Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heads Up About TCM Programming Challenge #30

lydecker

The new challenge will be announced Sunday, September 6 at Noon.

So, you've got just 3 weeks to lounge around, enjoy the last days of summer

and get ready to create a super scintillating week of TCM Programming for the

next challenge.

That's all folks.

Lydecker

• Like 2

I have a suggestion that no one will like: perhaps consider not posting any votes until the "polling places" are closed. I find that disconcerting. But I'm probably the only one who does! (For some reason, more and more voters tend to vote privately anyhow, which would make that possible.)

I have a suggestion that no one will like: perhaps consider not posting any votes until the "polling places" are closed. I find that disconcerting. But I'm probably the only one who does! (For some reason, more and more voters tend to vote privately anyhow, which would make that possible.)

I'm hoping that we'll see a lot more commenting about folks' schedules this time around, even if people do vote privately. Countess DeLave always writes a very detailed post about what she likes in each schedule during "the voting phase" and I'd like to see more of that at the end of Challenge #30.  Everyone works very, very hard on their schedules and a public shout out (not just about the schedule you ultimately vote for but about ALL of the schedules because there is always a lot to like in every schedule) would be very welcome by all of the participants, I'm sure. I'm not against private voting (which has become more prevalent recently than it was a few years ago) but I'd love to see some posts at the end of the challenge (particularly by the participants) telling everyone what they found special in each schedule. 

Not telling us the votes til the end might be fun--I do sometimes vote for someone who has less votes simply as a tie breaker, so it might be a real test of who actually won if we had no idea. And I don't think that would discourage the public shout outs (I like to do that as they're posted to pace myself). Whatever you think, lydecker :)

Well, I've got to say I was major league surprised when I won Challenge #29 since I was pretty far behind in the vote tally at the time I checked on it the the day before voting closed. When Speedracer5 announced that I had won I pretty much fell off my chair. So, you never know.  I could go either way about posting an "on-going vote tally" or only announcing the vote at the end.  I think it's fun to see "how it's going" as the voting week progresses but some folks might decide not to vote for a schedule they really liked if they thought that person didn't have a chance to win.  It's never influenced my vote  --  If I like a schedule, I vote for it, regardless, but maybe others are influenced by who is "ahead." 

But, I really think that participants receiving positive comments about their schedules either during or at the end of the challenge is very important.  I think those comments especially encourage newer challenge participants to "try again" to create the next schedule and the next.  Once people started voting privately, a lot of those comments went unsaid so I hope this time around everyone will share what they like about the the Challenge #30 schedules.

Well, I've got to say I was major league surprised when I won Challenge #29 since I was pretty far behind in the vote tally at the time I checked on it the the day before voting closed. When Speedracer5 announced that I had won I pretty much fell off my chair. So, you never know.  I could go either way about posting an "on-going vote tally" or only announcing the vote at the end.  I think it's fun to see "how it's going" as the voting week progresses but some folks might decide not to vote for a schedule they really liked if they thought that person didn't have a chance to win.  It's never influenced my vote  --  If I like a schedule, I vote for it, regardless, but maybe others are influenced by who is "ahead." 

But, I really think that participants receiving positive comments about their schedules either during or at the end of the challenge is very important.  I think those comments especially encourage newer challenge participants to "try again" to create the next schedule and the next.  Once people started voting privately, a lot of those comments went unsaid so I hope this time around everyone will share what they like about the the Challenge #30 schedules.

I had more votes that were PM'd to me than were posted in the thread. 

I could go either way with the vote thing too, I like both ideas, it doesn't really matter to me.

I do like your idea about people posting feedback on the schedules.  I think it's nice to acknowledge people's ideas and creativity.  I don't think we need to have criticism (that seems unnecessary in this type of competition) but I do think it's nice to read what people liked about people's schedules. 

I love reading the other schedules, it gives me ideas on movies and people to look out for in the TCM schedules!

• Like 1

When I ran the Challenge -- seems like such a long time ago -- most of the votes were cast publicly, in the thread. But recently, the majority seem to have been cast privately. Since that seems to be the trend, I think it would be nice -- and in a certain way cleaner -- to have everyone PM their votes, and have the total announced on "Election Day."

That doesn't preclude people posting their reviews. I would actually like to see a separate thread for that, as those remarks take up a lot of space and get in the way of reading all the schedules, before the final voting thread with all the schedules is posted.

And I know this is supposed to be fun, which it is, but those remarks tend to be of a sameness -- "oh how wonderful it all is...," so I'm not as much of a fan of them as others are.  But I'm sure I'm in the minority in that regard!

• Like 1

When I ran the Challenge -- seems like such a long time ago -- most of the votes were cast publicly, in the thread. But recently, the majority seem to have been cast privately. Since that seems to be the trend, I think it would be nice -- and in a certain way cleaner -- to have everyone PM their votes, and have the total announced on "Election Day."

That doesn't preclude people posting their reviews. I would actually like to see a separate thread for that, as those remarks take up a lot of space and get in the way of reading all the schedules, before the final voting thread with all the schedules is posted.

And I know this is supposed to be fun, which it is, but those remarks tend to be of a sameness -- "oh how wonderful it all is...," so I'm not as much of a fan of them as others are.  But I'm sure I'm in the minority in that regard!

I agree that boilerplate "how wonderful all the schedules are" comments are pretty useless which is why I did mention Countess DeLave's more detailed (but generally positive) reviews at the end of a challenge. Posting a separate thread for comments is a great idea  --  The voting thread is already crowded with content (all of the schedules) so even posting a vote or comment can be a challenge (no pun intended) on that thread.  

Is there a post in an old thread somewhere that would give one some tips as to how these challenges are put together and what is expected of one who enters?

Check out this link on the TCM Message Boards  --  http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/forum/138-tcm-program-challenges-archive/ You will find lots of old challenges and schedules.  Also, every new Challenge posts the rules and regs for the specific Challenge and lets you know about the rules which have applied to previous challenges.  We'd be thrilled if you would like to participate in the upcoming challenge.

I would actually like to see a separate thread for that, as those remarks take up a lot of space and get in the way of reading all the schedules, before the final voting thread with all the schedules is posted.

I believe that remarks in original thread are very important because pages with long posts only load slowly and have many more problems loading than do pages with mixture of long and short posts. This was in particular true of the old software but I have found that this software has similar issues. This effect was reason why I divided general rules, source information, and specific requirements into separate posts at beginning of thread. 

I am in particular guilty of automatic, stock phrases to praise schedules when I am host of a Challenge. I do this consciously because I feel it would be inappropriate to gush expansively re: one schedule and then say very little of some other schedule which may be wonderful but is not in accord with my personal taste. I do not wish to have appearance of favoritism when most votes are now by Private Message. 

I am guilty of using such stock phrases at other times because I would have to be creative to find superlatives specifically applicable to some schedules and I feel that Challenge should concern creativity in schedules and not be overshadowed by creativity in comments.

I am in particular guilty of automatic, stock phrases to praise schedules when I am host of a Challenge. I do this consciously because I feel it would be inappropriate to gush expansively re: one schedule and then say very little of some other schedule which may be wonderful but is not in accord with my personal taste. I do not wish to have appearance of favoritism when most votes are now by Private Message. 

I am guilty of using such stock phrases at other times because I would have to be creative to find superlatives specifically applicable to some schedules and I feel that Challenge should concern creativity in schedules and not be overshadowed by creativity in comments.

I wasn't suggesting that the host of the Challenge "gush expansively" about one schedule and say little about another.  My request for comments (positive ones!) about schedules was directed primarily at participants in the Challenge and secondarily to folks who cast votes but do not create schedules.  The Challenge Host should be positive but neutral (obviously) but all of the private voting which has come about recently has caused an absence of comments to challenge participants.  I think everyone who takes the time to create a schedule deserves to hear what folks liked about their schedules. The remarks don't have to be particularly "creative"   -- It doesn't take a lot of creativity to say:  "I really liked your SOTM selection" or "I thought highlighting films starring lady cowboys was fun, etc. etc."  Until very recently, folks used to vote publicly and generally posted what they liked about the schedule they had voted for as well as some of the other schedules.  I'm sure everybody likes to hear that their hard work has been appreciated.

Check out this link on the TCM Message Boards  --  http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/forum/138-tcm-program-challenges-archive/ You will find lots of old challenges and schedules.  Also, every new Challenge posts the rules and regs for the specific Challenge and lets you know about the rules which have applied to previous challenges.  We'd be thrilled if you would like to participate in the upcoming challenge.

Thanks Lydecker.  But judging by the excellent past responses to the challenges it is a bit more complicated than

Frankenstein, followed by

The Bride of Frankenstein, followed by

The Son of Frankenstein,

isn't it?  ;)

Thanks Lydecker.  But judging by the excellent past responses to the challenges it is a bit more complicated than

Frankenstein, followed by

The Bride of Frankenstein, followed by

The Son of Frankenstein,

isn't it?  ;)

Well, I'd have to say "yes" but we've seen some amazing "first schedules." I think you learn as you go.  My first schedule was just a compilation of salutes to the genres, actors, studios and behind the scenes people I loved. A good way to get your feet wet, so to speak.  And, while the "timing" can seem daunting there is this wonderful tool which Speedracer5 introduced some of us to a couple of schedules ago which will automatically calculate the time from film to film.  That little tool changed my life and made the schedules a lot easier to do since math was never my strong suit!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings