Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT Writing movie reviews

HelenBaby2

I'm not a very interesting writer of movie reviews, mostly because I concentrate on performances and the story. I haven't really studied film although I've watched a lot of them in my 60+ years on this planet. I've reviewed a few films on IMDB only if there were no reviews for films I might have seen. I do read reviews there frequently and kept seeing a familiar name a lot. So today while looking at some reviews over there, I looked at this person's board profile and he had written his thoughts on over 18,500 films & tv shows! That's a lot of words because he writes lengthy treatises on everything. I've seen a lot of movies and tv shows but I don't think it's anywhere near that.

This was just on mind mind.

I'm not a very interesting writer of movie reviews, mostly because I concentrate on performances and the story. I haven't really studied film although I've watched a lot of them in my 60+ years on this planet. I've reviewed a few films on IMDB only if there were no reviews for films I might have seen. I do read reviews there frequently and kept seeing a familiar name a lot. So today while looking at some reviews over there, I looked at this person's board profile and he had written his thoughts on over 18,500 films & tv shows! That's a lot of words because he writes lengthy treatises on everything. I've seen a lot of movies and tv shows but I don't think it's anywhere near that.

This was just on mind mind.

Here is a link to an IMDB reviewer who have a really high regard for.  This might even be who you are talking about.  He seems to overlap some of my interests in film, so naturally I come across his reviews quite often.  He seems a good deal more cynical than me, and I don't often agree with him, but he is consistent in his own right.  He usually substantiates his positions with good reasoning.

So I can read one of his reviews, take into consideration the way he would think about it, and then get a pretty good idea about the movie itself.

planktonrules

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur2467618/

I would echo the remarks of a famous wit who once insinuated that those who can do and those who can't...write criticism. Writing movie reviews that focus mostly on plot seem more worthwhile to me. Volume of output even if it is 100,000 reviews does not signify importance or value. Just saying.

Here is a link to an IMDB reviewer who have a really high regard for.  This might even be who you are talking about.  He seems to overlap some of my interests in film, so naturally I come across his reviews quite often.  He seems a good deal more cynical than me, and I don't often agree with him, but he is consistent in his own right.  He usually substantiates his positions with good reasoning.

So I can read one of his reviews, take into consideration the way he would think about it, and then get a pretty good idea about the movie itself.

planktonrules

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur2467618/

That's the person. I just didn't want to mention his name.

I sometimes read the imdb reviews, but I don't really take much stock into what people say in them.  I prefer to watch the film myself and form my own opinion.  I like to look up the films I watch on imdb to read trivia about the film and perhaps look up the actors themselves to read their bios.  Only then, I may peruse some of the reviews.  Some of the reviews are good, but many are lame.

The reviews I automatically discredit regardless of what is written:

1) If the person starts off their review of Top Hat (for example) and says, "I can't stand musicals" and then goes on about how they hated the film.  Thanks for the unbiased opinion reviewer. 

2) If the post is horribly misspelled or written.  Nope. 

3) If they start comparing the film to some other film they liked better, but is completely unrelated.  I read a review one time when someone stated that they disliked Casablanca and liked Raiders of the Lost Ark better. 

4) Someone starts going through the entire plot blow by blow and doesn't actually provide an opinion about the film.  That is essentially a movie version of a book report. 

5) Reviews which start out sounding pretentious.  The author uses snooty sounding film school student language to make themselves sound much smarter than the average reviewer, but usually provide the worst review of all.  I can't even describe what I'm trying to say here, but I know a snooty review when I see it.

---

I do appreciate well written reviews where it is apparent that the author not only watched the film and was able to have an informed opinion, but also is able to relate it to other works of a cast member or the director or perhaps has some background on the performers or directors in the film in which to base their opinions or make some comparisons. 

I like reviews that sound like they come from a real film fan--someone who is enthusiastic about films and can convey their enthusiasm about films they loved and also share their deep disappointment in films they were excited about seeing. 

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings