Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fave Mitchum Movie

I don't. I like Cape Fear, and much prefer it to the remake. Also, I suspect that climactic boat scene was difficult to pull off as well as they did. But, I'd place Cape Fear more on the level of Thunder Road, which actually appeals to me more, even if it isn't necessarily better. To me, when you compare Night of the Hunter to Cape Fear, it isn't a close contest. I'd add Pursued to OOTP and NOTH, and say they are his three great films. There are many others I enjoy, as much, or even more, like His Kind Of Woman, but it isn't really in the same ballpark.

IMO, Mitchum wasn't offered the greatest rolls. I don't know if that was because of his pot arrest, the disdain he had for Hollywood and "stardom/acting/pretension," or what. Most of his pictures were B pictures, or war pictures, and later in his life, epic war pictures. Those can be enjoyable, and even make a good career, but aren't usually the most demanding. Of course he always did a good job, and lent a lot to whatever film he was in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, now that I've finally watched The List of Adrian Messenger, I may have another movie to add to my list of favorite Mitchum movies.

And TCM will be showing one of the better ones from late in his career as part of tonight's line-up:

*The Friends Of Eddie Coyle* (1973) 12:45am ET

An aging hood turns police informer, with deadly results.

Cast: Robert Mitchum, Richard Jordan, Steven Keats, Peter Boyle Dir: Peter Yates C-102 mins, TV-14

Adding my two cents, my personal favorites are Thunder Road and Heaven Knows Mister Allison. Thunder Road was one of the first movies of his I ever saw and had a personal attachment to me, growing up in and near the roads and towns where the events (supposedly) happened. Mister Allison is simply great if for nothing else, the writing and the interaction between Mitchum and Kerr.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up at 11:30am ET - one of Mitchum's earliest performances:

*The Story of G.I. Joe* (1945)

War correspondent Ernie Pyle joins an Army platoon during World War II to learn what battle is really about.

Cast: Burgess Meredith, Robert Mitchum, Freddie Steele, Wally Cassell Dir: William A. Wellman BW-108 mins, TV-14

• 4 weeks later...

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER -- supposedly, it was a box office flop, which is why Charles Laughton never got another directing assignment. But it's visually breathtaking, and, of course, a great performance by Mitchum.

CAPE FEAR -- as much as I admire Robert DeNiro's acting, I think he blew it in the remake -- he tore a passion to tatters. Mitchum is terrifying because he never raises his voice.

• 1 month later...

My fave Mitchum movies would be His Kind of Women and Angel Face but there are so many of his movies I like.

Thunder Road is interesting (and there is some great 'down home' guitar playing in it!), and his role in Heavens Knows was different for him and touching. I'll admit to liking his noir movies most but he had a lot more range than he often gets credit for.

Thank you for turning me on to The Big Steal which is totally unknown to me. I had no idea the Mitchum-Greer team had another go-around and will watch for it. Out of the Past is my favorite Film Noir movie.

My favorite Mitchum films are Past, Thunder Road, and Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison. I am a Catholic and can't imagine anyone but him tempting a nun to leave the life, especially the manly but tender Marine he played. God won, but just barely. When Richard Burton and Joan Collins did the dance in Sea Wife, it was no comparison. Mitchum got shafted by the Academy; he deserved a nomination as much as Ms. Kerr did.

In Past and Thunder Road, a love of decency and honor is present even when his characters arn't able to transfer it to themselves. They make certain the people they care about are able to make that choice even at the cost of his life. Since Jeff is innocent in Past but dies anyway, that is the only thing that makes the ending bearable.

As he had one wife for 50 odd years, I can only assume that some of this wasn't just acting. When TCM ran the interview with Jane Russell and him the affection they had for each other was obvious. Even in something as contrived as River of No Return's "wrestling match love scene" he makes you keep watching. And I love the end of Young Billy Young; when he tells that sanctimonious biddy "No, Ma'am, I guess you haven't" boy, is that her loss.

My all-time favorite: Jeff Markham/Bailey of Past. I can't help it either but, unlike Kathie Moffatt, I mean it.

In Out of The Past did Jeff really help Greer run away from Douglas because he felt Douglas would harm her, or only because he was in love with her? It is clearly because he fell in love with her and thus he is cheating Douglas with is a decent thing to do since he was hired to do a job and took said job. Of course Jeff didn't know she stole the money but once he did he should of made Greer return the money. Instead he just leaves her. Thus while Jeff is basically good he isn't inocent either and this is why he meets his doom. All of this fits the noir pattern; he had unclean hands and must meet his fate.

I think Jeff felt she was in danger, but probably his main motivation was that he was smitten (appropriate!) by Cathy.

Mitchum fans should not miss *Blood on the Moon*, coming up on Monday morning. It is a fine film noir western, with a great cast. Directed by Robert Wise, from a Luke Short novel. The opening is so great - so different from most westerns, the opposite of open spaces, blue skies, etc.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Mitchum fans should not miss *Blood on the Moon*, coming up on Monday morning. It is a fine film noir western, with a great cast.

Thanks for the reminder, ValentineXavier, I watched that a long time ago, also on TCM, but I really would like to watch it again.

I read something funny about Mitchum in this Sunday's letters to Mick LaSalle:

*Dear Mr. LaSalle*: What's your opinion of Robert Mitchum as an actor?

-Reader, San Bruno

*Dear Reader*: He was great, the best Robert Mitchum-type actor who ever lived. Maybe the only one.

Hey, if I was Jeff I would of done the same! Cathy Greer was something in that role.

Thanks for the movie tip. This is a Mitchum movie I haven't seen but one I have wanted to see for a long time. My film noir book mentions this movie as a good example of a cross genre type movie. I always find these interestings.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> *Dear Reader*: He was great, the best Robert Mitchum-type actor who ever lived. Maybe the only one.

Ooh! That's good! Reminds me of what they used to say about Who drummer Keith Moon.

• 3 months later...

Well, he made several outstanding films, but these two are my absolute favorites: Out of the past and Cape fear. Forget the remake of the latter and the performance of Robert DeNIro. It doesn't hold a candle against the original Cape Fear. Well, I think it is watchable and not badly done, but the tension and suspense in the original is superior. And the acting of Mitchum is just top notch, realy frightning.

Erniekelly wrote:

*Well, he made several outstanding films, but these two are my absolute favorites: Out of the past and Cape fear. Forget the remake of the latter and the performance of Robert DeNIro. It doesn't hold a candle against the original Cape Fear. Well, I think it is watchable and not badly done, but the tension and suspense in the original is superior. And the acting of Mitchum is just top notch, realy frightning.*

So that means you approve of the remake of the former, 1984's AGAINST ALL ODDS?

I can't agree with you regarding the Out of the Past "remake", Against All Odds. It's quite a different movie from the original. The cast is great; Jeff Bridges, James Woods, Richard Widmark, and a chance to see how Jane Griever aged out so gracefully. The theme is one of the great 80's tunes and Phil Collins's best. You get to cook up your own ending as well as Rachel Ward lives through this one and whether they ever get back together is up to your imagination. Nothing beats Mitchum, Greer, Fleming and the gang but standing alone both are good.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Jul 23, 2010 10:24 PM

*Out of the Past, Pursued, Night of the Hunter*.

Robert Mitchum is one of my favourite actors, ever, in any genre, any film era. I love the way he underplays his characters. Nobody exudes cool like Mitch does. And he's got such a great face.

I'd watch anything Robert Mitchum is in, good, bad , or mediocre. He always makes whatever movie he's in better.