Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Haywire over Hayward.

then maybe there is some sort of issue with the Salinger estate. Maybe they bought the rights back to MY FOOLISH HEART and are sitting on it.

( I brought up earlier that I read somewhere that JD Salinger so hated what they did to his original story he vowed never to let any of his works be filmed again.)

then maybe there is some sort of issue with the Salinger estate. Maybe they bought the rights back to MY FOOLISH HEART and are sitting on it.

( I brought up earlier that I read somewhere that JD Salinger so hated what they did to his original story he vowed never to let any of his works be filmed again.)

Unless I'm mistaken, I saw part of MY FOOLISH HEART about 5-10 years ago. So it had to be on either TCM or FMC, probably FMC if it was a Fox film.

I believe I posted about My Foolish Heart first.  I note the films that I would like to record when the schedule first comes out so as the date approached I noticed that it was no longer on the schedule.

It used to play all the time.  Perhaps on other channels.

It doesn't appear to be on dvd either.  But they are selling some sort of copy in Spain!

Forgive me!

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken, I saw part of MY FOOLISH HEART about 5-10 years ago. So it had to be on either TCM or FMC, probably FMC if it was a Fox film.

TCM has played it before. But I dont recall recently. Has been awhile.......

I'm almost sure TCM has shown it in the last few years (it's not a Fox film). I have it on dvd, which means I recorded it after June 2011, when I bought the dvd recorder, most likely from TCM.

TCM's salute to Susan Hayward continues tonight, starting off with two epics. The first, DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS, is the biblical.sequel to the first Cinemascope film, THE ROBE. The second, THE CONQUEROR, is the ill-fated epic of the Mongol empire, with miscasting of some of the main roles, and tragic results decades later due to some atomic testing in the Nevada desert during the filming.

These two are followed by two tour-de-force dramas, I'LL CRY TOMORROW, and I WANT TO LIVE! Susan would receive her fourth and fifth nominations for these, winning for the.latter.

In between, she did a comedy with Kirk Douglas, TOP-SECRET AFFAIR; neither star was known for having a light touch. They were used byWB to replace the roles originally envisioned for Bogart and Bacall, but Bogie was too sick when production was about to start.

• Like 3

TCM's salute to Susan Hayward continues tonight, starting off with two epics. The first, DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS, is the biblical.sequel to the first Cinemascope film, THE ROBE. The second, THE CONQUEROR, is the ill-fated epic of the Mongol empire, with miscasting of some of the main roles, and tragic results decades later due to some atomic testing in the Nevada desert during the filming.

These two are followed by two tour-de-force dramas, I'LL CRY TOMORROW, and I WANT TO LIVE! Susan would receive her fourth and fifth nominations for these, winning for the.latter.

In between, she did a comedy with Kirk Douglas, TOP-SECRET AFFAIR; neither star was known for having a light touch. They were used byWB to replace the roles originally envisioned for Bogart and Bacall, but Bogie was too sick when production was about to start.

I don't understand why I'LL CRY TOMORROW and I WANT TO LIVE weren't at 8 and 10, rather than being relegated to the graveyard shift.

• Like 4

I don't understand why I'LL CRY TOMORROW and I WANT TO LIVE weren't at 8 and 10, rather than being relegated to the graveyard shift.

+1.

Although both show pretty regularly on TCM (for a while, they were about the only Hayward movies we ever got to see.)

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS more than I thought it would- it really sort of "came together" at the end, making a solid point about faith and humanity. I generally tend to not take a lot of interest in the big 1950's "ta-tas and togas" epics, but this was clocked in at under two hours, which helped a lot.

...And then I stayed up for a good bit of THE CONQUEROR.

Wow, that movie....just, wow.

ps- wow.

pss- hope Mod1 doesn't have a stroke at the sight of the word "ta-tas."

Replying to DownGoesFrazier--Particularly as "I'll Cry Tomorrow" has Hayward's best performance in it (but she was always good, IMO, even when miscast in nonsense like "The Conqueror".  "Demetrius & the Gladiators" was ok--for certain better than TC--TC was not the laugh riot I remembered from college--I must have been desperate for something to keep me awake while studying--Oscar Millard's script was just as disastrous as I remembered (the "Eternal skies" routine was especially bad--Wayne looked ill while speaking the lines)--but overall John Wayne seemed to have improved--the number with the harem(?) girls looked like a bad SuperBowl halftime routine.  What a Mess of a movie to have ultimately cost so much talent.

Edit--LornaHansonForbes--thanks for the Academy Awards clip.  It was past time she won, IMO. 

• Like 1

--the number with the harem(?) girls looked like a bad SuperBowl halftime routine. 

So in other words: a Superbowl halftime routine.

ps- that, and Suzie's accompanying dance-of-the-one-veil (the six others were at the cleaner's I guess) was the highlight of the film.

• Like 2

Replying to DownGoesFrazier--Particularly as "I'll Cry Tomorrow" has Hayward's best performance in it (but she was always good, IMO, even when miscast in nonsense like "The Conqueror".  "Demetrius & the Gladiators" was ok--for certain better than TC--TC was not the laugh riot I remembered from college--I must have been desperate for something to keep me awake while studying--Oscar Millard's script was just as disastrous as I remembered (the "Eternal skies" routine was especially bad (Wayne looked ill while speaking the lines)--but overall John Wayne seemed to have improved--the number with the harem(?) girls looked like a bad SuperBowl halftime routine.  What a Mess of a movie to have ultimately cost so much talent.

Edit--LornaHansonForbes--thanks for the Academy Awards clip.  It was past time she won, IMO. 

A bad halftime routine, but without the wardrobe malfunction.

• Like 1

...And then I stayed up for a good bit of THE CONQUEROR.

i couldn't take more than about 10 minutes of it. It was a very stupid film.

on last nite's airing of  I'LL CRY TOMORROW,  last 10 min. or so were abruptly cut off.

--just as SH was walking down aisle to Ralph Edwards tv show

???

(there's a number of mentions on TCM's FB page....so it wasn't just ME! )

:blink:

on last nite's airing of  I'LL CRY TOMORROW,  last 10 min. or so were abruptly cut off.

--just as SH was walking down aisle to Ralph Edwards tv show

???

(there's a number of mentions on TCM's FB page....so it wasn't just ME! )

:blink:

YEP. Happened with me too. Was NOT HAPPY. There was plenty of time before the next film. Must've been a computer glitch. Completely ruined the mood of the film. :(

• Like 1

i couldn't take more than about 10 minutes of it. It was a very stupid film.

I tried. It was just SO BAD. And Wayne looked ridiculous. No one came off well though. : I sat through about an hr of it, but wasnt paying close attention a lot of the time.......

The TCM mad programmer at it again. Like there are thousands who want to watch The Conqueror??

• Like 1

I tried. It was just SO BAD. And Wayne looked ridiculous. No one came off well though. : I sat through about an hr of it, but wasnt paying close attention a lot of the time.......

He sounded like Ethan Edwards to me.

The TCM mad programmer at it again. Like there are thousands who want to watch The Conqueror??

well, for the record, I REALLY DID, but no one has ever accused me of having good taste.

• Like 2

well, for the record, I REALLY DID, but no one has ever accused me of having good taste.

Ha, ha, ha, I'll bet you have a fantasy of being kidnapped by a Mongol War Lord! :)

He sounded like Ethan Edwards to me.

I did such a double take on reading that.

It's funny, because I was thinking earlier today how interesting it was that Wayne gave (arguably) his worst performance in his worst film and (arguably) his best performance in his best film IN THE SAME YEAR (1956) in, respectively, THE CONQUEROR and THE SEARCHERS.

• Like 1

...and for the record, I think Wayne was one of the best actors of his generation and I rankle a tad when people say he always played the same role.

that said:

he is AWFUL in THE CONQUEROR. So bad, in fact, that I really did not notice much else of what was going on. SO BAD, he made EVERYTHING ELSE about the movie LOOK GOOD, and I think he wasn't the only big problem with the film.

It was just an all-encompassing BADNESS that obscured near-everything else on screen.

(bless his heart.)

• Like 1

Dick Powell directed The Conqueror (1956).

And really, he didn't do all that bad a job considering what he had to work with (horrible script, bad casting, irradiated sand, reshoots, a megalomaniacal film producer who wears kleenex boxes on his feet and sends you ninety-eight page memos every day....I can only imagine what circle of Hell it was closest to.)

• Like 2