Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Molly and Me charming.

slaytonf

British comedies are of two sorts.  Either they are groaningly painful to witness, both the physical and verbal humor clumsy and forced. Or easy, witty, and charming.  Not all of them are on the level of The Lavender Hill Mob, but what is?

Anyway, this one is of the ingenue comes into a situation out-of-kilter and sets it right type.  It's well-executed on all parts, but the pillar of the movie is Gracie Fields (a new face to me) due to the steadiness and substance in her carriage and delivery.  Seems she was a big star in England.  Apparently didn't make it over here.  She doesn't sparkle like Jessie Matthews, but it would be an opportunity for TCM to show more of her limited filmography.

• Like 3

British comedies are of two sorts.  Either they are groaningly painful to witness, both the physical and verbal humor clumsy and forced. Or easy, witty, and charming.  Not all of them are on the level of The Lavender Hill Mob, but what is?

Anyway, this one is of the ingenue comes into a situation out-of-kilter and sets it right type.  It's well-executed on all parts, but the pillar of the movie is Gracie Fields (a new face to me) due to the steadiness and substance in her carriage and delivery.  Seems she was a big star in England.  Apparently didn't make it over here.  She doesn't sparkle like Jessie Matthews, but it would be an opportunity for TCM to show more of her limited filmography.

Molly and Me is a lovely film with many endearing characters. An American film, actually, written by Frances Marion. Gracie Fields was a huge star -- she didn't want to go to Hollywood and wasn't interested in a career here, though she did have to come to America during the war, possibly at the suggestion of Winston Churchill, because she married an Italian. I wish TCM would show some of her early films, like Sally in Our Alley, in which she introduced her theme song, which she sang at almost every performance until the end of her life. Here, just before her death in 1979, is Our Gracie singing "Sally in Our Alley" at the Royal Variety performance.

• Like 2

I agree, slayton. It was my first exposure to this film this evening, and I also found it quite charming. I loved the little "sting operation" near the end of the film, especially. Very clever and entertaining way to tie things up, I thought.

However, while the story is set in jolly ole Blighty, I don't believe one could rightly call it a "British comedy", as this film is actually an American production, which while showcasing some great British talent as Gracie Fields, Reginald Gardiner and Roddy McDowall, it also of course featured tonight's SUTS honoree Americans Monty Woolley and Natalie Schafer, and was produced by Twentieth Century Fox and filmed on their studio lot.

• Like 1

British comedies are of two sorts. Either they are groaningly painful to witness, both the physical and verbal humor clumsy and forced. Or easy, witty, and charming. Not all of them are on the level of The Lavender Hill Mob, but what is?

Anyway, this one is of the ingenue comes into a situation out-of-kilter and sets it right type. It's well-executed on all parts, but the pillar of the movie is Gracie Fields (a new face to me) due to the steadiness and substance in her carriage and delivery. Seems she was a big star in England. Apparently didn't make it over here. She doesn't sparkle like Jessie Matthews, but it would be an opportunity for TCM to show more of her limited filmography.

I too enjoy this comedy, and agree TCM should show more of Gracie Fields. I believe she was considered a national treasure in England.

Btw, I think TCM.preceded this film.with another,.earlier, teaming.of Monty Woolley and Gracie Fields, HOLY MATRIMONY, an equally charming comedy made at Fox.a year or two earlier.

PS........FMC shows these films occasionally, and I believe M&M will be on in the next few.days.jk

I agree, slayton. It was my first exposure to this film this evening, and I also found it quite charming. I loved the little "sting operation" near the end of the film, especially. Very clever and entertaining way to tie things up, I thought.

I also enjoyed this film very much - have to admit I'm old enough that the ending reminded me a little of one of the original Mission Impossible episodes (minus the rubber masks, of course).   :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings