Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

George C Scott Day !!!

GMJLeo2036

GREAT SCOTT!!!!

Always one of my fav's and I especially luv his rendition of Patton (1970)

but on a more light-hearted note, he made They Might Be Giants (1971 with Joanne Woodward, Jack Gilford) around the same time and that would have made a great juxta...just a ...oh, counterpoint...to the more serious side...Got a GREAT SCOTT fav of your own ?

• Like 2

but on a more light-hearted note, he made They Might Be Giants (1971 with Joanne Woodward, Jack Gilford) around the same time and that would have made a great juxta...just a ...oh, counterpoint...to the more serious side...Got a GREAT SCOTT fav of your own ?

I saw THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS when NBC aired it in 1972. I thought it was great, but a little odd. Both odd and great. :)

I think THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS (1971) is a Universal picture.  Universal is a stingy bunch.  There's plenty of Universal movies I'd ♥ to see on TCM, but it's slow going.  At least TCM was able to show MIRAGE (1965) in the recent past.  That was a 'Premiere'. 

• Like 1

I saw THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS when NBC aired it in 1972. I thought it was great, but a little odd. Both odd and great. :)

It is odd, in places.  And silly, and plodding, and sometimes godawful.  But it is also magnificent, and hilarious, and at the end, sublime.

With domestic violence such a hot button issue in 2015, I'm not sure that Scott deserves a day.

Ironic, ain't it, that in the film PETULIA, Scott's character is the one abhorred by the domestic violence perpetrated upon Julie Christie's title character by Richard Chamberlain's character? 

Apparently, you can have been a woman-beater, but you can't have committed suicide.

And this would be a reference to whom? 

(...oh..wait..to George Sanders, riiiight...good point...don't worry, I know THIS George will eventually have his long awaited and well deserved day...just hang in there)

Ironic, ain't it, that in the film PETULIA, Scott's character is the one abhorred by the domestic violence perpetrated upon Julie Christie's title character by Richard Chamberlain's character? 

Yes considering he beat up Ava Gardner and caused her to have a detached retina. Real great guy. I'll pass when any of his films are shown. He was an abuser and not just to Ava. 

• Like 1

Yes considering he beat up Ava Gardner and caused her to have a detached retina. Real great guy. I'll pass when any of his films are shown. He was an abuser and not just to Ava. 

This reminds me of something I read last night in his Wiki page, lavender...

Scott had a reputation for being moody and mercurial while on the set. "There is no question you get pumped up by the recognition," he once said, "Then a self-loathing sets in when you realize you're enjoying it."[13] A famous anecdote relates that one of his stage costars, Maureen Stapleton, told the director of Neil Simon's Plaza Suite, "I don't know what to do — I'm scared of him." The director, Mike Nichols, replied, "My dear, everyone is scared of George C. Scott."

• Like 3

I'm really disappointed that they're not showing George C. Scott's final triumph: the heartbreaking and moving Man Getting Hit in Groin By Football.

It won him the Oscar, you know.

Wow, Lorna! Gotta say I didn't know that, first, an appearance on the television program "America's Funniest Home Videos" would qualify one for an Academy Award, and secondly, that Scott ever even appeared on that show at all!

(...you learn SO much by hangin' with this crowd around here, ya know!)

;) 

Wow, Lorna! Gotta say I didn't know that, first, an appearance on the television program "America's Funniest Home Videos" would qualify one for an Academy Award, and secondly, that Scott ever even appeared on that show at all!

(...you learn SO much by hangin' with this crowd around here, ya know!)

;)

It's a SIMPSONS joke, and one that takes more time to explain than I presently have.

I tried to find a video on youtube, but alas, it is not there.

(anyone else want to step in and 'splain in my stead, go right ahead.)

It's a SIMPSONS joke, and one that takes more time to explain than I presently have.

I tried to find a video on youtube, but alas, it is not there.

(anyone else want to step in and 'splain in my stead, go right ahead.)

WAIT! Okay Lorna, I THOUGHT I had heard ALL the "Simpson jokes" there are out there, YOU know like that one about him "looking for 'the real killer' while out golfing", but I guess THIS one has somehow eluded me, and...ummm...

Wait again. You said "SimpsonS" here, didn't ya.

(...sorry...never mind)

With domestic violence such a hot button issue in 2015, I'm not sure that Scott deserves a day.

Maybe he appeared in too many Carousel shows?  Bad joke, but I could hardly believe the back-story of that one!

"Is it possible dear for someone to hit you hard and for it not to hurt you at all"

- Shirley Jones to her daughter in Carousel (1956) explaining why she loves her wife-beating husband, Gordon MacRae

• Like 1

WAIT! Okay Lorna, I THOUGHT I had heard ALL the "Simpson jokes" there are out there, YOU know like that one about him "looking for 'the real killer' while out golfing", but I guess THIS one has somehow eluded me, and...ummm...

Wait again. You said "SimpsonS" here, didn't ya.

(...sorry...never mind)

I'll explain it when I get more time....

Not to excuse him in any way, but he had a tremendous drinking problem, which apparently brought out the very worse in him. Not knowing many details, I hope that his victims pressed charges.

Isn't there some kind of story that says once Sinatra heard of his battering of his ex, he had a couple of goons he knew through his "connections" break Scott's nose and make that sucker even more of a "novel feature" than it already was???

'Cause after watching a few of Scott's films he made later in his career last night, THAT baby looked MUCH worse than when it did in films such as ANATOMY OF A MURDER and he first started out in films.

(...I noticed this especially while watching him going berserk in the appropriately titled RAGE last night)

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings