Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warren Oates

darkblue

misswonderly3 posted in the suts day by day thread:

What, Warren Oates day and no Two Lane Blacktop ?

Warren, a perennial supporting player for such a majority of his career - a tremendous amount of it in tv episodes - is one of those strange cases where an actor becomes almost a cult hero to audiences everywhere, who see him time and again and always seem to enjoy his presence in everything they see. Actors, too. I've heard it said that in the early 70's, everybody wanted him to be in whatever movie they were making, although the way it was put was "everybody wants to be in a Warren Oates movie" - a peculiar saying considering he wasn't generally a lead actor (not a star in the usual sense of the word).

'Two-Lane Blacktop' has become a cult item. I saw it several times in the 70's - including on its initial run in theaters. How does a rocker of 1971 not want to see a movie starring a young, long-haired James Taylor, Dennis Wilson and Warren Oates? Just yesterday I got the 2-disc Criterion edition from the library. Warming up the dvd recorder.

Anyway, I'm blathering. I was intending to respond to your post with:

'Two-Lane Blacktop' for sure, missw!

Fact is, there's an whole bunch of movies that could comprise another fabulous day at TCM, such as

Cockfighter  (1974)

The Hired Hand  (1971)

In the Heat of the Night  (1967)

The White Dawn  (1974)

The Border  (1982)

Kid Blue  (1973)

Sleeping Dogs  (1977)

Race with the Devil  (1975)

The Shooting  (1966)

Dillinger  (1973)

Drum  (1976)

Stripes  (1981)

Heck, even 'Return of the Seven' (1966) should be shown by TCM - ridiculously inferior sequel to 'The Magnificent Seven' though it is, Warren is the best thing in it (with apologies to Yul Brynner) and I'm always amazed that a movie with such a "classic" styling is never shown here.

Other Oates work that would be great to see - if TCM would just show some made for tv movies - would be 'The Movie Murderer' (1970).  And who wouldn't like to see him as Rooster Cogburn in the tv version of 'True Grit' (1978)? I missed it way back when and would love an airing of it!

That TCM even gave us a Warren Oates day this year is a hopeful sign (for me). I'm hoping it means that someone in programming is as fond of him as I am, and that there's the potential for another Warren Oates day in the future!  Lots more possibilities.

I'm very happy that we did get 'The Thief Who Came to Dinner' (1973) yesterday. Although a Ryan O'Neal vehicle, Warren was terrific in the co-star role.  Thank you TCM!!

• Like 1

I enjoyed having the chance to see The Thief Who Came to Dinner again as that's not on DVD. I watched There Was A Crooked Man which was a very nice print in terms of color fidelity, although it wasn't presented in the proper aspect ratio. It's a 2.35:1 film, not 1.85:1 as shown.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is one that I'm surprised aired at midnight on the East coast as that puts it in prime time in the West and there's some nudity there that's usually reserved for the wee hours. The big laugh though was at the end when Osborne said that up next was The Wild Bunch which according to the copy read, was the first collaboration between Peckinpah and Oates.

I guess that Ride the High Country (shown in the AM) and Major Dundee don't count.

• Like 1

I enjoyed having the chance to see The Thief Who Came to Dinner again as that's not on DVD. I watched There Was A Crooked Man which was a very nice print in terms of color fidelity, although it wasn't presented in the proper aspect ratio. It's a 2.35:1 film, not 1.85:1 as shown.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is one that I'm surprised aired at midnight on the East coast as that puts it in prime time in the West and there's some nudity there that's usually reserved for the wee hours. 

When a film airs on Turner Classic Movies at midnight on the East Coast, it also airs at midnight on the West Coast. On New Year's Eve 2000 and during the early morning hours of January 1, 2001, TCM provided back-to-back presentations of "2001: A Space Odyssey" so that the picture would be on the air just after the clock struck midnight on each Coast.

When a film airs on Turner Classic Movies at midnight on the East Coast, it also airs at midnight on the West Coast. On New Year's Eve 2000 and during the early morning hours of January 1, 2001, TCM provided back-to-back presentations of "2001: A Space Odyssey" so that the picture would be on the air just after the clock struck midnight on each Coast.

That's the exception, not the rule. Here's TCM's own schedule, click PST in the upper right hand corner and scroll down to August 24:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is one that I'm surprised aired at midnight on the East coast as that puts it in prime time in the West and there's some nudity there that's usually reserved for the wee hours. The big laugh though was at the end when Osborne said that up next was The Wild Bunch which according to the copy read, was the first collaboration between Peckinpah and Oates.

I guess that Ride the High Country (shown in the AM) and Major Dundee don't count.

clore, always nice to see  your posts here.

spoilers ahead:

I watched There Was a Crooked Man last night. I'd never seen it before. On the whole I liked it, but the soundtrack kind of spoiled things a bit, it was absolutely wretched, one of the worst soundtracks I've ever heard. Not only was it bad and annoying music in itself, it did not "fit" with the movie. At all.

I thought the allusions to homosexuality were unusual for 1970; the guard who lets the good-looking ( and very young) prisoner know he'll get special treatment if he's "nice" to the guard. But even more than this, the relationship between Hume Cronyn and John Randolph was so clearly that of a long-established couple. And they bickered with each other like "an old married couple" ! They were kind of touching, actually...I'm glad they didn't get killed like everybody else.

And Warren Oates was so good in it. Just as db says, even though he's never the lead, you watch him with as much interest as though he was.

Poor Floyd Moon ! He didn't deserve his end. But horrid wicked Paris certainly deserved his.

• Like 1

It's good to see you again misswonderly. I don't post as much as I used to do, but I do lurk here and on other sites. My fingers don't cooperate much these days, so typing can be a chore.

I hadn't seen Crooked Man since it came out and maybe back then the music seemed OK - as in fashionable in the Burt Bacharach way that was so popular. I didn't even care for the theme song and you could have knocked me over when I read that it was Trini Lopez - he was drowned out in the mix.

It would be interesting to see the original cut of Crooked Man which is supposedly some 40 minutes longer. Certainly Lee Grant's role had been trimmed, no need for someone of her caliber in such a brief appearance. Funny that she showed up immediately after the movie in the promo for Anatomy of a Murder.

So why does Watch TCM have an East Coast feed and a West Coast feed that are three hours apart?

Perhaps for streaming it's different. Of that I have no awareness as Time Warner Cable is not one of the partners and I can't access it.

Perhaps for streaming it's different. Of that I have no awareness as Time Warner Cable is not one of the partners and I can't access it.

Well, thanks for pointing that out. I was under the impression that the East Coast and West Coast schedules were exactly the same.

• Like 1

Something that was likely fairly shocking back in '74 looks rather tame now.

Wasn't shocking exactly, but the usual complaints about Peckinpah's "over-done" violence was definitely heard.

Everything from the 70's, pretty much, that was a cause for the formation of all those watchdog groups has been rendered "tame" by what's gone on since, though, I agree.

THE MOVIE MURDERER, co-starring Arthur Kennedy and a young, mustache-less Tom Selleck, is rarely seen and hard to find. I bought a DVD that turned out to be a bootleg; it was of inferior quality and was missing a scene in which Oates, a professional arsonist, makes a horrifying discovery.

Warren, a perennial supporting player for such a majority of his career - a tremendous amount of it in tv episodes - is one of those strange cases where an actor becomes almost a cult hero to audiences everywhere, who see him time and again and always seem to enjoy his presence in everything they see. Actors, too. I've heard it said that in the early 70's, everybody wanted him to be in whatever movie they were making, although the way it was put was "everybody wants to be in a Warren Oates movie" - a peculiar saying considering he wasn't generally a lead actor (not a star in the usual sense of the word).

'Two-Lane Blacktop' has become a cult item. I saw it several times in the 70's - including on its initial run in theaters. How does a rocker of 1971 not want to see a movie starring a young, long-haired James Taylor, Dennis Wilson and Warren Oates? Just yesterday I got the 2-disc Criterion edition from the library. Warming up the dvd recorder.

Anyway, I'm blathering. I was intending to respond to your post with:

'Two-Lane Blacktop' for sure, missw!

Fact is, there's an whole bunch of movies that could comprise another fabulous day at TCM, such as

Cockfighter  (1974)

The Hired Hand  (1971)

In the Heat of the Night  (1967)

The White Dawn  (1974)

The Border  (1982)

Kid Blue  (1973)

Sleeping Dogs  (1977)

Race with the Devil  (1975)

The Shooting  (1966)

Dillinger  (1973)

Drum  (1976)

Stripes  (1981)

Heck, even 'Return of the Seven' (1966) should be shown by TCM - ridiculously inferior sequel to 'The Magnificent Seven' though it is, Warren is the best thing in it (with apologies to Yul Brynner) and I'm always amazed that a movie with such a "classic" styling is never shown here.

Other Oates work that would be great to see - if TCM would just show some made for tv movies - would be 'The Movie Murderer' (1970).  And who wouldn't like to see him as Rooster Cogburn in the tv version of 'True Grit' (1978)? I missed it way back when and would love an airing of it!

That TCM even gave us a Warren Oates day this year is a hopeful sign (for me). I'm hoping it means that someone in programming is as fond of him as I am, and that there's the potential for another Warren Oates day in the future!  Lots more possibilities.

I'm very happy that we did get 'The Thief Who Came to Dinner' (1973) yesterday. Although a Ryan O'Neal vehicle, Warren was terrific in the co-star role.  Thank you TCM!!

I sure wouldn't mind seeing Drum as the second part of a double bill with Mandingo. :D

My first experience with acknowledging Oates as an actor was in the not so great but amusing  Ryan O'Neal vehicle THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER but it was on a double bill with DILLINGER somewhere.

Now, ANYtime you have Waren Oates AND Harry Dean Stanton with BEN JOHNSON in the cast, how CAN you go wrong?

I did recognize him from a couple of old "Teilight zone" episodes, and "The Rifleman" too, so he wasn't really a stranger, just never paid the NAME any mind.

Sepiatone

My first experience with acknowledging Oates as an actor was in the not so great but amusing  Ryan O'Neal vehicle THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER but it was on a double bill with DILLINGER somewhere.

My first experience with him was when he had a recurring role on the early 60's series 'Stoney Burke'. Jack Lord was the star, playing a rodeo rider. Warren was strongly featured in about a third of the episodes as something of a goofball around the rodeo circuit. At first I didn't like his character (he seemed a little like the 'Angel' character played by Stuart Margolin on 'The Rockford Files').

But after seeing him a few times, I found I was beginning to enjoy his oddness.

That he became as famous as he did, and got as much work as he did, was pleasing.

• Like 1

Reading this thread I wish I had seen some of the movies that aired on his Summer Under THe Stars day.

I've only seen Warren Oates in BADLANDS as Sissy Spacek's father.

You must have seen him in 'The Wild Bunch'??

That movie - even more than 'In the Heat of the Night' - is the one that propelled him into the public's greater awareness.

So, I see we get another - unexpected - Warren Oates treat on Monday (very wee small hours).

'China 9, Liberty 37' (1978) - the last of the spaghetti westerns. This one was directed by American Monte Hellman though, and in addition to the great Oates, it has fan-boy favorite (Logan's Run, American Werewolf in London) Jenny Agutter - and the legendary Sam Peckinpah doing some acting!

So, I see we get another - unexpected - Warren Oates treat on Monday (very wee small hours).

'China 9, Liberty 37' (1978) - the last of the spaghetti westerns. This one was directed by American Monte Hellman though, and in addition to the great Oates, it has fan-boy favorite (Logan's Run, American Werewolf in London) Jenny Agutter - and the legendary Sam Peckinpah doing some acting!

Ah, Jenny Agutter! Who could forget the dress she almost wore in Logan's Run!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings