Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Female characters with men's names

Carol is another name that British men often have, the most notable being Carol Reed, director of THE THIRD MAN, ODD MAN OUT and THE FALLEN IDOL.

Americans of a certain age may recall another Carol Reed -- she was one of the first "weather girls" on TV. She closed her segments by saying, "Have a happy."

Especially in 1861, eh hep?!

(...or even in 1939 for THAT matter, huh!)

Well, considering the first gay association was found in 1870 in New York, and I sure Ashley and Melanie were secretly making love in the linen closet while their husbands played underwater polo at Walt Whitman's Southern home. 

Carol is another name that British men often have, the most notable being Carol Reed, director of THE THIRD MAN, ODD MAN OUT and THE FALLEN IDOL.

Americans of a certain age may recall another Carol Reed -- she was one of the first "weather girls" on TV. She closed her segments by saying, "Have a happy."

Must be regional.  Around the Detroit area, the first "weather girl" was Marylin Turner, who wound up marrying an anchor on her staton (WXYZ-channel 7) named John Kelly, and those two had a years long popular local daytime TALK SHOW, which around here often out-rated the very astute PHIL DONAHUE. 

And STILL----has ANYONE mentioned MERLE OBERON as French poetess and literary figure GEORGE SAND in "A Song To Remember"?   Speaking of "Female characters with men's names"?

Sepiatone

In the 1930s Ashley would not have been considered a woman's name. Ashley did not become popular as a woman's name until sometime after the Baby Boomer Generation. I went to high school with a boy named Courtney and did not meet a girl with that name until some time later.

Some names like Dana, Dale, and Lee still are given to both sexes, although Dana is more common as a woman's name. Notice that all of these names, like Ashley, Courtney, Hayley, Leslie, and Madison were all originally last names.

In general, notice the trend toward unisex names? In another 100 years, the only way  you'll be able to tell if it's a male or female is by seeing their privates.

Must be regional.  Around the Detroit area, the first "weather girl" was Marylin Turner, who wound up marrying an anchor on her staton (WXYZ-channel 7) named John Kelly, and those two had a years long popular local daytime TALK SHOW, which around here often out-rated the very astute PHIL DONAHUE. 

And STILL----has ANYONE mentioned MERLE OBERON as French poetess and literary figure GEORGE SAND in "A Song To Remember"?   Speaking of "Female characters with men's names"?

Sepiatone

Carol Reed was broadcasting in New York practically from the beginning. 1950 was the first big year for sales of TV sets, and she began in 1952. The New York Times article says that she was "probably the first woman to do weather on TV." I could find only one picture of her; she was a rarity --  a brunette.

As for George Sand: that was a pseudonym;  and Estelle Merle Oberon chose to use her middle name, possibly because she liked the rhythm better.

One of my favorite melodramas from the 40's is "In This Our Life" starring Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland as sisters ("Bette was the bad one and Olivia the good one), Bette's name was Stanley and Olivia's name was Roy. TCM aired this film during the Olivia DeHavilland tribute on Summer Under The Stars. Love Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland and had the thrill of meeting both of them in the Loew's Kings Theater in Flatbush when they did a promotional tour of Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte. After the movie there was a question and answer forum that lasted for almost an hour and a half. What a night..I'll never forget how gracious these women were.

• Like 2

In In This Our Life, Bette Davis is named Stanley, and Olivia De Havilland is Roy.

In Prime Cut, Gene Hackman is called Mary Ann.

In Charley Varrick, Joe Don Baker is Molly.

Any other examples?

EDIT: I should, of course, have added "...and vice-versa" to the heading of this thread.

Last night I was watching old Match Game 1973 on Buzz.    The women contestant was named Stanley.   The host asked her how she got the name Stanley;   Sure enough,  her mom was a big fan of Bette Davis and saw the movie In This Our Life and named her daughter Stanley.

If I was the host I would have asked the contestant if she had a sister named Roy!

• Like 1

That's not true, actually. Assertive women hate the sexism they experience. 

Well hep, let's remember here that a charge of "sexism" isn't necessarily always a valid claim when it comes to this sort'a thing.

(...yep, sort'a like what Peewee Reese once told his good friend and Dodger teammate Jackie Robinson:  "You know Jack, some of these guys are throwing at you because you're black. But others are doing it just because they plain don't like you.")

;)

That's not true, actually. Assertive women hate the sexism they experience. 

Well your accretion wasn't true either since you said men,  as in all men, feel or behave in a certain way.

"Because men hate assertive women".

It is folly to imply all men hate assertive women.     Secure and confident men have no issue with assertive women.  

So while I agree that many men do have issues with assertive,  you're comment was overly broad.

Well your accretion wasn't true either since you said men,  as in all men, feel or behave in a certain way.

"Because men hate assertive women".

It is folly to imply all men hate assertive women.     Secure and confident men have no issue with assertive women.  

So while I agree that many men do have issues with assertive,  you're comment was overly broad.

Right because it's all about men. It's always about men. Men and their peanut sized genitalia. 

There are not many men secure in their own gender to not be bothered by assertive women. Maybe you and a couple other men as individuals have spoken, but men as a whole, need to stop getting their panties in a wad over issues like this.