Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Haywire over Hayward.

Wow.

THE MARRIAGE-GO-ROUND is terrible.

You're telling me! I watched about half of it, using picture in picture. Hayward was really miscast, but it wasn't her fault. Hard to believe this play ran for a year and a half on Broadway. Nothing to it. I could see Colbert playing the part.

Hmmm.

I just found the whole thing static and stagey and I can't recall a single laugh or line of funny dialogue. The film presents us with this strange, comedic scenario, but then doesn't do or say or build anything on it that is funny in any way.

Newmar was terrific though, it's a shame her film career never took off. She was so convincingly Swedish and didn't even look like herself, if not for her height, I wouldn't have even guessed it was her.

Yeah, there were a couple lame laughs here and there (mostly from Hayward) A real stinker...........The framing device must've been invented for the movie.........

You're telling me! I watched about half of it, using picture in picture. Hayward was really miscast, but it wasn't her fault. Hard to believe this play ran for a year and a half on Broadway. Nothing to it. I could see Colbert playing the part.

Thought the exact same.

and

YES!

(assuming, of course, that you mean Claudette and not Stephen.)

YEP! And what woman is named CONTENT? CONTENT? Besides Hayward's role in this movie?? (assuming it was in the play too) LMREO.

I missed that.

Just went to imdb and found Hayward's character was named Content Delville.

What in the living name of all holy Hell is that about?

Newmar was terrific though, it's a shame her film career never took off. She was so convincingly Swedish and didn't even look like herself, if not for her height, I wouldn't have even guessed it was her.

And her character's sudden reversal at the end comes out of nowhere and is completely unbelievable. Would think something like this would close on the road. I guess Colbert (Claudette!) and Boyer drew them in (and probably Newmar in some skimpy undress).....

I missed that.

Just went to imdb and found Hayward's character was named Content Delville.

What in the living name of all holy Hell is that about?

I remember her having an odd name in the film (even though I'd never seen it) Where did the playwright dig up THAT name????

I know.

In real life, I think we all know Suzie would say, "honey, go in the kitchen and get me the stepladder. I think once I get this ***** by the hair, I can manage to drag her out of here."

You know Susan would've taken no prisoners..............LOL.

• Like 2

And her character's sudden reversal at the end comes out of nowhere and is completely unbelievable. Would think something like this would close on the road. I guess Colbert (Claudette!) and Boyer drew them in (and probably Newmar in some skimpy undress).....

I did not know Colbert and Boyer did the play.

Now it makes sense that it was a hit on Broadway. Those two plus Julie Newmar could probably read the Long Island phonebook and run for at least 300 performances.

Man, what a lucky author to get that level of talent to do your terrible, terrible play. (and of course, I can see the mistake in casting Hayward and Mason for the movie, because while they weren't young at the time, they still had quite a bit of individual sex appeal. I could see where the comedy would come from in the story of a frumpy intellectual middle aged couple who has their marriage challenged by a young babe.)

• Like 1

You know Susan would've taken no prisoners..............LOL.

Quite frankly, neither would I.

THAT was what was SO NUTS about the film, that the wife is so cool and seemingly unaffected by this. Even after finding out what Swiss Miss is up to, she plays it low key.

I would be removing my earrings and getting the furniture out of the way to prepare with an epic throwdown...provided the man was worth fighting for.

• Like 1

Quite frankly, neither would I.

THAT was what was SO NUTS about the film, that the wife is so cool and seemingly unaffected by this. Even after finding out what Swiss Miss is up to, she plays it low key.

I would be removing my earrings and getting the furniture out of the way to prepare with an epic throwdown...provided the man was worth fighting for.

LOL. But then this piffle wouldn't exist. (Good plan though!) :D

Now it makes sense that it was a hit on Broadway. Those two plus Julie Newmar could probably read the Long Island phonebook and run for at least 300 performances.

Man, what a lucky author to get that level of talent to do your terrible, terrible play. (and of course, I can see the mistake in casting Hayward and Mason for the movie, because while they weren't young at the time, they still had quite a bit of individual sex appeal. I could see where the comedy would come from in the story of a frumpy intellectual middle aged couple who has their marriage challenged by a young babe.)

Yeah, some plays just shouldn't be filmed. Something was lost in transition here, or maybe not and the play was as bad as the movie and it was all casting...........

• Like 1

Yeah, but Susan wasn't a bit frumpy! Maybe it would have been funnier if played that way (by both stars)........but I DOUBT IT.

Yeah, good luck getting Susan to play frumpy.

YOU get to go in her trailer and tell her.

LOL. Yeah, something tells me that would be hazardous to your health.......but I don't imagine Colbert was either....

Claudette would be like, "yeah, I'll play it frumpy...on the right side of my face,,,"

Claudette would be like, "yeah, I'll play it frumpy...on the right side of my face,,,"

LOL. I just know she made her entrances and exits from stage right, or would it be left? I get my stage directions mixed up! Is it from the audience's viewpoint or the actor's?

LOL. I just know she made her entrances and exits from stage right, or would it be left? I get my stage directions mixed up! Is it from the audience's viewpoint or the actor's?

I'm sure she could figure it out.

Maybe she was more lax in her hemispherical face policy when doing legit theatuh (back then only so many were gonna see it.)

I'm sure she could figure it out.

Maybe she was more lax in her hemispherical face policy when doing legit theatuh (back then only so many were gonna see it.)

LOL. True. Not noticeable from a distance (I doubt it was that noticeable close up either!)

Yeah, but Susan wasn't a bit frumpy! Maybe it would have been funnier if played that way (by both stars)........but I DOUBT IT.

While.Susan wasn't frumpy, James Mason most certainly was. But I don't think frumpiness was a criteria, just a long-married couple, with a new babe inspiring the 16 year itch.

I always thought that more expert.comedy players would've made the difference. Say, Cary Grant and Colbert, although she was no longer doing films. Or maybe Deborah Kerr (now she Could play frumpy), or Linda Darnell, who was a little young (around 36), but who was looking a little frumpy and could play comedy. Or even Doris Day, but she was now in her v irgin phase, and probably would not have wanted to play the mother of two teenagers.

Stage right and stage left from the actor's perspective.

Camera right and camera left are from the camera's perspective (so it would be the reverse direction for the movie actors). 

• Like 1