Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

why 4:3 on TCMHD

Technicolor33

This always bugs me. Why are movies from the 30s and 40s shown in 4:3 on TCMHD while on the standard Definition channel , it's 16:9.

And why are widescreen movies shown zoomed in with the bars cropped off ? This thing bugs the hell out of me. Why can't everything be shown the right way !! ? :angry: I hate it !

This always bugs me. Why are movies from the 30s and 40s shown in 4:3 on TCMHD while on the standard Definition channel , it's 16:9.

And why are widescreen movies shown zoomed in with the bars cropped off ? This thing bugs the hell out of me. Why can't everything be shown the right way !! ? :angry: I hate it !

Well, it might be your monitor's setting, however, 16:9 would be absolutely incorrect for movies from the 30s and 40s.  4:3 is more appropriate.  Movies post 1953, would easily be 16:9, unless they are from the scope family or Todd-AO, or other super-wide format.  Then, you should see black bars.  Is there a film, in particular you are referring to, when you expected to see black bars?

Well, it might be your monitor's setting, however, 16:9 would be absolutely incorrect for movies from the 30s and 40s.  4:3 is more appropriate.  Movies post 1953, would easily be 16:9, unless they are from the scope family or Todd-AO, or other super-wide format.  Then, you should see black bars.  Is there a film, in particular you are referring to, when you expected to see black bars?

Exactly John. Gotta say I'm a little vague on the OP's complaint here myself.

I DO know however that as far as MY cable TV setup is concerned and on which I also have both TCM on channels of  standard low-def and high-def, I can adjust the picture size/aspect ratio ONLY on the low-def channel and not on the high-def channel. And, I have noticed on a few occasions and for some reason the high-def channel will present widescreen format films made after 1953 with bars around all sides of the picture, and so when that happens I'll switch to the low-def channel and hit the zoom button in order to fill up the entire screen.

Well, as long as doing THAT doesn't zoom in TOO much and subsequently cut off the edges of the picture on any of the sides, anyway..

(...and btw, I NEVER adjust the aspect ratio of ANY movie solely in order to fill the screen entirely, as doing THAT makes for one odd viewing experience...the actors look a whole lot fatter than they actually are in those old flicks if ya do THAT, ya know!) ;)

If you watch THE MALTESE FALCON so it fills a 16x9 screen, then Peter Lorre is going to look more like he did in THE RAVEN!!!

It won't be long before the tweens get into power, take control and start cropping old tv series and 1:33 feature films so that they fill the screen for antsy viewers.  I think they're already doing it with early episodes of series like LAW & ORDER.

Another reason why I'm hanging onto my sprockets!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings