusco-azteca studios' horror films have truly astounding atmospheric cinematography.

that oughta mean something to an outfit like tcm and yet they never show mexican horror genre films with the great abel salazar or german robles.

true space cadets know slackness when they see it. :D

• Like 2

and tcm never shows any of k. gordon murray's mexican horror imports either.

they call themselves ciema aficionadoes?

some of chubusco-azteca studios' horror films have truly astounding atmospheric cinematography.

that oughta mean something to an outfit like tcm and yet they never show mexican horror genre films with the great abel salazar or german robles.

true space cadets know slackness when they see it. :D

Hey, dude I love Salazar in "The Brainiac" and you are so right that any cinema fan would dig him!

Mexican horror films are a commodity that TCM has neglected and also Santo stuff.

Speaking of K. Gordon Murray makes me really disgusted that in a psychotronic festival on TCM what better film could they show than his highly celebrated "Shanty Tramp".

I dig those B-listers!

Hey, dude I love Salazar in "The Brainiac" and you are so right that any cinema fan would dig him!

Mexican horror films are a commodity that TCM has neglected and also Santo stuff.

Speaking of K. Gordon Murray makes me really disgusted that in a psychotronic festival on TCM what better film could they show than his highly celebrated "Shanty Tramp".

I dig those B-listers!

yeah! I wanna see Shanty Tramp! :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings