Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
stjohns95

Ethel Merman

Apparently I am the only fan of Merman's on these boards. I would really love it if TCM would have a week her films . Does anyone feel the same way????????

Hi St. Johns -

You are NOT the only Merman fan here - I join you. She was tops but a lot of people didn't get her. I would love to see some of her best musicals (she didn't make many). They did just show It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in which she was funny for the first half hour - but the director (Kubrick??) had her screeching through the entire movie - tiresome. But I would like to see Call Me Madam and No Business Like Show Business - I can't remember what else. Too bad she never did Gypsy or Annie Get Your Gun, huh.

Anyway, there's a new book coming out soon: Ethel Merman - Broadway's Biggest Star. I have it on order at Amazon.

Good luck,

Ralph

I used to have her disco album but I lost it in a flood - probably a collector's item by now. Have you heard her Live in Las Vegas album?

I'm a Merman fan, too! The only CD I have her on is my Annie Get Your Gun Original Cast Revival, though. I want to get her 'Your world is a Balloon' (or something like that) CD. I also want to see Call Me Madam- I never even knew it existed until I saw a song from it in a one of my vocal books. I LOVE her voice!!!

Alexander's Ragtime Band is another of Merman's best musical films and it's out on DVD. I'd never have pictured Ethel and Tyronne Power as a romantic couple, but she does a good acting job of playing his band vocalist with an unreciprocated crush on him. She also gets to sing some great Irving Berlin songs, as does another one of my favorite musical actresses...Alice Faye.

Well worth checking out if you haven't seen it already.

I love Ethel Merman also, I think she's very good and very overlooked. She also seems very natural. I stumbled upon Call Me Madam some time ago and I can honestly say it is my all time favorite musical--or movie for that matter.

Merman sings some really great songs and wears some great dresses (especially at the ball where she sings International Rag).

For anyone who hasn't seen this movie- IT IS A MUST !!

Vera-Ellen and Donald O'Connor are also wonderful together. George Sanders makes for a good leading man for Merman.

After watching this movie, I am determined to see more Merman pictures.

She definitely adds the comedy to this movie. I'm glad to see there are others who feel the same way about Merman.

On the DVD there is a very good audio commentary.

Message was edited by:

mbmuva

I agree. The Fox Movie Channel plays the film regularly..... check your local listings. I have been dying to see "Anything Goes", but TCM has never shown it. I do know they cut 2 or 3 numbers from the film that were part of the original stage production. I have emailed TCM numerous times suggesting that they showcase the legendary powerhouse (Merman) as their featured star of the week / month to no avail. Maybe if some of you guys jump on the band wagon they will catch on.

Thanks

You'll love 'la Merman' in There's No Business Like Show Business - a gargantuan no-holds bar lavish to excess musical offering from the mid 50s with Merman as the loveably overbearing mother of Donald O'Connor and Mitzi Gaynor. She also has to have eyes in the back of her head to stop hubby Dan Dailey from walking off with chorus girls. The finale sung to the title tune is blindly all star. Oh, right...there's a lucious young lass in there you may have heard of...Marilyn Monroe, looking ravishing and sultry as always. Great stuff. Ditto for Alexander's Ragtime Band (a number redone to riotous frivolity in TNBLSB) and Call Me Madam.