Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fave Mitchum Movie

Hey since it is his week, anyone want to post your favorite Robert Mitchum film and why? Any ones you have just discovered or look forward to this week? Must sees?

My favorite is Cape Fear, very dark and very sexy if you ask me. I know people have a lot to say about Mitchums' shape and drinking but I still thought he was very attractive in this film.So, which of his films are your favorite?

I'm with you vallo...Out of the Past is an awesome film and so it The Night of the Hunter. I also really like The Big Steal and Rachel and the Stranger.

Does anyone know why they're showing all the Mitchum movies in a single week instead of spread across the entire month like usual? Is it because of Halloween or something?

alonelychord, They squeezed Mitchum into one week to make way for Alfred Hitchcock ,some Val Lewton flims and Sidney Pollack as quest host.and Abbott &Costello and yes Halloween all day on the 31st.

vallo

1. Night of the Hunter

2. Cape Fear

3. Holiday Affair

Do any of you think it is creepy in Night of the Hunter, how he says "Chillllllllllldren". Very creepy. I did not find the movie that scary, but how he just says that, sends chills up my spine. It is such a brilliant movie!

shainabluegirl,

I thought I was the only one who thought Robert Mitchum was sexy in "Cape Fear!" That was the first film of his I ever saw, and after seeing "Out of the Past," "Rachel and the Stranger," "Angel Face," etc., it is still my favorite.

Carrie, aka harlow1085

I thank TCM for the week of Mitchum. I was in love with him as a child in the 50's and I guess I still am. What a wonderful trip down memory lane. One movie of his that does not appear is Not AS A Stranger with Olivia DeHavilland and Frank Sinatra. It has been a favorite for years. I have about decided it was destroyed or there are "Rights" issues. Thanks again. TCM, it was a great week.

Gosh all these movies are awesome- Rachel and the Stranger, is it me or does he usually play dark brooding bad boy characters? Always a bit lovabIe though. I love it! I know someone said that they were surprised someone else thought he was sexy in Cape Fear- I know he is the villian, but just like "Dracula" the villian sometimes IS handsome and sexy. Makes you feel a little guilty for liking him!! Haha. Great movies, all of them- he certainly deserved his week!!

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Mitchum's body of work is so extensive that it's impossible to come up with just one of his films to call my "favorite". I agree with many already posted in this thread, and a few more also come to mind.

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison

Cape Fear

Rachel & the Stranger

The Enemy Below

Home From the Hill

The Sundowner's

Night of the Hunter

The Lusty Men

The Grass is Greener

Ryan's Daughter

The Story of G.I. Joe

....are all favorites of mine. He was also excellent in two TV series: The Winds of War, and War & Remembrance.

El Dorado with John Wayne, basically a remake of Rio Bravo, but I like this version better and it is simply because of Robert Mitchum.

The Night of the Hunter, makes me shiver every time I even think about that movie... **shivers**

For Robert Mitchum's fans, I'd like to recommend a movie...which will be on TCM on Saturday November 5 at 6:15 PM, Eastern. It's "Thunder Road"...and not one of Mitchum's best movies, but not his worst, either....and certainly worth watching just to see Robert's son, James, who is cast as his younger brother in this film. James really is the "spittin' image" of his dad. Robert also sang the Title Song for this movie...another good example of his fine singing voice. ML

• 2 weeks later...

I was disappointed they didn't include NOT AS A STRANGER ('55) among the Mitchum films with that wonderful all-star cast and Bob Mitchum as the dedicated doctor who doesn't become a human being until he makes a fatal error.

Nobody seems much aware of NOT AS A STRANGER.

Olivia de Havilland, Robert Mitchum, Frank Sinatra, Gloria Grahame, Broderick Crawford, Charles Bickford, Lon Chaney, Jr., Harry Morgan, Lee Marvin and a slew of well-known character actors/actresses.

Mitchum and de Havilland had some wonderful scenes together during some heated arguments. It was Stanley Kramer's first directorial job and a big box-office success.

Neil

He was a sexy, sexy man, but I prefer my Mitchum as a decent person--not in those scary Night of the Hunter/Cape Fear roles. Even when he's kind of on the wrong side of the law as long as he's not evil, I can take it. He's just so frightening as a pure villian. Like that little blurb that Polly Bergen does when she talks about the slapping scene in Cape Fear. It truly sounds brutal. There's just some people I prefer to see as villians but not Mitch. That said, I like Thunder Road, Rachel & the Stranger, She Couldn't Say No (in which he had great chemistry with Jean Simmons), The Sundowners, Out of the Past---there's just so many I can't think of them all.