Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Reminders...going, going...gone?

allthumbs

i have noticed that requests for TCM reminders via email have become fewer and fewer lately. anything requested since early/mid Aug seems to be ignored/lost in cyberspace. the only ones i receive were requested months ago when the schedule was first published.

or am i the only one with this kind of trouble?

i went so far as to request every movie on Mon and Tues and see what would happen. i got no notifications for them, i did receive a notification this morning for The Painted Veil which is airing on Wed during Garbo day. however, i made that request months ago. anything requested lately is a no-go.

any help will be appreciated!

i have noticed that requests for TCM reminders via email have become fewer and fewer lately. anything requested since early/mid Aug seems to be ignored/lost in cyberspace. the only ones i receive were requested months ago when the schedule was first published.

i went so far as to request every movie on Mon and Tues and see what would happen. i got no notifications for them, i did receive a notification this morning for The Painted Veil which is airing on Wed during Garbo day. however, i made that request months ago. anything requested lately is a no-go.

allthumbs, isn't it frustrating when you start a thread and get no responses? I think maybe people just didn't see this. I did not see this thread til just now.

Anyway, yes, now that you mention it, I've noticed that the last two times I've done that "request a reminder" thing, nothing happened. The movie airing on TCM that I wanted to be reminded about did not happen. The movie came and went and no email reminder.

(Fortunately, I remembered to catch the film anyway. But that's not the point.)

If TCM is going to discontinue that service, they should pull the "reminder" option from the site.

• Like 2

Hmmmm....perhaps the same people in charge of sending out these emails were ALSO the ones doin' those "the next three movies coming up on TCM are..." voice-overs you used to hear right after Uncle Bob and/or The Mankster tellin' us a little tidbit about the movie ya just watched.

And you how budget cuts go sometimes, doncha?!

(...hey...just a guess, of course) ;)

• Like 1

allthumbs, isn't it frustrating when you start a thread and get no responses? I think maybe people just didn't see this. I did not see this thread til just now.

Anyway, yes, now that you mention it, I've noticed that the last two times I've done that "request a reminder" thing, nothing happened. The movie airing on TCM that I wanted to be reminded about did not happen. The movie came and went and no email reminder.

(Fortunately, I remembered to catch the film anyway. But that's not the point.)

If TCM is going to discontinue that service, they should pull the "reminder" option from the site.

You are going to have to remind them to do that.

• Like 1

This website at times is very slow which tells me it is on a hosted server with probably 800 other sites that steal the bandwidth at times. All of these posts end up in a database that has to be accessed. Maybe the reminder database is corrupted.

You might also want to check your spam inbox and see if the reminders somehow were stuck in their by your email service. There is more than one possibility to why this could happen. Since TCM floods out reminders all day I could see someone at an email company listing  TCM as a spammer by accident. Or they hate classic movies, lol.

This website at times is very slow which tells me it is on a hosted server with probably 800 other sites that steal the bandwidth at times. All of these posts end up in a database that has to be accessed. Maybe the reminder database is corrupted.

You might also want to check your spam inbox and see if the reminders somehow were stuck in their by your email service. There is more than one possibility to why this could happen. Since TCM floods out reminders all day I could see someone at an email company listing  TCM as a spammer by accident. Or they hate classic movies, lol.

What distinguishes the E-mails that end up in spam from those that end up in your regular inbox?

What distinguishes the E-mails that end up in spam from those that end up in your regular inbox?

Nearly all email services have filters that decide what is spam and what is legitimate email. Before they came up with this people were getting hundreds of spam emails a day back around 2002 or maybe a little earlier. They have cleaned up 99.5% of the spam on the internet but some still gets through. If someone reports a TCM reminder as spam a worker could zap all the reminders and nobody in that service would get any, they would all go to the spam inbox.

After they started filtering this happened every often, you would find one of your legitimate emails in the spam inbox so it wasn't perfect. Now it way better but the spammers still try to get through.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw this thread - i have been having the same problem and had  posted about it on a different thread a few days ago.  I missed "Westworld" and realized that I hadn't been getting reminders for about two weeks, so it would seem that coincides with your experience of not getting reminders lately.  I've tested it a few times and still, no reminder.  What's going on?  Will someone at TCM please let us know?  If the reminder service has been discontinued, I'd like to know for sure so that I can go back to writing down the titles the old fashioned way, day by day.  That'll be a HUGE pain but at least I won't miss anything like I have recently.  Thank you for any help or advice on this!

I just saw this thread - i have been having the same problem and had  posted about it on a different thread a few days ago.  I missed "Westworld" and realized that I hadn't been getting reminders for about two weeks, so it would seem that coincides with your experience of not getting reminders lately.  I've tested it a few times and still, no reminder.  What's going on?  Will someone at TCM please let us know?  If the reminder service has been discontinued, I'd like to know for sure so that I can go back to writing down the titles the old fashioned way, day by day.  That'll be a HUGE pain but at least I won't miss anything like I have recently.  Thank you for any help or advice on this!

You can console yourself a little.  Westworld shows up once or twice a year.

You can console yourself a little.  Westworld shows up once or twice a year.

thanks!  In the meantime, I would still like to know what's going on with the reminder service.  I used a different email address just to test - still nothing.  Checked spam, no emails.  So, it looks like the service is not functioning.  Can anyone at TCM or a moderator find out for sure what's going on with it? 

thanks!  In the meantime, I would still like to know what's going on with the reminder service.  I used a different email address just to test - still nothing.  Checked spam, no emails.  So, it looks like the service is not functioning.  Can anyone at TCM or a moderator find out for sure what's going on with it? 

Maybe IF you posted this under the TCM problems forum instead of 'general discussions' a moderator would respond.

I'm old school.

I get the TCM Guide in the mail and when the time is right get out a big pink hi-lighter and mark the films I want to see in any enjoyable time available, spent lying on my couch while eating snacks and drinking some wine. If the movie is really important not to miss, I put big pink arrows on a pink line and sometimes have them pointing to the film on the schedule pages, a day early or even back a day or page, so as not to miss it.

And I don't.

Sure, it's work but enjoyable work which works for my purposes.

If one doesn't subscribe, they can still print the schedule out and mark that with a hi-lighter or Sharpie.

I've only once in many years missed a movie on TCM and that was due to not reviewing the guide a few times every few days to see what is coming up. I think I missed some Lubitsch film and was really disgusted with myself. Of course occasionally I start watching something at 4am and go to sleep but that is a whole other story, which explains why if on that late one should plan to tape so as not to miss the end, middle or beginning of a film.

Sure it is on the viewer but, if one wants something done right often one must do it themself.

This is not to negate that if TCM offers a service but do not fulfill what it is supposed to do, that I can understand why some people using it are a wee bit upset.

Maybe IF you posted this under the TCM problems forum instead of 'general discussions' a moderator would respond.

I already did....I responded to someone else's post from August who was also having the reminder problem....got no response so posted on general discussions where I found this thread, so hopefully with enough postings in enough places, we will get an answer to the problem.

I'm old school.

I get the TCM Guide in the mail and when the time is right get out a big pink hi-lighter and mark the films I want to see in any enjoyable time available, spent lying on my couch while eating snacks and drinking some wine. If the movie is really important not to miss, I put big pink arrows on a pink line and sometimes have them pointing to the film on the schedule pages, a day early or even back a day or page, so as not to miss it.

And I don't.

Sure, it's work but enjoyable work which works for my purposes.

If one doesn't subscribe, they can still print the schedule out and mark that with a hi-lighter or Sharpie.

I've only once in many years missed a movie on TCM and that was due to not reviewing the guide a few times every few days to see what is coming up. I think I missed some Lubitsch film and was really disgusted with myself. Of course occasionally I start watching something at 4am and go to sleep but that is a whole other story, which explains why if on that late one should plan to tape so as not to miss the end, middle or beginning of a film.

Sure it is on the viewer but, if one wants something done right often one must do it themself.

This is not to negate that if TCM offers a service but do not fulfill what it is supposed to do, that I can understand why some people using it are a wee bit upset.

thanks for the info....if TCM does end their reminder service, the only way to keep up with programming would be the guide, so I may have to do that.  I agree, it's a bit of work, but to know what's playing when so that I can  set up a taping or viewing  time, it's worth it. 

Come to think of it I haven't gotten any reminders recently either. I didn't even think about it until I saw this thread.

I just tweeted this question to TCM directly so maybe they will respond.

gone the same way as the on-air movie announcer....

CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP !!!  :angry:

Just to update this thread, I've tested the email reminder system a couple more times and got nothing and so far there's been no response from TCM or their moderators, so I have to presume that the reminder system is no longer functional.  If that IS the case, please TCM, REMOVE that option from the website, or at least tell viewers not to depend anymore on email reminders to catch their favorite movies.  Thank you.

• Like 1

i started this thread a couple of months ago, and haven't received any reminders since then even though the "Remind Me" link still appears on the "expanded" schedule option and the movie database.

then i heard an on air blurb that one of the features on the TCM app is the feature to create a "reminder" list.

so i presume that the reminder feature doesn't work anymore for non-paying peons, but does work for "paid" app subscribers. that's why the "reminder" feature still appears on the "schedule" link and the database site. right?

i started this thread a couple of months ago, and haven't received any reminders since then even though the "Remind Me" link still appears on the "expanded" schedule option and the movie database.

then i heard an on air blurb that one of the features on the TCM app is the feature to create a "reminder" list.

so i presume that the reminder feature doesn't work anymore for non-paying peons, but does work for "paid" app subscribers. that's why the "reminder" feature still appears on the "schedule" link and the database site. right?

You want your reminders on your computer, or your phone?

I've been  meaning to test the Reminders.

Your latest post is a reminder for me to test the Reminders,

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings