Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fave Mitchum Movie

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> I agree about the walk. But I think Denzel Washington has the second sexiest walk in show business and the close-up shot of him in "Philadelphia" when he was in the library was a Cary Grant movie star close-up shot.

>

> But back to Mitchum...

I haven't seen *Philadelphia* since it played in theaters. Gah time flies sometimes.

Well, for purposes of considering the "sexiest walk in movies" I guess we could divide it in two categories: "sexiest walk of classic movie stars" and "sexiest walk of contemporary stars". B-)

Well tonight should definitely be fun for all Mitchum fans! *The Night of the Hunter* as tonight's Essential kicks things off, then we get *Track of the Cat, The Red Pony, Man with the Gun, Thunder Road* and *Out of the Past* B-)

And to borrow a poster from Kyle:

> film_posterSept06

> Souce: IMPA

*Tonight Saturday, September 06th, 2008: THE ESSENTIALS: ROBERT MITCHUM*

*5:00pm The Night of the Hunter (1955)*

*7:00pm Track of the Cat (1954)*

*8:45pm The Red Pony (1949)*

*10:30pm Man With the Gun (1955)*

*12:00am Thunder Road (1958)*

*1:45am Out of the Past (1947)*

*All Times are (PT) Arizona TIme! Check Local Listings*

OutofthePast.jpg

I'm really glad that I got see _The Night of the Hunter_ (1955) on the big screen in July 2008 @ the UA 90th Anniversary film festival. To see it on a Tv is 1 thing but to see it on the big screen is another experience!

In his biography, Robert Mitchum stated that director Charles Laughton found the script by James Agee totally unacceptable; he paid off Agee, sent him packing and rewrote virtually the entire script himself, uncredited.

> {quote:title=TripleHHH wrote:}{quote}

> My favorites are Out of the Past, Cape Fear, His Kind of Woman, Night of the Hunter, there are others I like but to me this are my cream of the crop

Nice picks! Have you seen *The Big Steal* already? It isn't as good as *Out of the Past* but it did reunite Mitchum with Jane Greer.

• 1 month later...

Coming up next Wednesday, 10/29:

*Rachel And The Stranger* (1948) 5pm (ET)

A mail-order bride finds herself attracted to a handsome drifter.

Cast: Loretta Young, William Holden, Robert Mitchum. Dir: Norman Foster. BW-79 mins, TV-PG

*Macao* (1952) 6:30pm (ET)

A man on the run in the Far East is mistaken for an undercover cop.

Cast: Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, William Bendix. Dir: Josef von Sternberg. BW-81 mins, TV-PG

*Out of the Past* (1947) 11:45 pm (ET)

A private eye becomes the dupe of a homicidal moll.

Cast: Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas. Dir: Jacques Tourneur. BW-97 mins, TV-PG

Another Robert Mitchum movie showing on 10/29 is:

*Till The End Of Time* (1946)

A returning World War II veteran falls for a troubled war widow.

Cast: Dorothy McGuire, Guy Madison, Robert Mitchum. Dir: Edward Dmytryk. BW-105 mins, TV-G

This is actually one of the movies in this month's Martin Scorsese recommendations:

TILL THE END OF TIME (1946)

Reviewed by Martin Scorsese

This RKO film about a returning vet (Guy Madison) and the problems he faces as he adjusts to civilian life was released ahead of The Best Years of Our Lives. Ironically, it was based on a novel by Niven Busch, who was married at the time to one of that picture's co-stars, Teresa Wright. It's a much smaller film, but it deals with many of the same issues, and while it has nothing close to the emotional scope of William Wyler's film, there are several moving passages. Madison is awkward in the lead, but he's also quite touching. His relative inexperience as an actor works well in the role. There's a very powerful, wordless scene in which his parents come into his room to check on him as he sleeps. His mother (Ruth Nelson) pulls his blanket over his exposed foot. When she leaves the room, we see that his eyes are open and filled with tears, and he yanks the blanket back where it was. Dorothy McGuire is excellent as the widow of a vet who lives a carefree existence from one moment to the next. She plays with Madison, refusing to commit herself, and the way she tries to smile her way through her tragedy is quite believable. Perhaps the best scene in the picture takes place in a short-order restaurant where Madison and McGuire are having lunch. They look at the counter and notice a uniformed vet with the shakes, and they sit down on either side of him until he calms down. I like the quiet and understatement of these scenes: They're played and paced with a very light touch, without any melodramatic heightening (in fact there's a similar quality in another film directed by Edward Dmytryk that we've covered in this column, Crossfire, also made at RKO right around the same time. I must say that there's something very special about the sound of the RKO pictures during this period, which has an unusual softness that you don't hear in films from other studios). Just as in The Best Years of Our Lives, you can feel the extra effort on the part of the filmmakers to stay true to the characters, the way they hold back their feelings and keep the traumas they've suffered to themselves. There are some unsuccessful elements in the movie: Robert Mitchum is always good, but his character is a little clich?d, and the picture is resolved in a haphazard manner. All the same, Till the End of Time is worth seeking out. It's a movie with an unusual depth of feeling.

TCM 256, October 29

Guy Madison in Till the End of Time; COURTESY RKO/KOBAL COLLECTION

I watched *The Lusty Men* today and totally enjoyed it. :D

Mitchum's as good here as he ever was, and Susan Hayward has what might be (imho) one of her most appealing performances - I kinda like her being a bit more vulnerable than I was expecting. Arthur Kennedy give another great performance, starting out as a seemingly straight-arrow who's almost a little bit square, but who eventually succumbs to the temptations that come with (relatively) easy, fast money. Arthur Hunnicut was very good, as well.

Of course, the movie is quite atmospheric and nicely captures the lifestyle of the rodeo crowd. Sure, the love triangle is a bit predictable, and you might even agree with those who find the ending a bit hokey. But it's still quite an enjoyable movie, with some exciting moments (like Wes riding Yo-Yo) and some great lines. ("Men... I'd like to fry 'em all in deep fat!")

I guess you might even call *The Lusty Men* the *Casablanca* of rodeo westerns. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Coming up this Saturday at 12:30pm Eastern... B-)

*Holiday Affair* (1950)

A young widow is torn between a boring businessman and a romantic ne'er-do-well.

Cast: Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, Wendell Corey. Dir: Don Hartman. BW-87 mins, TV-G

Holiday_Affair_TC.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

> {quote:title=youngishmoviebuff wrote:}{quote}

> My favorite Robert Mitchum movie...to quote James Caan 'Ride boldly ride till you find...El Dorado'

Hi there, youngish, welcome to the forums :)

El Dorado is a pretty good western, I think Mitchum had good chemistry with Wayne. Too bad they won't be showing it on his day.

• 3 weeks later...

From one end of the spectrum to the other--"The Story of G.I.Joe" his first and only Academy Award Nomination for a beautiful performance as a battle weary soldier to "Night of the Hunter" as the crazed knife wielding preacher "Do You Know the Story of Love and Hate", only film directed by Charles Laughton.

Message was edited by: fredbaetz