Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wes Craven (1939-2015)

jakeem

Veteran director Wes Craven, known for his "A Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Scream" horror series, has died -- four weeks after celebrating his 76th birthday.

In 1999, he proved that he could do more than horror films. He directed Meryl Streep to an Academy Award nomination in "Music of the Heart," the true story of dedicated East Harlem schoolteacher Roberta Guaspari. The film also starred Gloria Estefan, Angela Bassett and Aidan Quinn.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/08/30/wes-craven-dies-nightmare-on-elm-street-hills-have-eyes/71439582/

• Like 1

I liked his older gross-out stuff the best:  THE HILLS HAVE EYES and LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT.  I discovered him about the same time I discovered George Romero and Dave Cronenberg, among others, back in 1970s - a golden age for horror (in my humble opinion).  Violent, disturbing, thought provoking.  R.I.P. indeed.

• Like 2

wes craven and his movies have always been seriously overrated. I never watched a single film of his that I thought was good horror. an incinerated perv with metal blades attached to his burnt fingers takes physical reality in teenagers dreams?

it makes no sense. never has.

gimme a break.

John Carpenter rates ten times the accolades that craven is getting.

The best tagline ever written for radio ads for a film was for "LHOTL".

"Keep repeating, it is only a movie, it is only a movie."

My childhood friend got a nosebleed the first time she saw it as she was so scared.

I love horror so will miss Craven immensely.

• Like 1

John Carpenter rates ten times the accolades that craven is getting.

We'll have to wait and see when Carpenter dies. 

I'm now also curious to know Carpenter's reaction to Craven's death.

I'm betting there was a "mutual admiration" thing going on there.  I'm also pinning that belief on that those two individually had FAR more class than some FORUM members here display!    ;)

Sepiatone

We'll have to wait and see when Carpenter dies. 

I'm now also curious to know Carpenter's reaction to Craven's death.

I'm betting there was a "mutual admiration" thing going on there.  I'm also pinning that belief on that those two individually had FAR more class than some FORUM members here display!    ;)

Sepiatone

I just think carpenter was better at spinning a story than craven ever was. even tobe hooper is better than craven and I'm not gonna heap praises on someone I have always felt was a very subpar director. just not gonna do it. I mean no disrespect to the man's passing but I would no more praise craven then I would larry buchanan. :P

I just think carpenter was better at spinning a story than craven ever was. even tobe hooper is better than craven and I'm not gonna heap praises on someone I have always felt was a very subpar director. just not gonna do it. I mean no disrespect to the man's passing but I would no more praise craven then I would larry buchanan. :P

you get into craven's movies and they ultimately doan seem to go anywhere. the one with the people living under a house. I found it an extremely interesting and believable premise but it lost momentum torwards the end. the hills have eyes, craven's cut-rate texas chainsaw massacre. he constrained michael berryman too much.

all he used berryman for was that vegetable stare from one flew over the cuckoo's nest. :)

Wes Craven had his share of both 'hits' and 'misses', to be sure. 

I watched LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT one time.  Stupid movie.  There was supposed to be some sort of raw, emotional power to the film from the reviews I'd read of it.  I didn't feel it.  I won't watch it again because I thought it was a waste of film, not because I was shocked and/or appalled by its content.  Meh.

I liked the 1978 TVM "SUMMER OF FEAR" (aka:  "Stranger In Our House") considerably better. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings