Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Haywire over Hayward.

Also in reference to the Oscar clip, I don't think Hayward could possibly have been dressed better either. That is a wonderful outfit she has on, kind of a nod to her role (her character wears a similar nightgown in a famous scene) and it's very elegant, yet sexy. And the gloves are nice too.

Lol. Except that Hayward's Oscar night gown had one of those full poufy 50s skirts. You can't tell from the photos. The top portion looks similar though.

Vogue should feature a layout on the well-dressed death sentencee.

And Martha Stewart.can contribute an article on what the well decorated.cell.can look.like, and how to get the look from everyday items lying about.

• Like 2

And Martha Stewart.can contribute an article on what the well decorated.cell.can look.like, and how to get the look from everyday items lying about.

LOL. She would know...........

• Like 1

..with suggestions for recipes for the last meal.

• Like 2

Anyone else out there feeling withdrawal symptoms, now that September is over, wishing there will be more weekly lineups of Susan Hayward films? Seriously.

• Like 2

Anyone else out there feeling withdrawal symptoms, now that September is over, wishing there will be more weekly lineups of Susan Hayward films? Seriously.

All things must come to pass.

I know I'll miss this thread, it's been a fun one.

• Like 2

Susan at the 1974 Academy awards, presenting Best Actress with Charlton Heston (their entrance is not part of the clip, but Susan looks terrific and love her pronunciation of "The Ex Or Cyst" and "Summahwishes, Wintahdreams.")

(Also notable, but on a non-Susan note, is Ellen Burstyn's reaction to Glenda Jackson's second Oscar victory.

It is some HEAVY SHADE. )

• Like 3

..with suggestions for recipes for the last meal.

LMREO. If I recall Susan didnt eat anything. Martha wouldnt approve!

Well, if I can get I'll Plant My Own Tree outta my head, maybe it's a good thing!

• Like 1

DownGoesFrazier--I had to look up cthonian on Dictionary.com--it means Beings or related to gods under the earth--She was a goddess who walked the earth in human form is what slaytonf means, I Think.

DownGoesFrazier--I had to look up cthonian on Dictionary.com--it means Beings or related to gods under the earth--She was a goddess who walked the earth in human form is what slaytonf means, I Think.

This is esoterica on steroids.

In other words, an Earth Goddess.

• Like 1

..and so ends the discussion.

Seems like a good example of the discussion on that other thread, about letting these die a natural death.

• Like 1

Old threads never die.  They get buried.

Madame-Blunden.jpg

(...courtesy Hammer Film Productions)

• Like 2

Back Street had the usual impossibly saccharine ending  that Hollywood films of that era were forced to be saddled with, but beyond that and the lavish production values, what stood out for me after thinking about it was this: 

Susan Hayward, age 43, made a perfectly credible romantic partner for John Gavin, age 30.  So credible that it didn't even cross my mind until I remembered seeing Hayward in movies from the late 30's.

I'm sure that there were other movies like that, but I can't think of any where the older woman and younger man were believably romantic in traditional Hollywood terms.  I'm not thinking of the two movies with Mae West and Cary Grant, which was about as unlikely a match in real life as Harold and Maude.

Actually a very good remake.  AT the time I first saw this one I was ten or eleven and it was on TV.  I remember being so impressed by Susan's lovely voice, her appearance and aristocratic bearing (beautifully inherent in many of her films) that I did not realize there was an age gap between her and her suitor Walter (John Gavin).   Susan was another favorite of my mother.

Since that time I have seen Back Street  on TCM, having seen  the two original films on AMC.  I feel that each version poignantly portrays the story.  Irene Dunne and John Boles in the 30's  and then Margaret Sullavan and Charles Boyer in the 40's .  But yes, that would be hard to play a part like that For Susan.  But she was a wonderful and talented actress to the end and always looked lovely. 

Sadly, I had viewed Stolen Hours in the 70's  and then heard the tragic news (when I was in my early 20's) of Susan's passing,   What a marvelous career!  I had assumed that she was a 50's and 60's actress primarily and later discovered some good 40's films too which Susan greatly enhanced.   (  But I do prefer With a Song in MY Heart and I'll Cry Tomorrow and My Foolish Heart - all great and powerful 50's performances! )

• Like 1

I'll miss this one too.  For me Susan has always been an important part of my growing up years;  movies played an integral part in my life from an early age and Susan was part of it.  Her lovely appearance, courage and forthright manner were always wonderful to behold.  I found myself over the years wishing to emulate this great lady.