Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you find SARATOGA TRUNK confusing??

FredCDobbs

I didn't find it confusing--I did miss the first 15 minutes when I saw it--picked up on it easily enough.

Plot summary ( setting the scene Only): Clio Dulaine (Ingrid Bergman) is the illegitimate daughter of the New Orleans Dulaine family.  Her mother is harassed/murdered by her family & buried in a nameless plot & Clio packed off to France so she couldn't embarrass the family socially by the fact of her existence. When she grows up, Clio is intent on revenge for her mother & goes to New Orleans to achieve it.  After she arrives in New Orleans, she meets Clint Maroon (Gary Cooper), a Texan of questionable reputation--they fall in love/lust/like/choose an adjective.  Clio achieves her first goal of socially ruining her family's reputation--the plot from this point on is very clear.

BTW--before anyone says this is preposterous, remember the plot of Jezebel (1938) hinged on Bette Davis wearing the wrong color dress to an New Orleans white dress only ball.

I didn't find it confusing--I did miss the first 15 minutes when I saw it--picked up on it easily enough.

Plot summary ( setting the scene Only): Clio Dulaine (Ingrid Bergman) is the illegitimate daughter of the New Orleans Dulaine family.  Her mother is harassed/murdered by her family & buried in a nameless plot & Clio packed off to France so she couldn't embarrass the family socially by the fact of her existence. When she grows up, Clio is intent on revenge for her mother & goes to New Orleans to achieve it.  After she arrives in New Orleans, she meets Clint Maroon (Gary Cooper), a Texan of questionable reputation--they fall in love/lust/like/choose an adjective.  Clio achieves her first goal of socially ruining her family's reputation--the plot from this point on is very clear.

BTW--before anyone says this is preposterous, remember the plot of Jezebel (1938) hinged on Bette Davis wearing the wrong color dress to an New Orleans white dress only ball.

Thank you very much. I think maybe my problem is that just about all times I've seen this film has been late at night and I might have fallen asleep during various early segments. I never could figure out if her mother was a prositute and what that other family had to do with her. Now I understand. :)

• Like 1

I've noticed that "Saratoga Trunk" has some things in common with the 1958 Elvis movie "King Creole." Both films are set in New Orleans -- albeit 83 years apart -- and feature colorful French Quarter street vendors selling their wares. And both movies were produced by Hal B. Wallis. I wonder if he liked the street vendors from the first movie so much, he decided to showcase them again.

• Like 1

FredCDobbs--TCM is showing Saratoga Trunk again in Oct at 2:00 p.m. E.S.T.--Ingrid Bergman has never been funnier (on purpose), & ST is one of the rare films (away from Frank Capra) to show Gary Cooper has a sense of humor & comedy timing--hope you catch ST in Oct. & enjoy it.

Thank you.

:)

• Like 1

FredCDobbs--TCM is showing Saratoga Trunk again in Oct at 2:00 p.m. E.S.T.--Ingrid Bergman has never been funnier (on purpose), & ST is one of the rare films (away from Frank Capra) to show Gary Cooper has a sense of humor & comedy timing--hope you catch ST in Oct. & enjoy it.

To enjoy Cooper's sly comedy finesse, I have also always appreciated his performances in Desire (1936), a romantic bauble from producer Ernest Lubitsch, co-starring Marlene Dietrich,  as well as Howard Hawks' Ball of Fire (1941).

I think that Coop's droll comedy technique is beautifully utilized in William Wyler's The Westerner (1940) (the hangover scene, in particular) and, to a more gentle degree, in the same director's Friendly Persuasion (1956).

• Like 1

While I'm not a Coop fan, his wooden personality can sometimes fit a role quite well, as in MEET JOHN DOE. I otoh am often confused by Ingrid Bergman. SARATOGA TRUNK is only the second film (GASLIGHT being the other) where her performance "captured" me  

I also thought she was the most beautiful in SARATOGA TRUNK than I had ever seen her before. People often cite an actor's age, but I think make-up & lighting especially contributes to an actor's "look".

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings