Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Haywire over Hayward.

slaytonf

While I appreciate Hayward's ambition to succeed with stronger roles to prove herself, as well as her skill as an actress, that hard nosed **** quality about her I always found a bit off putting. I have a hard time saying that I actually like Susan Hayward.

Somewhere I heard an anecdote that during the filming of Garden of Evil in Mexico some of the cast and crew were gathered in a local bar for relaxation. Hayward then entered the joint and ordered a drink, which she finished by herself. No person came near her. She then left the bar by herself, even though, by now, a well known Hollywood star. The lady could be intimidating.

That toughness some will rightly say helped her to be a survivor in a brutal industry known for chewing up so many (though her best roles were behind her, ironically, after she finally won her Oscar for a terrifically honest, tough performance). Again, I can admire the lady but I don't ever seeing myself having feelings of affection for her (I rather doubt that Hayward herself would have ever given a damn about such a thing either).

In Hayward's case, I don't think it was so much the "Oscar curse", where everything afterwards is downhill (which it was for the most part). Rather, she had finally achieved this, after four previous nominations, and no longer felt that drive. Plus she had married her secomd husband in 1956, and happily went into semi-retirement in rural Georgia. She wanted as little to do with Hollywood, taking the occasional film offer, but turning down many more; among the roles she turned down was the one played by Jean Simmons in ELMER GANTRY. She just no longer cared feeling fullfilled careerwise and personally.

I'm racking my brains to come up with one to prove you wrong, but coming up with bupkus.

They might not have all been Oscar winners when the film was made, but Network features 4 Best Actor/Actress winners in the leading roles: (Faye Dunaway, William Holden, Peter Finch and Robert Duvall),

Walter Wanger's guidance of Susan Hayward's career in the second half of the 40s, securing her such films.as.CANYON PASSAGE, SMASH UP and TULSA,.finally made Susan a star. At the end of the decade, Wanger's financial debacle with JOAN OF ARC led.him to sell her contract.to 20th Century Fox, where she would soon become one of the biggest stars of the 50s.

OMG, CAN YOU IMAGINE SUSAN AS JOAN OF ARC!!!!?????

JOAN d'ARC

(with cigarette dangling from her lip)

"Think ya' can just burn me?

Say I'm in league with the

devil? OH NO: not when I bailed your keester out

of the tightest bind it's been in since the

grape harvest went bad! Well all

the next wars are on you,Buster,

you ungrateful bunch of damn dirty frogs!"

(she looks to the men carrying torches)

"Now: whichever one of you sonsa'bitches

gets to wear the pair today: gimme a light.

I'm dyin' for a smoke."

They might not have all been Oscar winners when the film was made, but Network features 4 Best Actor/Actress winners in the leading roles: (Faye Dunaway, William Holden, Peter Finch and Robert Duvall),

But it counts because none of the actors had won oscars when they did BEAU GESTE.

Oh thankyouso.

IN YOUR FACE DGF! (via proxy)

I totally agree. TCM should have switched those two time slots. SMASH UP is essential Hayward, and merits a prime time slot, whereas BEAU GESTE is an asterisk in the Hayward filmography. I believe she referred to her role in it as, "I wave to the men at the beginning of the film as they march off, and I wave to them at the end when they return", or something to that effect.

it really is, in fact, I really prefer it altogether to I'LL CRY TOMORROW, although I know I'LL CRY TOMORROW is technically a better film.

SMASH-UP has the production values and script of a PRC film (it was independently made, yes?) but she is just so good in it. I think I recall reading her Best Actress nomination for it was a big deal- unexpected and very talked-about. Of the nominated actresses, she really is the best (although, sue me, I like Loretta Young in FARMER'S DAUGHTER.)

if SMASH-UP had been a bigger film she might well have won for it, and if I'LL CRY TOMORROW weren't so much like SMASH-UP, she might well've won for it...)

the only reason I can think of for SMASH UP not being given a prime slot in the Hayward festival would be, again, it's in the Public Domain and most prints of it are not in as good a quality as would be best to fully appreciate the movie. (it really makes a huge difference when you watch something in its best visual quality without all the hissing and popping on the soundtrack.)

it is a film that I think deserves to be restored.

My first guess would have been How the West Was Won, which, as it turns out has Henry Fonda, John Wayne, James Stewart, and as the narrator, Spencer Tracy.

;)

Sorry, speedracer. Peter Finch was never an Academy Award winner. Better make that three Oscar winners for Network.

Of course, Beatrice Straight would actually win an Oscar in that film for a teeny tiny supporting role. In that respect, you can still say there were four Oscar winners associated with Network.

Sorry, speedracer. Peter Finch was never an Academy Award winner. Better make that three Oscar winners for Network.

Of course, Beatrice Straight would actually win an Oscar in that film for a teeny tiny supporting role. In that respect, you can still say there were four Oscar winners associated with Network.

Sorry to correct you but Peter Finch did win the Best Actor Oscar for Network.  Posthumously.

I was an extra in the tv audience scenes of the Howard Beal show.  After wrap some old lady said to Mr. Finch "oh, Mr. Finch I just know that you are going to win an Oscar for this."  To which he replied "Thank you.  But you must never say such things.  They bring bad luck."

And ironically they were both right.  He did win - after he had died.

Sorry to correct you but Peter Finch did win the Best Actor Oscar for Network.  Posthumously.

I was an extra in the tv audience scenes of the Howard Beal show.  After wrap some old lady said to Mr. Finch "oh, Mr. Finch I just know that you are going to win an Oscar for this."  To which he replied "Thank you.  But you must never say such things.  They bring bad luck."

And ironically they were both right.  He did win - after he had died.

Allow me to take my foot out of my mouth long enough to say "Sorry, Speedracer. My mistake" as well as, "Thanks, Bogie, for that anecdote. Do you ever spot yourself when you watch the film?"

Allow me to take my foot out of my mouth long enough to say "Sorry, Speedracer. My mistake" as well as, "Thanks, Bogie, for that anecdote. Do you ever spot yourself when you watch the film?"

Yes, sure.  But not in the youtube clip.  I think I'm seen better in the other Howard Beal show episode.  I will have to try a screen capture one of these days.  I have it on dvd but haven't seen it since it was released in the theatres.

It was a great day and that old lady who spoke to Mr. Finch was sitting right beside me so I was pretty close to Howard Beal.

It was filmed at the CFTO studios in Scarborough and the MC of the Howard Beal show was one of the CTV newscasters.  You will recognize his voice.

Sidney Lumet directing Finch was "darling this and sweetheart that."  Illuminating.

Yes, sure.  But not in the youtube clip.  I think I'm seen better in the other Howard Beal show episode.  I will have to try a screen capture one of these days.  I have it on dvd but haven't seen it since it was released in the theatres.

It was a great day and that old lady who spoke to Mr. Finch was sitting right beside me so I was pretty close to Howard Beal.

It was filmed at the CFTO studios in Scarborough and the MC of the Howard Beal show was one of the CTV newscasters.  You will recognize his voice.

Sidney Lumet directing Finch was "darling this and sweetheart that."  Illuminating.

Hey, Bogie, that's great. It sounds like you had a good time. On top of that, you can also honestly say that you have appeared in a film classic.

Hope you have some luck with that screen capture. Otherwise you might be telling us that you're mad as hell and won't take it anymore!

HEY! I'd really like to see this screen capture of you here, Bogie. Get on this right away, will ya?! Don't delay now!

(...and thus avoiding me having to express my frustration with you by shouting out in all uppercase letters, "I'M AS MAD AS.....well, you know where I was goin' with this, right?!) ;)

HEY! I'd really like to see this screen capture of you here, Bogie. Get on this right away, will ya?! Don't delay now!

(...and thus avoiding me having to express my frustration with you by shouting out in all uppercase letters, "I'M AS MAD AS.....well, you know where I was goin' with this, right?!) ;)

I made need some assistance.  So far, the screen captures I have done are somehow too big as files to attach.  I haven't been able to master the art of attaching pictures as yet.

- your Global Village idiot

I made need some assistance.  So far, the screen captures I have done are somehow too big as files to attach.  I haven't been able to master the art of attaching pictures as yet.

- your Global Village idiot

Try this image resizer website here, Bogie. This is the one I'll occasionally use to reduce the images I've posted in websites.

The step-by-step instructions are pretty easy to follow.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

WOW!

(...and here all this time I thought we had only ONE major "control freak" around here?!!!)

LOL

;)

I believe that the only later film that met the criteria established in BEAU GESTE, 4 future best actress or actor Oscar winners in the cast, was GODFATHER  II. Future winners Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, and Diane Keaton were all in the cast.

I believe that the only later film that met the criteria established in BEAU GESTE, 4 future best actress or actor Oscar winners in the cast, was GODFATHER  II. Future winners Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, and Diane Keaton were all in the cast.

0590761_12126_MC_Tx304.jpg

DAMN YOU! DAAAAAAMN YOU!

PS- CONGRATULATIONS.

Archived