Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fave Mitchum Movie

BIG BIG yes. He was one of a kind. Always had that hound dog look and he seemed to have just woke up from a nap, but he could generate real fear or heroics and he could hold his own in comedy. Loved him with his favorite co star Deborah Kerr in all 3 of their films and the TV movie they did. Story has it that when he started "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison" he was worried that Kerr was to prim and proper for that kind of role.But when started swearing at Director John Huston like a sailor, Mitchum, who was in the water almost drown laughing. They remained friends until his death.

Jimmy, the young mute boy lies to Ann because he knew it was the best thing for her to believe that Jeff love Kathie. That made it easier for her in the long run to let go of his memory and start a new life.Story has it that Bogart read the script and was interested in playing Jeff, it reminded him in ways of "The Maltese Falcon" but Warners didn't buy the script and RKO did. Taylor Hackfords remake "Against All Odds" just didn't cut it. I don't think it was bad, but it didn't have the punch of the original....

"Night of the Hunter" was one of his personal favorites I was told - one of mine too. But he outdid himself in "Farewell My Lovely", a remake that was far supeior to the original, titles "Farewell My Sweet". Also thought he was enjoyable, albeit somewhat bored, in the TV movie WAR & REMEMBRANCE.

The original was "Murder My Sweet" not "Farewell My Sweet" with Dick Powell and Clair Trevor and Mike Mazurki. As good as the Mitchum one is and it is a dandy, to me the definitive version is "Murder.My Sweet". It was one of the first film noir movies which came out in 1944, along with "Laura" and "Double Indemnity", that was a very good year. Powell was great as the weary Marlow as was Mitchum, but Robert was getting on up there, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the Mitchum version,not "The Big Sleep" version. That was pure KA KA. If you was great Mitchum and terrific film noir watch "Out of the Past", and a great film noir western "Blood on the Moon". Try "Story of G.I. Joe", his only Oscar nomination.One of my all time Robert Mitchum films is "Heaven Knows, Mr Allison"

'

Message was edited by: fredbaetz

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=filmguy24 wrote:}{quote}

> This too is a difficult choice, what with so many powerful films- like Night of the Hunter and the Legend of GI Joe, but for me, my favorite is Out of the Past, which I find to be one of the all time top film noir.

I also think it's one of the best noirs ever.

And speaking of Mitchum, don't forget Thunder Road will be on TCM tomorrow at 7:45am ET:

*Thunder Road* (1958)

A fast-driving moonshiner locks horns with a Chicago gangster.

Cast: Robert Mitchum, Gene Barry, Jacques Aubochon, Keely Smith Dir: Arthur Ripley BW-93 mins, TV-PG

Followed by two other Mitchum movies:

*Young Billy Young* (1969)

A mysterious stranger bent on revenge helps out a young gunfighter.

Cast: Robert Mitchum, Angie Dickinson, Robert Walker Jr., David Carradine Dir: Burt Kennedy C-89 mins, TV-PG

*Home From The Hill* (1960)

A southern landowner's family is torn apart by the revelation that he has an illegitimate son.

Cast: Robert Mitchum, Eleanor Parker, George Peppard, George Hamilton Dir: Vincente Minnelli C-150 mins, TV-PG

• 2 weeks later...

One of Mitchum's most criminally underrated performances is in the film Undercurrent, being shown today on TCM at 2pm ET:

*Undercurrent* (1946)

A sheltered woman realizes that either her husband or his mysterious brother is a psychopath.

Cast: Katharine Hepburn, Robert Taylor, Robert Mitchum, Edmund Gwenn Dir: Vincente Minnelli BW-116 mins, TV-PG

• 4 weeks later...

Tuesday, November 3rd. I have 11 hours scheduled for recording! Starting with Badlands, and then Robert Mitchum. I used to have Rachel and the Stranger on tape, and it seems like I've seen The Lusty Men, though according to my records I haven't. I'm thinking Home from the Hill is a movie I saw years ago that has stayed in memory. And I'm curious about Wrath of God.

I have many Mitchum movies, so it's a real treat to see this line-up of Movies that I don't have, and to have them in the daytime is great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another great Mitchum movie (and a wonderful film for the holidays) is going to be shown on TCM this Saturday:

*Holiday Affair* (1950) 1:45pm ET

A young widow is torn between a boring businessman and a romantic ne'er-do-well.

Cast: Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, Wendell Corey, Gordon Gebert Dir: Don Hartman BW-87 mins, TV-G

Holly, Mitchum's Max Cady in CAPE FEAR is, perhaps, the scariest thing he's ever done. Great ensemble cast:Peck, Balsam,Savalas,Polly Bergen. Small picture, small budget. Great director,J.Lee Thompson. Fantastic score by Bernard Herrman and editing by George Tomasini. Could easily have been a Hitchcock film! Had he directed it, it would have made a great companion piece to PSYCHO. Maybe it is. Try reading the John D.MacDonald novel, THE EXECUTIONERS, from which the film script is derived.

A close second in sheer fright is Charles Laughton's NIGHT OF THE HUNTER. Mitchum's bogus minister is maginificently sinister! Best, Bruce.

I agree with you FG, OUT OF THE PAST is top-notch, A-one film noir.Great script, great cast, great photography. Would be nice if TCM would air it sometime, preferably soon. I think it's a rather neglected film, which should be shown more often. Best, Bruce.

> {quote:title=BruceGhent wrote:}{quote}

> I agree with you FG, OUT OF THE PAST is top-notch, A-one film noir.Great script, great cast, great photography. Would be nice if TCM would air it sometime, preferably soon. I think it's a rather neglected film, which should be shown more often. Best, Bruce.

Has it been very long since they last showed it? I can't remember.

But, yes, it's one of the all-time classics, they should show it now and then. Maybe they'll consider it for the next season of "The Essentials". I'd really like to hear Alec Baldwin's opinion of it.

MItchum being one of my favorite actors, perhaps my very favorite, I just read this whole thread, from 2006, to now. It took three years for someone (Fred) to mention one of my favorite Mitchum films, the film noir western, Blood On The Moon! But, Mitchum's other great film noir western has not yet been mentioned. It is Pursued.. It is a child's recurring nightmare, half forgotten, but still present in the man... then it comes to life! Psychological, existential, mysterious, and almost never shown! I don't think TCM has it. I wish they did!

I will admit that as much as I love the films I just mentioned, probably his best films are Out Of The Past, and Night Of The Hunter, both of which I like a lot. I probably never saw a Mitchum film I didn't like, at least a bit. What I like least is the remake of The Big Sleep. The Bogart version is my favorite Bogart film.