Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Johnny Carson is back on TV in 2016 !

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/johnny-carson-tonight-show-full-episodes-antenna-tv-1201568250/

Tribune Media’s Antenna TV, the multicast digital channel devoted to vintage television shows, will run full-length episodes of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” nightly at 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT starting Jan. 1, 2016.

Antenna TV has struck a multi-year deal with Carson Entertainment Group to license hundreds of hours of the NBC late-night institution. Antenna will run episodes that aired from 1972 through the end of Carson’s 30-year reign in in 1992. Because NBC owns the rights to “The Tonight Show” moniker, Antenna TV’s episodes will be billed simply as “Johnny Carson.”

Besides being aired locally on over-the-air digital sub-channels, Antenna TV can be seen and watched on:

1. Time Warner Cable, included in the Starter TV Package

2. Comcast, included in the Limited Basic Package

3. Verizon TV, included with the Custom TV Package

4. Cox TV, included with the TV Starter Package

At this time, Antenna TV is not available on Dish, Direc TV, or ATT U-Verse...
  • Like 4
That's terrific! I get Antenna TV on digital channel 10-2 (Bright House). I've had insomnia since Johnny retired. Now... NOW maybe I can get some sleep.

:D

The only problem I will have is a scheduling conflict with MeTv's Perry Mason at 11:30 PM to 12:30 AM. Oy.. well, I'll take what I can get.

From 1972, ya say?

Well, when did Johnny's "Tonight" show move from New York to LA, and shorten down from 90 minutes to an hour?

Must have been about '72, 'cause most of them channels probably wouldn't set aside 90 minutes for an old TV show.  They're all attuned for an hour an episode, max.

Sepiatone

After my Dad died, my mother had great difficulty getting to sleep at night for a long time. She started to watch the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, and I stayed up with her. We would eventually become Carson fanatics, never wanting to miss any of the shows he was on. The man was a genius.

However, it was about three or four months or so after Dad passed that I heard my Mom have the first truly big belly laugh since his death. It was over something that Johnny either did or said (I forget which).

I recall going into another part of the house and weeping for joy over the sound of my mother's genuine laughter. I was afraid I'd never hear her laugh again. After that it started to become a little easier for her to laugh about things.

I always felt like I owed a debt to Johnny Carson. If I had ever met him, I would have sincerely thanked him for helping my mother (and me) get through that terrible, dark period in our lives.

• Like 5

Ah man.  I would love to watch this, but I have Dish :(

I wish that Dish would figure out how to carry both ME-TV and Antenna TV.  

::Sigh::

The cons of having satellite.  It's so much cheaper than Comcast (or Xfinity or whatever they're calling themselves these days).  

I love the Johnny Carson interviews when TCM shows them.  They're so much fun.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

From 1972, ya say?

Well, when did Johnny's "Tonight" show move from New York to LA, and shorten down from 90 minutes to an hour?

Must have been about '72, 'cause most of them channels probably wouldn't set aside 90 minutes for an old TV show.  They're all attuned for an hour an episode, max.

Sepiatone

According to wiki, production moved to Burbank in May 1972, and went to the 60 minute format in September 1980.

I'm looking forward to the broadcasts. It will be interesting to see how well the humor has held up since the 70s.

Ah man.  I would love to watch this, but I have Dish :(

I wish that Dish would figure out how to carry both ME-TV and Antenna TV.  

::Sigh::

The cons of having satellite.  It's so much cheaper than Comcast (or Xfinity or whatever they're calling themselves these days).  

I love the Johnny Carson interviews when TCM shows them.  They're so much fun.

May a diseased yak squat in dish network's lobby

According to wiki, production moved to Burbank in May 1972, and went to the 60 minute format in September 1980.

I'm looking forward to the broadcasts. It will be interesting to see how well the humor has held up since the 70s.

Probably reasonably well, rhinoceros breath.

• 3 months later...