Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Haywire over Hayward.

I don't know much about Susan Hayward except for her unfortunate role in The Conqueror, which for whatever reason, I'm looking forward to.

I recorded Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman, but I haven't watched it yet.

I want to see The Lusty Men which I missed during Robert Mitchum's SUTS tribute. 

I also want to see I Want to Live! which I understand is the ultimate Susan Hayward performance.  For some reason, women prison films are interesting to me. 

I also want to see Valley of the Dolls, I haven't seen it before--even though it's been on Netflix Instant Streaming forever.

I don't know much about Susan Hayward except for her unfortunate role in The Conqueror, which for whatever reason, I'm looking forward to.

I recorded Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman, but I haven't watched it yet.

I want to see The Lusty Men which I missed during Robert Mitchum's SUTS tribute. 

I also want to see I Want to Live! which I understand is the ultimate Susan Hayward performance.  For some reason, women prison films are interesting to me. 

I also want to see Valley of the Dolls, I haven't seen it before--even though it's been on Netflix Instant Streaming forever.

Along with THE LUSTY MEN, I recommend the rest of this Thursday's Susan Hayward lineup. The films are mostly 20th

Century Fox films, other than TLM, and are the films that cemented her as one.of the top stars of the 1950s. All have something worthwhile.

I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE (1951): Susan rises from rags to riches in the rag trade. She partners with Dan Dailey (in a then rare dramatic role) and Sam Jaffe, to help her move from model to dress designer. Later, she wants to move into more haute couture, and uses George Sanders for this. Sanders, in a retread of his Addison Dewitt characterization (for which was then winning an Oscar), helps to deflate her inflated ambitions. An enjoyable film, with a typically gutsy performance from Susan.

DAVID AND.BATHSHEBA (1951): Susan stars with Gregory Peck in this thoughful biblical epic. Her beauty tempts Peck's stoicism. Her role is subsidiary to his, but together they had the biggest grossing film in that year.

THE PRESIDENT'S LADY (1953): Frontier tale of Hayward as the woman who becomes involved with Andrew Jackson, and who sullies hisi political.chances because of her past. Very good performance by Susan, with a young.pre-stardom Charlton Heston as Jackson. The only drawback is that it wasn't in technicolor.

WITH A SONG IN MY HEART (1952): Susan won her third Oscar nomination with this colorful biopic, recounting the life of tragic torch singer Jane Froman. Froman chose her over other asiprants for the role, which included Anne Baxter, Jeanne Crain and Linda Darnell. She was supported by Rory Calhoun, David Wayne, and Thelma Ritter, once more nominated in the supporting category. Note: This role would be directly responsible for her getting I'LL CRY TOMORROW some three years later.

And of course, THE LUSTY MEN, the Nicholas Ray modern western she did on loan to RKO. With Robert Mitchum (in the first of two costarring roles with Hayward) and Arthur Kennedy, this tale of the rodeo circuit is gritty and exciting.

Btw, these films, along with almost all others in the Hayward canon, are far better than the ill-fated THE CONQUEROR.

• Like 3

Along with THE LUSTY MEN, I recommend the rest of this Thursday's Susan Hayward lineup. The films are mostly 20th

Century Fox films, other than TLM, and are the films that cemented her as one.of the top stars of the 1950s. All have something worthwhile.

I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE (1951): Susan rises from rags to riches in the rag trade. She partners with Dan Dailey (in a then rare dramatic role) and Sam Jaffe, to help her move from model to dress designer. Later, she wants to move into more haute couture, and uses George Sanders for this. Sanders, in a retread of his Addison Dewitt characterization (for which was then winning an Oscar), helps to deflate her inflated ambitions. An enjoyable film, with a typically gutsy performance from Susan.

DAVID AND.BATHSHEBA (1951): Susan stars with Gregory Peck in this thoughful biblical epic. Her beauty tempts Peck's stoicism. Her role is subsidiary to his, but together they had the biggest grossing film in that year.

THE PRESIDENT'S LADY (1953): Frontier tale of Hayward as the woman who becomes involved with Andrew Jackson, and who sullies hisi political.chances because of her past. Very good performance by Susan, with a young.pre-stardom Charlton Heston as Jackson. The only drawback is that it wasn't in technicolor.

WITH A SONG IN MY HEART (1952): Susan won her third Oscar nomination with this colorful biopic, recounting the life of tragic torch singer Jane Froman. Froman chose her over other asiprants for the role, which included Anne Baxter, Jeanne Crain and Linda Darnell. She was supported by Rory Calhoun, David Wayne, and Thelma Ritter, once more nominated in the supporting category. Note: This role would be directly responsible for her getting I'LL CRY TOMORROW some three years later.

And of course, THE LUSTY MEN, the Nicholas Ray modern western she did on loan to RKO. With Robert Mitchum (in the first of two costarring roles with Hayward) and Arthur Kennedy, this tale of the rodeo circuit is gritty and exciting.

Btw, these films, along with almost all others in the Hayward canon, are far better than the ill-fated THE CONQUEROR.

Thanks for the recommendations Arturo! I'll try to check out as many of them as I can. 

I don't expect The Conqueror to be good.  I just want to watch it because it's so notorious.  In fact, I'm expecting a terrible film.  I just want to see it.

• Like 3

Susan isn't bad in "The Conqueror" (1956)--at least no worse than the rest of the cast.  It's John Wayne who is disastrously miscast as Temujin/Genghis Khan--& Oscar Millard's woeful attempt at a Shakespeare level script--are what make this a "camp" classic.  A few samples (spelled as pronounced by Wayne):

Tj/GK --"Juhmooga, Ah feel this wuhman is for me; and mah blood says, Take Her!

Tj/GK, to murderous bride Bortai (Hayward)--"Yer beautiful in yer wrath!"

Tj/GK, to the sky--"Eternal skies, send me men!

Miscast as Wayne is, the real disaster is Millards' script; it comes off as a Baaaaaad retelling of "The Taming of the Shrew" set in Asia.  About "The Conqueror", Hayward was later quoted as saying "I had hysterics all through that one...it looked like a wild Irishman stopped off on the road to Old Cathay."

• Like 1

The Susan Hayward movie I'm most looking forward to is VALLEY OF THE DOLLS.

valley-of-the-dolls-patty-duke-susan-hay

LOL. Bad movie heaven!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

She is the best thing in the film.

True. The only bad thing is she isnt in it enough...........

Her rendition of I'LL PLANT MY OWN TREE is truly singular.

OK.  Now you've done it.  I will be hearing that damn (horrible) song in my head for the next 24 hours.

OK.  Now you've done it.  I will be hearing that damn (horrible) song in my head for the next 24 hours.

Mwahahahahahahahaa.

I think it would've helped the film immensely if, right before her big fight with Patty Duke, Susan had said, "Now I'm gonna plant my own foot right in your *** and call it my own" and then just knocked her lights right out.

• Like 1

LOL.  Well maybe not in that number..........some of the worst songs ever in that movie (thanks to Dory and Andre Previn)

Me too now. :(

Mwahahahahahahahaa.

I think it would've helped the film immensely if, right before her big fight with Patty Duke, Susan had said, "Now I'm gonna plant my own foot right in your *** and call it my own" and then just knocked her lights right out.

LMREO!!!

I'll Plant My Own Tree

I’ll plant my own tree and I’ll make it grow.
My tree will not be just one in a row.
My tree will offer shade
when strangers go by.
If you’re a stranger, brother, well so am I.
Come tomorrow all that I see is my tree,
oh, Lord, what a sight.
Let someone stop me and I will put up a fight.
It’s my yard so I’ll try hard
to welcome friends I have yet to know.
Oh, I’ll plant my own tree,
my own tree,
and I’ll make it grow.

My tree will offer shade
when strangers go by.
oh, Lord, what a sight.
my own tree,
and I’ll make it grow.

• Like 2

I'll Plant My Own Tree

I’ll plant my own tree and I’ll make it grow.

My tree will offer shade

when strangers go by.

oh, Lord, what a sight.

my own tree,

and I’ll make it grow.

My tree will offer shade

when strangers go by.

oh, Lord, what a sight.

my own tree,

and I’ll make it grow.

Gee thanks for that. You're so thoughtful!!! I can see the mobiles moving right now. :(

• Like 1

On a more positive note, I Can Get It For You Wholesale is on tonight. I havent seen that one.

• Like 2

Dory writing "I'll Plant My Own Tree" is probably what drove Andre to leave her for Mia.

• Like 2

Dory writing "I'll Plant My Own Tree" is probably what drove Andre to leave her for Mia.

LOL.

Aw, as over the top as Patty Duke is in this movie, I kinda love her in it.

Yeah, but just like Susan she isnt in it enough. But her sections are very entertaining!!! When those 2 arent featured the film is really boring......

Apparently Dory Previn was no stranger to drug problems which explains a lot about

"I'll Plant My Own Tree."  No one could have been in their right mind and write stuff like

"My TREE will not BE (hey, it rhymes!) just one in a row." 

Cole Porter and Ira Gershwin she was not.

Lydecker

• Like 2

Honestly, the lyrics to I'LL PLANT MY OWN TREE give one the sense that a gun was pulled on someone in the back seat of a taxi cab and then ordered "write a song about trees in three minutes or I kill you."

• Like 3

Honestly, the lyrics to I'LL PLANT MY OWN TREE give one the sense that a gun was pulled on someone in the back seat of a taxi cab and then ordered "write a song about trees in three minutes or I kill you."

Sammy Cahn, probably the fastest of the great lyricists, could have written a good one in 3 minutes.

• Like 1