Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Holy Matrimony with Monty Wooley

JoeMastro

Just finished watching "Holy Matrimony" with Monty Woolley and Gracie Fields.  If anyone out there saw this movie also, please explain to me how Mrs. Leek could claim that Woolley was her husband, when he looked nothing like Eric Blore ( who was the real Mr. Leek).  She had three sons with him, so you'd think that she could tell the difference.  I enjoyed the movie, but I think this was rather a large plot hole.

Mr, Leek apparently fled the marriage decades earlier. She convinced herself that Priam is her husband Henry, even though he may not look the way she remembers him.  She didn't know him but only as a young man.  I am an old lady, and I know how much some people can change with hair loss and beard growth.-and I am just talking about the guys! :o  .

Also, Mrs Leeke's knowledge about other  intimate details of her husband plays very well later.

Thanks, Casablanca, I see your point and obviously that's how the screenwriter hoped the audience would see it, but it does seem a bit of a stretch.  Also, as you point out, her knowledge of her real husband's skin plays a large role later during the trial.  Again, I see this as weak also as the woman apparently hadn't read a newspaper or talked to anyone who had, or she would have known about the moles.  The headlines screamed about the moles for days....but again, don't want to be too critical as I enjoyed the movie. 

Just finished watching "Holy Matrimony" with Monty Woolley and Gracie Fields.  If anyone out there saw this movie also, please explain to me how Mrs. Leek could claim that Woolley was her husband, when he looked nothing like Eric Blore ( who was the real Mr. Leek).  She had three sons with him, so you'd think that she could tell the difference.  I enjoyed the movie, but I think this was rather a large plot hole.

It is a large plot hole for Woolley to be claimed to be ANYBODY'S husband.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings