Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Haywire over Hayward.

How often have I opened discussion of a Star of the Month with the same description of their childhood?  Susan Hayward, or the girl who was to become her, grew up in poverty, in Brooklyn.  She used this, as she said, to fire her fierce determination to lift herself out of that world.  The favoritism and unfairness she endured within her family, as it is reported, she used to drive herself to success.  In discussing an actress, I don't usually focus on her looks.  I feel doing so, covers over her whole value in a movie, her acting.  And if any actress relies on her looks, well, she isn't worth discussing.  But in Susan Hayward's case, I have to say, she is simply one of the most gorgeous, sexy women ever to appear on screen.  That may be due to my preferences, but there it is.

As for her career, she just happens to be one of the most successful, recognized performers of all time.  There are actors who have won more awards than her, but not many.  Her films are remembered for their powerful, affecting performances, the best ones about women coping, or not coping, with extraordinary trials, usually self-inflicted through character flaws, or weaknesses.  These include Smash-Up:  The Story of a Woman (1947), I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955), and the one she won the Big One for, I Want to Live! (1958).  The last I find hard to watch.  Not because it is terrible, but because it is so good.  It details the excruciating path of a woman forced to her death against her mighty struggles.  It doesn't matter whether she is sympathy-inspiring or not, the process is portrayed with such brutal honesty, it is an ordeal for me to watch.

Important as these movies are, I find I enjoy her best in her movies that aren't recognized as much, or frankly, aren't as good.  Movies like Ada (1961), They Won't Believe Me (1947), Deadline at Dawn (1946), and the one she is to me the most sexy, Tulsa (1949).  I know the last is not a great movie, and the Technicolor is not the best, or at least it's sorely in need of restoration, but I don't know a movie where any other woman appeared to greater advantage (i. e., looked hotter).

• Like 8

Somehow I thought your thread would be about Brooke Hayward's autobiography.  I must be tired!

Several of the Susan Hayward movies you mention I haven't seen, and now am eager to. I often ejoy lesser known or less popular movies, and will keep an eye out for them.  I remember how valiant she was near the end of her life, appearing at the Academy Awards while very ill.  Very brave, and a movie star to the end.

• Like 1

I know it's been discussed at length, but I just love her in I WANT TO LIVE! I own a lobby card of the scene of her blindfolded being led to the "chamber" but just can't frame & hang it!

Hayward does a brilliant job of making you believe she's nasty, hard as nails...but feeling scared and remorseful underneath. An actress playing an actress....something only Stanwyck & Lupino did just as well in these type of movies. 

I better like her- I was named after her!

• Like 2

How often have I opened discussion of a Star of the Month with the same description of their childhood?  Susan Hayward, or the girl who was to become her, grew up in poverty, in Brooklyn.  She used this, as she said, to fire her fierce determination to lift herself out of that world.  The favoritism and unfairness she endured within her family, as it is reported, she used to drive herself to success.  In discussing an actress, I don't usually focus on her looks.  I feel doing so, covers over her whole value in a movie, her acting.  And if any actress relies on her looks, well, she isn't worth discussing.  But in Susan Hayward's case, I have to say, she is simply one of the most gorgeous, sexy women ever to appear on screen.  That may be due to my preferences, but there it is.

As for her career, she just happens to be one of the most successful, recognized performers of all time.  There are actors who have won more awards than her, but not many.  Her films are remembered for their powerful, affecting performances, the best ones about women coping, or not coping, with extraordinary trials, usually self-inflicted through character flaws, or weaknesses.  These include Smash-Up:  The Story of a Woman (1947), I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955), and the one she won the Big One for, I Want to Live! (1958).  The last I find hard to watch.  Not because it is terrible, but because it is so good.  It details the excruciating path of a woman forced to her death against her mighty struggles.  It doesn't matter whether she is sympathy-inspiring or not, the process is portrayed with such brutal honesty, it is an ordeal for me to watch.

Important as these movies are, I find I enjoy her best in her movies that aren't recognized as much, or frankly, aren't as good.  Movies like Ada (1961), They Won't Believe Me (1947), Deadline at Dawn (1946), and the one she is to me the most sexy, Tulsa (1949).  I know the last is not a great movie, and the Technicolor is not the best, or at least it's sorely in need of restoration, but I don't know a movie where any other woman appeared to greater advantage (i. e., looked hotter).

I was the main person pushing her for SOTM. but you've got ME skinned to pieces. Hayward for Star of the 20th Century?

It took me a while to honestly appreciate Hayward as an actress.

When I was much younger, I didn't like her due to her always seeming to have a [..] expresission on her face.

It didn't help that when I was in my mid to late 20's a friend of mine was married to a woman who was Hayward's DOUBLE, and SHE was a first class b!tch.

Lucky for me, I got over all that nonsense.   :)

Sepiatone

Edited by TCMModerator1
edited for language

It took me a while to honestly appreciate Hayward as an actress.

When I was much younger, I didn't like her due to her always seeming to have a [..] expresission on her face.

It didn't help that when I was in my mid to late 20's a friend of mine was married to a woman who was Hayward's DOUBLE, and SHE was a first class b!tch.

Lucky for me, I got over all that nonsense.   :)

Sepiatone

If you look like THAT, you can get away with being a [..].

Edited by TCMModerator1
edited for language

An actress playing an actress....something only Stanwyck & Lupino did just as well in these type of movies.

You mean you didn't like Bette Davis in The Star? ;)

I was the main person pushing her for SOTM. but you've got ME skinned to pieces. Hayward for Star of the 20th Century?

If I'd known, I'd have held off and let you start the thread on her.  Thanks for your efforts.  

I am happy that you got your wish. It is about time that TCM honors a star who has never been chosen before. Susan is a wonderful choice. A beautiful lady who worked her way up in supporting until producer Walter Wanger gave Susan her break thru role in SMASH UP STORY OF A WOMAN 1947. She acted her heart out in this role earning her first Academy Award nomination. Three years before Susan costarred in a movie I really enjoy. Susan plays the younger sister of Loretta Young in AND NOW TOMORROW 1944. Loretta is deaf, but she can read lips. She has seen many doctors, but nobody has been able to help her. Loretta is engaged to Barry Sullivan, but Susan wants him for herself. Cecil Kellaway the local doctor has a young out of town doctor come to the city to help him. Loretta and Susan grew up in a wealthy family, and Alan Ladd the new doctor grew up poor in the same city. He believes that he can help Loretta with her deafness. While bringing her home one night, he notices Susan and Barry together. He doesn`t say anything to Loretta. I enjoy Susan so much in the behind the scenes conniving that she did so well. Tomorrow in ADAM HAD FOUR SONS 1940, she played the same type of role. I will find my video tape so I can see Susan`s performance in AND NOW TOMORROW again.

• Like 1

I am happy that you got your wish. It is about time that TCM honors a star who has never been chosen before. Susan is a wonderful choice. A beautiful lady who worked her way up in supporting until producer Walter Wanger gave Susan her break thru role in SMASH UP STORY OF A WOMAN 1947. She acted her heart out in this role earning her first Academy Award nomination. Three years before Susan costarred in a movie I really enjoy. Susan plays the younger sister of Loretta Young in AND NOW TOMORROW 1944. Loretta is deaf, but she can read lips. She has seen many doctors, but nobody has been able to help her. Loretta is engaged to Barry Sullivan, but Susan wants him for herself. Cecil Kellaway the local doctor has a young out of town doctor come to the city to help him. Loretta and Susan grew up in a wealthy family, and Alan Ladd the new doctor grew up poor in the same city. He believes that he can help Loretta with her deafness. While bringing her home one night, he notices Susan and Barry together. He doesn`t say anything to Loretta. I enjoy Susan so much in the behind the scenes conniving that she did so well. Tomorrow in ADAM HAD FOUR SONS 1940, she played the same type of role. I will find my video tape so I can see Susan`s performance in AND NOW TOMORROW again.

The only star who arguably combined beauty and acting ability to the degree that Hayward did was Ingrid Bergman.

• Like 1

The only star who arguably combined beauty and acting ability to the degree that Hayward did was Ingrid Bergman.

After posting my desire to see AND NOW TOMORROW 1944 again, I discovered that the film is on You Tube. The quality isn`t always the greatest on that site, but I am rewatching the movie anyway.

Y'know, I really liked him in The Moodies but when he and John Lodge went and did that BlueJays thing in '75 it just blew me away and...OH! you meant SUSAN ?!?

err...never mind

post-44300-0-19701200-1441313974_thumb.jpg

She was kinda' hot too....

post-44300-0-19701200-1441313974_thumb.jpg

I would put Garbo and Dietrich in there too but I know that many others might not agree.

I've always liked Ada.  Maybe because it has Hayward and Dean Martin and is about corrupt Southern politics (is there any other kind?).

It's well worth watching.

• Like 2

I've always liked Ada.  Maybe because it has Hayward and Dean Martin and is about corrupt Southern politics (is there any other kind?).

It's well worth watching.

I agree about ADA. Underrated, and Hayward is terrific. .

• Like 1

I'd put Jennifer Jones on that short list too though. There's also Vivien Leigh- but her filmography is miniscule compared to Hayward's.

I wonder why they had SMASH-UP!: STORY OF A WOMAN on at 6:00 am and BEAU GESTE, which she's in for, what? three? four minutes?, on at 8:00 pm.

At least the print they showed was decent (SMASH-UP is in the public domain and needs a restoration.)

Only reason I can think of is it was her 1st role with top 6 billing--it was preferable to "Girls on Probation" (1937), which is a piece of ***** & stars Ronnie Reagan--am waiting for Marion Davies this afternoon.  Back to Susan.

I wonder why they had SMASH-UP!: STORY OF A WOMAN on at 6:00 am and BEAU GESTE, which she's in for, what? three? four minutes?, on at 8:00 pm.

At least the print they showed was decent (SMASH-UP is in the public domain and needs a restoration.)

There's no logic to their scheduling choices...............

• Like 1

I'd put Jennifer Jones on that short list too though. There's also Vivien Leigh- but her filmography is miniscule compared to Hayward's.

Agree.

• Like 1

Hepburn---too skinny........Taylor--got too fat        Dietrich-fell a bit short on both counts

Well, everyone cant be perfect like you (LOL) Dietrich short on both counts??? Cant think of anyone who aged better........

• Like 1

....one thing I don't get: why did they hire Eddie Albert to play pretty much the exact same role in I'LL CRY TOMORROW that he does in SMASH-UP! ? It would seem like the producers of that movie would want to differentiate it from SMASH-UP! at least a little....