Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Romantic movie "happy endings" that made you want to scream

Has there ever been a romantic movie with a happy ending whose ending made you want to scream?  Either the wrong couple got together, or the couple who one was supposed to admire left you could, or you thought the unsuccessful suitor was treated unjustly.

• Like 1

YES this comes up all the time in my household.

The one that comes to mind first is CLASH BY NIGHT. When I showed that to MrT he was SO ANGRY at the husband Paul Douglas played taking back the Stanwyck charactor, he left in a huff to go for a walk!

The first few viewings of THE FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS, I had a hard time with Susan Koener getting the trumpet player-after all- the Natalie Wood charactor grew up with him, understood him, etc. But in subsequent viewings, I much prefer the way it was made. It makes much more sense and is vastly more interesting to me the way it is.

Whenever a gal in a screwball comedy chooses the "fun" guy over the "stable" guy, I know it's just a movie.

• Like 1

The movie "Suspicion" (1941)--I don't CARE if Joan Fontaine won an Oscar. when her husband Johnny (Cary Grant) takes them on that climactic wild car ride, I want them to carreen off a cliff--they've already destroyed the books' ending (Before the Fact, by Francis Iles).  Joan finally stops him, and there are so many insincere "Darlings" & "I love yous" it makes me want to scream & throw a book or two at the wall!!!

• Like 3

Has there ever been a romantic movie with a happy ending whose ending made you want to scream?  Either the wrong couple got together, or the couple who one was supposed to admire left you could, or you thought the unsuccessful suitor was treated unjustly.

Good question. Besides Love Story, the most disgustingly nauseating 'romantic' movie in history, one of the films that I love to hate is I Married A Doctor. Even though Pat O'Brien, no stretch, given his other roles, is a misogynist and a narcissist and a chauvinist, his little wifey still rides off into the sunset with him, bowing and scraping and obeying.

Man, I hate that movie. :angry:

• Like 1

"Sweet November" (1968)--the film made me want to throw up.  I hear the remake is even worse.

"Joanna" (1968)--ditto.  Director Michael Sarnes' next film was "Myra Breckinridge" (1970).

"My Fair Lady" (1964)--Film ends with Eliza fetching Professor Higgins' slippers--So romantic (Not!)

"Moment By Moment" (1978)--"Strip" (character's name--seriously), "Trish", "Strip", "Trish--GAG

Awww...poor Ralph Bellamy. Whatever became of the guy anyway?!

(...oh, that's right...he'd start sportin' one of long cigarette holders, a pair of specs and leg braces...good career move there, Ralph!)

I didn't quite want to scream, but SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK didn't have what I consider a happy romantic ending. In effect: "I'm a dysfunctional jerk on psychotropic meds, you're a dysfunctional jerk on psychotropic meds--darling, we belong together!" Well, the characters do sorta belong together, but I would want to stay far, far away from both of them.

The ending of MY FAVORITE WIFE rubs me the wrong way. Having behaved like an idiot the whole movie, not telling her children she's their mother, Irene Dunne then decides she needs to punish Cary Grant for his behavior (and he's behaved pretty much like a normal human being) and keeps rejecting him until, by the time of the "happy ending," I'm convinced Grant isn't much better off with her than with Gail Patrick.

Good topic, Slayton. We can probably come up with quite a few examples.

• Like 1

This is me after watching some romance movies...

(yep, literally bores me to death)

df7599c2fe8b45b6d2f0e3367252cdbe.jpg

Okay then ham ol'boy, then I've got three questions for ya here:

First, I had NO idea that crazy Charlie was such a big idol for ya.

Secondly, isn't that there chain link fence headboard kind'a tacky?

Thirdly, your brunette girlfriend or wife there is suuuure mighty cute!!!

(...okay...I guess these were really more two comments and one question here, weren't they) ;)

I didn't quite want to scream, but SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK didn't have what I consider a happy romantic ending. In effect: "I'm a dysfunctional jerk on psychotropic meds, you're a dysfunctional jerk on psychotropic meds--darling, we belong together!" Well, the characters do sorta belong together, but I would want to stay far, far away from both of them.

The ending of MY FAVORITE WIFE rubs me the wrong way. Having behaved like an idiot the whole movie, not telling her children she's their mother, Irene Dunne then decides she needs to punish Cary Grant for his behavior (and he's behaved pretty much like a normal human being) and keeps rejecting him until, by the time of the "happy ending," I'm convinced Grant isn't much better off with her than with Gail Patrick.

Good topic, Slayton. We can probably come up with quite a few examples.

Yes also to Silver Linings Playbook, blech.

The Notebook made me gag.

The movie "Suspicion" (1941)--I don't CARE if Joan Fontaine won an Oscar. when her husband Johnny (Cary Grant) takes them on that climactic wild car ride, I want them to carreen off a cliff--they've already destroyed the books' ending (Before the Fact, by Francis Iles).  Joan finally stops him, and there are so many insincere "Darlings" & "I love yous" it makes me want to scream & throw a book or two at the wall!!!

You beat me to it.  I loathe the absurd ending of Suspicion.  I believe, in the original script, Johnny was, of course, a murderer and eventually does away with the wife.  Too bad they didn't stick with the original script.  Killing off that whiny wife would be a favor to all of us.

Lydecker

• Like 3

You beat me to it.  I loathe the absurd ending of Suspicion.  I believe, in the original script, Johnny was, of course, a murderer and eventually does away with the wife.  Too bad they didn't stick with the original script.  Killing off that whiny wife would be a favor to all of us.

Lydecker

Yep, all pretty much true here, guys. BUT, didn't skimpole ask us about "romantic-comedies" in his thread here? And so, how did Hitch's suspense film happen to get mentioned here?

Ah, but SPEAKING of Hitchcock...how about the one romantic-comedy he DID direct, and what a misfire MR. & MRS. SMITH turned out to be.

(...well, I've always thought so anyway, and from what I understand, I'm not alone in this opinion)

• Like 1

Yep, all pretty much true here, guys. BUT, didn't skimpole ask us about "romantic-comedies" in his thread here? And so, how did Hitch's suspense film happen to get mentioned here?

You got me there, Dargo.  Of course, perhaps some of us just needed an excuse to vent about Suspicion . . . 

• Like 1

You got me there, Dargo.  Of course, perhaps some of us just needed an excuse to vent about Suspicion . . . 

Well, I DID kind'a..ahem..suspect that, lydecker. ;)

Although, now that I've re-read skimpole's OP, I now have to admit that he never actually mentioned anything about or limited the discussion to just romantic "comedies", and so just forget what I said here.

(...well, except that thing I said about MR. & MRS. SMITH being a misfire, anyway...OH, and that earlier joke of mine about Ralph Bellamy, of course) ;)

• Like 1

OK.  Now that I have had a chance to trash Suspicion (Wow, that felt good!) I've got another one  --

Sabrina.  Does anyone in their right mind believe that luscious Audrey Hepburn would prefer Bogie

(way past his sexy prime) to William Holden????

• Like 2

OK.  Now that I have had a chance to trash Suspicion (Wow, that felt good!) I've got another one  --

Sabrina.  Does anyone in their right mind believe that luscious Audrey Hepburn would prefer Bogie

Okay lydecker, then in THAT case, it's MY turn to "rant" and once again tell the nice folks around here that ROBERT TAYLOR would have made the perfect Linus in THAT flick! ;)

• Like 2

Okay lydecker, then in THAT case, it's MY turn to once again "rant" and tell the nice folks around here that ROBERT TAYLOR would have made the perfect Linus in THAT flick! ;)

With or without his security blanket????

With or without his security blanket????

You mean the one Babs tucked Spangler in at night with???

(...sorry, don't catch the reference here, but I am dyin' to know)

Linus...blanket?

Linus-and-blanket.jpg

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about MY FAVORITE WIFE's ending either.

Killing off that whiny wife would be a favor to all of us.

That sentence comes off hilarious considering your avatar. Who else hates wimmen? Monty Woolley.

But yeah, I hate movies that feature a boy simpering after some girl who treats him indifferently. STRAWBERRY BLONDE comes to mind. At least in THE LADY EVE, the gal gives him a sporting chance.

Money talks, bull**** walks.

• Like 1

Linus...blanket?

Linus-and-blanket.jpg

In the immortal words of another famous cartoon character..."DOH!"

Of course, THAT "Linus"!

(...thanks Tiki...ya know, sometimes I really AM a little slow on the ol' uptake, ain't I?!) ;)

Killing off that whiny wife would be a favor to all of us.

That sentence comes off hilarious considering your avatar. 

Yep.  You remember what Lydecker tried to do to Laura TWICE in the name of "undying love."

In the immortal words of another famous cartoon character..."DOH!"

Of course, THAT "Linus"!

(...thanks Tiki...ya know, sometimes I really AM a little slow on the ol' uptake, ain't I?!) ;)

Next you're going to tell us you never even saw A Charlie Brown Christmas.