Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unplanned Obsolescence

GordonCole

Have films become meaningless to the world and its peoples. Most people see films as just accessories to an ordinary life anyway but even amongst film buffs I see a dissatisfaction building and many would prefer to just watch old films of more quality and forget today's drek. Perhaps films will become as unwanted and unneeded as stereoptiscope cards from the 1890's in the near future. Your take.

I don't see movies disappearing...  I think human beings will always long for escapist entertainment and movies are a big part of that.  As for the 'dissatisfaction among film buffs', I know there's strong opinions on this board on what a "classic" movie is, and from what period of time, but do you see a dissatisfaction in other film communities?  I don't see many "modern" films, by choice, but I know that there are gems out there.'

P.S. I think we're more plugged into technology, like computers and smartphones and virtual reality machines, than ever. ;)

To paraphrase Lina here...

b85d946c2aef16197c25506d499e9dad.jpg

"Eeh! There will ALWAYS be people who live humdrum little lives who will want to go see a shimmering,

glowing star in the cinema firmament, like ME....it says so right here!"

;)

• Like 2

This reminds me of the scene in "Star Trek TNG - The Neutral Zone" when someone asked about television. Data replied Television ended as a form of entertainment during the latter half of the 21st century.

So the 22nd through the 23rd century must had been a major drag before the Holodeck. :huh:

neutralzone2-600x458.jpg

• Like 1

There is an excellent book that cover this topic, "TELELITERACY" by Bianculli. He covers social communication from cave paintings to renaissance paintings & sculpture to books to stage acting to movies to TV. 

We are always experiencing the "future". I really hope it's no Holodeck. We're already seeing de-humanizing effects of diminished human contact. I speculate it's one of the reasons behind the boom in animal companionship.

There is an excellent book that cover this topic, "TELELITERACY" by Bianculli. He covers social communication from cave paintings to renaissance paintings & sculpture to books to stage acting to movies to TV. 

We are always experiencing the "future". I really hope it's no Holodeck. We're already seeing de-humanizing effects of diminished human contact. I speculate it's one of the reasons behind the boom in animal companionship.

I think the future is devolving.  :wacko:

Movie for a brain dead society.

513GuNgpOUL._SL300_.jpg

"Animals! They're just ANIMALS!" from CLASH BY NIGHT

De-evolution is what this band was about:

250px-Forecastle_Devo.jpg

From Wiki: The name Devo comes "from their concept of 'de-evolution' — the idea that instead of continuing to evolve, mankind has actually begun to regress, as evidenced by the dysfunction and herd mentality of American society.

• Like 1

Movie for a brain dead society.

513GuNgpOUL._SL300_.jpg

Ha!  Actually, I think PIXELS might be quite interesting.  It looks to ME, at "first blush" as a send-up of not only mid '80's popular culture, but as a parody of what's become of the movie industry itself.  Can't say that's it's intent, but.....

Yeah, movies might probably be here for a long tme to come.  But, as with the MUSIC industry, the quality of movies will be seriously damaged by the LACK of quality of the medium.

There are plenty of outlets for people to see the latest movies without having to go and see them in a theater.  I just recently heard my nephew talk to a friend of his about some APP for his phone that allows him to see some recent movie releases.  ON A PHONE!

So, WHY should any studio bother to go through the expense and time to make a visually stunning feature when so many idiot "gadget junkies"  only bother to see them on the worst medium ever?

Like, WHY should recording artists and/or companies BOTHER to record anything with sonic excellence when too many dolts only listen to music on their TABLETS, phones or laptops?  Why not cut their costs and go back to MONO?  The sound engineering WILL eventually become as disinteresting as the music.

Sepiatone

This reminds me of the scene in "Star Trek TNG - The Neutral Zone" when someone asked about television. Data replied Television ended as a form of entertainment during the latter half of the 21st century.

So the 22nd through the 23rd century must had been a major drag before the Holodeck. :huh:

neutralzone2-600x458.jpg

Tng was a drag. nothing to watch not even babes because they are wearing unisex togs.

Have films become meaningless to the world and its peoples. Most people see films as just accessories to an ordinary life anyway but even amongst film buffs I see a dissatisfaction building and many would prefer to just watch old films of more quality and forget today's drek. Perhaps films will become as unwanted and unneeded as stereoptiscope cards from the 1890's in the near future. Your take.

yeah, and tcm says nary a word about todays fare being drek...and they should, drek is drek...blech! :)

...dating sites, divorces, social anxiety disorders. I think people have the need to relate to each other. And the virtual technology goes against that. So you end up with people who want to associate with others but, don't know how...sometimes with disastrous results.

They said the same thing in 1970 when the studio system ended and t.v. was king. People will always want to congregate with others. And since movies are making more money that ever, its alive and well.

This is also what rock and rollers said when EDM took over. Of course what they like is quality and what they don't like is dreck.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings