Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Honorary Oscar designees: Spike Lee and Gena Rowlands; Debbie Reynolds to receive Hersholt award

jakeem

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will present honorary Oscars for career excellence to director Spike Lee and actress Gena Rowlands. Meanwhile, actress Debbie Reynolds has been named recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for her charitable work. The award -- an Oscar statuette -- is dedicated to the memory of the Danish-born actor Hersholt (1886-1956), who was president of the Academy from 1945 to 1949. He also was the longtime president of the Motion Picture Relief Fund, a support group for people in the entertainment industry. 

The three honorees will be recognized at the Academy's annual Governors Awards in Hollywood on Saturday, November 14, 2015.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/08/27/spike-lee-governors-awards-gena-rowlands/32480973/

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will present honorary Oscars for career excellence to director Spike Lee and actress Gena Rowlands. Meanwhile, actress Debbie Reynolds has been named recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for her charitable work. The award -- an Oscar statuette -- is dedicated to the memory of the Danish-born actor Hersholt (1886-1956), who was president of the Academy from 1945 to 1949. He also was the longtime president of the Motion Picture Relief Fund, a support group for people in the entertainment industry. 

The three honorees will be recognized at the Academy's annual Governors Awards in Hollywood on Saturday, November 14, 2015.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/08/27/spike-lee-governors-awards-gena-rowlands/32480973/

I'm a little baffled by the award to Gena Rowlands. She hasn't had that extensive a FILM career, has she?

Has Cassavetes been honored?

Sadly, Cassavetes is no longer with us. He died in 1989.

Gena Rowlands is above all a film and television actress. She appeared on Broadway only once, in Paddy Chayefsky's Middle of the Night (1957), also with Edward G. Robinson and Martin Balsam.

Maybe it's just me but in some of his films I find Spike Lee's depiction of African Americans to be caricatures if not stereotypes.  He's gets away with it because he is African American himself.

He Got Game (1998) and Miracle at St. Anna (2008) were just dreadful.

Malcolm X (1992), Do the Right Thing (1989) and 4 Little Girls (1997) were all very good though.

Maybe it's just me but in some of his films I find Spike Lee's depiction of African Americans to be caricatures if not stereotypes.  He's gets away with it because he is African American himself.

Malcolm X (1992), Do the Right Thing (1989) and 4 Little Girls (1997) were all very good though.

I don't know how Spike himself would react to that, but it's likely a matter of balance. He has more than one black character in his films. So for every "caricature," there are many more African-American characters who aren't.

• Like 1

I don't know how Spike himself would react to that, but it's likely a matter of balance. He has more than one black character in his films. So for every "caricature," there are many more African-American characters who aren't.

Have you seen He Got Game?

I wasn't saying this about all of his films.  But in that one ALL of the characters are stereotypes IMHO.

Even better than any of those was Jungle Fever (1991), which for whatever reason has never shown up of TCM, whose repertory of African American films is embarrassingly small and overloaded with Jim Crow era stereotypes..

• Like 1

Wonderful news about Gena Rowlands. She deserves one. Still no Doris Day. :(

Why Liv Ullmann hasn't received one by now is still a mystery.........

Tell me WHY she deserves one. Wasn't she primarily a stage actress?

Are you talking about Gena Rowlands or Liv Ullmann?  It's hard to tell for sure from your comment.

Even better than any of those was Jungle Fever (1991), which for whatever reason has never shown up of TCM, whose repertory of African American films is embarrassingly small and overloaded with Jim Crow era stereotypes..

Also noteworthy is "25th Hour" (2002), a drama fraught with post-September 11th angst -- beginning with the opening titles. The film, starring Edward Norton and the late Philip Seymour Hoffman, was based on David Benioff's 2001 novel "The 25th Hour." Benioff, who adapted the movie's screenplay from his book, is now the co-producer of HBO's Emmy Award-winning drama series "Game of Thrones." 

I also like "Inside Man" (2006), a stylish heist film starring Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster and Clive Owen. I'm still waiting for a sequel to that one!

As for Rowlands, her greatest performance may have been her Oscar-nominated turn as a housewife losing her grip in "A Woman Under the Influence" (1974). The drama was written and directed by her husband, the late independent filmmaker John Cassavetes.

Her most popular film likely was "The Notebook" (2004), which was directed by her son, Nick Cassavetes. Her scenes were with the late James Garner. The movie, based on the 1996 novel by Nicholas Sparks and headlined by Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams, earned $81 million domestically and $115 million worldwide.

not trying to start anything, but if you ask me spike lee is a token recipient. I bet alotta people wouldn't even know his name if they heard it while Debbie and Gena have name recognition spanning many decades.

Spike Lee is a master craftsman, and he's been doing feature films for about 30 years now. He's had name recognition since the release of his first full-length motion picture -- "She's Gotta Have It" (1986). And let's not forget his popular Nike commercials from the past 25 years or so. It's entirely possible he has a higher name recognition level among younger movie fans than Reynolds or Rowlands.

Of course, much of his high profile is due to the fact that's he's opinionated on various subjects, including race in American society and the New York Knicks. 

If anything, the honor from the Academy is long overdue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/7-spike-lee-oscar-worthy-films-article-1.2340833

Spike Lee is a master craftsman, and he's been doing feature films for about 30 years now. He's had name recognition since the release of his first full-length motion picture -- "She's Gotta Have It" (1986). And let's not forget his popular Nike commercials from the past 25 years or so. It's entirely possible he has a higher name recognition level among younger movie fans than Reynolds or Rowlands.

Of course, much of his high profile is due to the fact that's he's opinionated on various subjects, including race in American society and the New York Knicks. 

If anything, the honor from the Academy is long overdue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/7-spike-lee-oscar-worthy-films-article-1.2340833

it is possible to be just a so-so film director irregardless of race. maybe ampas hopes the statuette will shut him up. :)

it is possible to be just a so-so film director irregardless of race. maybe ampas hopes the statuette will shut him up. :)

Hey ND! it's either "irrespective" or "regardless", but never a combination of both words.

(...oh and btw...it's ALSO "I couldN'T care less, not "I could care less", just in case you couldn't care less about my correction of the above example of your grammar here, dude!) ;)

LOL

Hey ND! it's either "irrespective" or "regardless", but never a combination of both words.

(...oh and btw...it's ALSO "I couldN'T care less, not "I could care less", just in case you couldn't care less about my correction of the above example of your grammar here, dude!) ;)

LOL

Dargo, I hope you have a happy Labour Day!

Well, that won't happen. He was very critical of the Academy's lack of diversity in several categories earlier in the year.

I forgot to mention that Lee already has an Oscar. The Academy issues student awards to promising college filmmakers. When he was in film school at New York University, he won the 1983 Dramatic Merit award for his short titled "Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads." 

His 2006 documentary for HBO -- "When the Levees Broke," about Hurricane Katrina's devastation of the New Orleans area -- won three Primetime Emmy Awards.

As I said earlier, the guy is a master craftsman.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings