Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Haywire over Hayward.

This is a somewhat unrelated note, but I watched the Academy Awards footage from the year Lila Kedrova won supporting actress (1965). it was a well-attended category, Grayson Hall was there looking very chic, Gladys Cooper was there, and Agnes Moorehead (the favorite for SWEET CHARLOTTE) as there and I SWEAR TO YOU, SHE IS TOTALLY MADE UP AS ENDORA. The eyes, the lashes, the hair helmet....it's in black and white, but you just know it was fire engine red in real life.

here tis:

LOL. Maybe she came from the Bewitched set and there was no time to work up a new doo!

• Like 1

...I wonder if after she lost, Agnes just ripped off the piece a flung it a few rows back. Like, "oh well, I lost, but at least I can take this damn thing off."

LOL. It had to be hot wearing that thing. So Aggie was the favorite? I didnt know that. She must've been crushed to lose to Kedrova who was a dark horse if there ever was one. I think that was Aggie's last shot at an Oscar........

LOL. It had to be hot wearing that thing. So Aggie was the favorite? I didnt know that. She must've been crushed to lose to Kedrova who was a dark horse if there ever was one. I think that was Aggie's last shot at an Oscar........

it was.

nomination #4 (she had been up for MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, MRS PARKINGTON and JOHNNY BELINDA before, all of which were superior to HUSH HUSH.) In fact, she won the National Board of Review award for Best Actress for AMBERSONS (not even supporting!) and she is one of the only things I like about JOHNNY BELINDA- her character undergoes a really interesting and believable change in the story and Aggie conveys it wonderfully.

And according to INSIDE OSCAR, Agnes was very much considered the favorite for SWEET CHARLOTTE, although more for the "give it to her, it's time" sense than the "it's a great performance and a worthy movie" sense. As for the competition, Gladys Cooper really doesn't have a very substantial role in MY FAIR LADY, Grayson Hall is a delight in IGUANA, but it's not a major enough part to be considered, and I don't know who Edith Evans was: so it makes sense that Aggie would be considered the one "due" out of the lot.

Hibi--Edith Evans was up for "The Chalk Garden".  Haven't seen film.

Oh, I'd forgotten she was nominated for that.

I've seen it, but not for many years. (one of the many Universal/Paramount films that TCM never broadcasts...)

She should've been nominated for Dark Passage too........

What was Edith Evans up for that year?

Agnes Moorehead was fantastic in Dark Passage.  Her "showdown" (if you will) with Bogart in her apartment is one of the best scenes in the film, and her "exit" from the scene and a total twist in the plot took me by surprise the first time I saw it.  

I thought she was great in The Magnificent Ambersons too, probably the best character in the film.  I also loved her in Caged.  If there was ever an actress who deserved an Oscar, it's her.  

I love Agnes Moorehead.  She's fantastic and I always try to see films that she appears in.  Even in the smallest of parts (like Citizen Kane), she always makes the best of the part and is often one of the highlights of the film. 

• Like 3

to me, Agnes Moorehead's finest hour is is THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, a film I'm not really crazy about (although I realize it is good) but her work in that film is SUPERB, especially the staircase fight and her last scenes in the movie when her character has been reduced to nothing.

She lost that year to TERESA WRIGHT, who was double-nominated for Best Actress for PRIDE OF THE YANKEES and supporting for MRS MINIVER (winning for MINIVER.) I'm glad Teresa got an Oscar, but in the long run, as great an actress as she was, her overall contribution to film was not as significant as Mooreheads- who is constantly showing up in films for the next two decades and is always fun to watch whether's she's acting as a realistic "grounding" for a film like CAGED or doing some subtle work as in ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS or blowing the lid off things and taking it to a "ten" to wonderful results (more films than I can mention here.)

• Like 1

Is VALLEY OF THE DOLLS Really a TCM premiere? Seems.I have seen it on the station before in the not too distant past, unless I'm confusing this with FMC.

I'm pretty sure it is. It's been run on other networks..........